V2.0 Beta - "retire_capture_urb: 5000 callbacks suppressed" error in syslog

I get this error 1000’s of time every minute. “retire_capture_urb: 5000 callbacks suppressed”
Build is duplex to simple USB device - Repeater Builder RIM Lite (C119A), Rpi 3B, and recent v2.0 Beta of ASL. Linux barc-asl 5.4.51-v7-asl+ #1 SMP Sat Aug 29 13:44:27 EDT 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux
PRETTY_NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)”
NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux”
VERSION=“10 (buster)”

I have read Rich’s post, Started seeing Error Messages in syslog.
Definitely associated with the USB audio device. I have used the same RIM with a Hamvoip build RPi3b+ , ArchLinux of course, without the error appearing. much older release, kernel 4.14.97-1-ARCH #1 SMP Tue Feb 5 20:10:34 UTC 2019 than the ASL Beta at 5.4.51-v7-asl+ #1 SMP Sat Aug 29 13:44:27 EDT 2020. Hard to compare the two.

This error spams the system log. Very annoying. I have Googled “retire_capture_urb: 2 callbacks suppressed” many times in may ways. Lots of complaints and on differing platforms, however no hint of a fix.


Posted there 3 day ago. No response so far.

@kuggie Struggling with “retire_capture_urb: 5000 callbacks suppressed”. Kills all audio. repeater does manage to get out a brief ID on boot then no more audio. See above.

I see you tagged me in this thread - but I don’t know why… Can you tell me why?

Kevin W3KKC

That was my mistake. I intended ti send him ti the manufacture of the interface. I believe that is repeater-builder the company, not you.

@vk4pk Assuming you purchased the interface from the manufacture, I believe you should contact repeater-builder to see if they know of any issues.

I have just discovered the cause of this issue. After much gnashing of teeth and ripping at what little hair I have, I discovered that replacing a 12v to 5V buck type PSU used to power the RPI resolved the issue.

I my case this error was all about RADIO FREQUENCY NOISE, so if anyone gets the retire_capture_urb error start by chasing RFI!

If I knew where to start it would have saved me many hours. I started off thinking is was a Buster Driver issue, then a ASL Beta issue, and lastly started chasing component. Replaced the Repeater Builder RIM to eliminate that, loaded Hamvoip to eliminate OS and ASL Beta. In the end it was a bad PSU!

It pays to poke around with a scope and do not assume all components are good quality or in good working order. Sadly, being a software guy the scope generally comes last.

BTW. I did check in with Scott at Repeater Builder early in the process.