Polycom Disconnects after 35-40 Seconds

Hello Again Everyone,

Ive been playing with ASL for about a year and a half now but have just recently gotten into playing with some of the telephony options the software makes available. I want to thank those of you that helped me with my last question the other week on connecting two ASL servers and some other dialplan stuff. (IP Phone and Creating Extensions)

I do have another question I’m looking for a bit of help with. One of my Polycom IP 331 phones is doing something a little odd, but only under a very unique set of circumstances. For background, I am operating two ASL servers. One is onsite at my home which serves four radio connections (two repeater up-links, a simplex node, and a VHF remote base). The other is running on a Amazon Web Services EC2 cloud instance and acts as a hub for multiple nodes in Southern California, Nevada, and Utah. Both are setup to accept SIP phone connections and there is an IAX trunk setup between them.

Here is the problem:
When the Polycom IP 331 that is connected to the Amazon AWS server calls and connects to the VHF remote base node on the home server, after 35 to 40 seconds the connection automatically drops and hangs-up. However, it only happens from this phone and on this particular node. I have an identical IP 331 on the internal network at home and it works fine with that node. To make things even more interesting, I cannot replicate the problem from any other SIP device. When I switched the phones out for another IP 331, thinking maybe it was something odd with that phone, I still got the same result.

Ive seen a couple of questions similar to this here and on some other discussion boards, but none with a good explanation of what is occurring or a solution. Anyone have any expierence, thoughts or suggestions; as honestly this one has me a bit stumped.

Thanks in advance and 73s,
Tom, KI6GOA

Just a idea tom…

Can you look for internal setting of registration time and extend it if it appears to short.
One other thing may be a security function issue.
If you are not using voicemail, be sure to blank out settings for it in the phone.
It’s possible if the phone is ‘polling’ for voicemail that is not there fail2ban is kicking you off.
Make sure you ignore your home IP in both iptables and fail2ban.local

That’s the best I got for now.