Node not registered

I have a node 56376 that is not showing up as registered (green) in the ASL node list. I have what appears to be the proper register statement in iax.conf file
register =56376:secretpw@register.allstarlink.org
I have port 4569 forwarded for UDP to my ASL computer (which is a PC). My node computer can reach the internet. What else do I need to do to complete the registration?
Thanks,
Bob (KE0SDV)

As of the time of the post, I did not see you reg’d in the nodelist file.

make sure your registration string is correct in iax.conf. and not commented out.
check it again with setting in allstarlink.org for the node.

If you have manually changed it, make sure it is not to many digits/chars.
I don’t remember the limit but 12 should be enough for a test.
But don’t change it if you did not edit it in the first place.

btw, port forwarding will not effect your outbound connections. Only inbound.

My node still isn’t registered. I don’t quite understand how this works. I have a password in my register statement that matches the password for the node in the Node settings under the Portal on my allstarlink.org account. There is a separate password for the allstarlink account itself. The register statement reads register =56376:nodesecretpw@register.allstarlink.org
It is not commented out. Am I doing this right? Does my ASL system send this register statement as an email periodically to the Allstarlink registration server? If not, how can the registration server find out about my ASL node?

Bob since it has been a while and no one has replied. I’m going to make a suggestion.

From what I am able to observe internet wise your node does act like it is turned on. Have you checked you Internet connection on the node?

Also if you have made changes to the iax.conf or rpt.conf don’t forget to do an Asterisk restart. ----> astres.sh

In fact I’d probably reboot the Node check your router to make certain your network is working properly. During the reboot updates for any changes to Asterisk that may have taken place will be updated.

Larry - N7FM

oops meant not turned on
Larry - N7FM

I rebooted my ASL PC. I can access the internet via ping. On the troubleshooting page it suggests checking to see if asterisk is running with asterisk -r. This gives the message “Unable to connect to remote asterisk (does /var/run/asterisk.ctl exist?)”
It does not exist, at least not in that directory. I do have a /var/lib/asterisk/rpt.extnodes file and it is full of lines with node number=radio@ip address. My node 56376 is not in there.

The registration is instant when asterisk is started. Provided the reg string is correct and it has a path to the server.
So, either there is a type error somewhere in iax.conf or a error in networking or even firewall issues ?

How about copy paste the iax,conf file here (mask your password)

Bob,
From your terminal command line.
Issue the command ----> service asterisk start

Then type asterisk -rvvv
and see if you get the Asterisk command line.

Larry

Here’s what I get with asterisk -rvvv
repeater@estesvalley:~$ sudo asterisk -rvvv
[sudo] password for repeater:

AllStarLink Asterisk Version 1.01 2/13/2018 GIT Version 004b9dd
Copyright (C) 1999 - 2018 Digium, Inc. Jim Dixon, AllStarLink Inc. and others.
Created by Mark Spencer markster@digium.com
Asterisk comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type ‘core show warranty’ for details.
This is free software, with components licensed under the GNU General Public
License version 2 and other licenses; you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain conditions. Type ‘core show license’ for details.

Unable to connect to remote asterisk (does /var/run/asterisk.ctl exist?)
repeater@estesvalley:~$

Note: this is supposed to be a radioless node for now.

Here is my iax.conf file with the node password changed to a non-password

; Inter-Asterisk eXchange driver definition
; AllStarLink Wiki

; ulaw, alaw, GSM and ADPCM should only be used,
; the rest of the standard Asterisk codecs
; This needs to be updated
; (speex, ilbc, lpc10, etc) should be avoided.

; The ulaw and alaw codecs have the best audio quality,
; followed by ADPCM, and lastly GSM,
; Bandwidth used is in the reverse order to audio quality.
; GSM uses the least bandwidth, and alaw/ulaw the most.

; CODEC AUDIO QUALITY BANDWIDTH (including IP and Ethernet headers)
; ULAW best 87 kbps
; ADPCM good 55 kbps
; GSM mediocre 36 kbps

[general]
bindport = 4569 ; bindport and bindaddr may be specified
; NOTE: bindport must be specified BEFORE
; bindaddr or may be specified on a specific
; bindaddr if followed by colon and port
; (e.g. bindaddr=192.168.0.1:4569)

; bindaddr = 192.168.0.1 ; more than once to bind to multiple
; addresses, but the first will be the
; default

disallow = all ; The permitted codecs for outgoing connections
; Audio Quality Bandwidth
;allow = ulaw ; best 87 kbps
;allow = adpcm ; good 55 kbps
;allow = gsm ; medicore 36 kbps

allow = ulaw
allow = adpcm
allow = g722
allow = g726aal2
allow = gsm
allow = ilbc

jitterbuffer = yes
forcejitterbuffer = yes
dropcount = 2
maxjitterbuffer = 4000
maxjitterinterps = 10
resyncthreshold = 1000
maxexcessbuffer = 80
minexcessbuffer = 10
jittershrinkrate = 1
tos = 0x1E
autokill = yes
delayreject = yes
; iaxthreadcount = 30
; iaxmaxthreadcount = 150

register =56376:secretpw@register.allstarlink.org ; This must be changed to your node number, password
; remove the leading “;”

; Incoming radio connections

[radio]
type = user
disallow = all
allow = ulaw
allow = adpcm
allow = g722
allow = g726aal2
allow = gsm
allow = ilbc

codecpriority = host
context = radio-secure
transfer = no

[iaxrpt] ; Connect from iaxrpt Username field (PC AllStar Client)
type = user ; Notice type is user here <---------------
context = iaxrpt ; Context to jump to in extensions.conf
auth = md5
secret = Your_Secret_Pasword_Here
host = dynamic
disallow = all
allow = ulaw
allow = adpcm
allow = gsm
transfer = no

[iaxclient] ; Connect from iax client (Zoiper…)
type = friend ; Notice type here is friend <--------------
context = iax-client ; Context to jump to in extensions.conf
auth = md5
secret = Your_Secret_Password_Here
host = dynamic
disallow = all
allow = ulaw
allow = adpcm
allow = gsm
transfer = no

[allstar-sys]
type = user
context = allstar-sys
auth = rsa
inkeys = allstar
disallow = all
allow = ulaw

[allstar-public]
type = user
context = allstar-public
auth = md5
secret = allstar
disallow = all
allow = ulaw
allow = gsm

; The following should be un-commented to support Allstar Autopatch service
; [allstar-autopatch]
; type = peer
; host = register.allstarlink.org
; username =
; secret =
; auth = md5
; disallow = all
; allow = ulaw
; transfer = no

#includeifexists custom/iax.conf

Okay Bob you have made some progress.

Your node now shows it is now online. Although it is not registering as you indicated, you have changed the password to something other than your Allstarlink account. So lets move forward.

It being radioless node makes no difference in the setup of the node itself. You will need to configure things just as if it had some sort of radio connected to the sound device in order to operate with any Allstar connectivity.

First thing to do … You will need to enable the bindport function in iax.conf. While there …for now turn on the registration with it’s correct password. You can disable it later if you plan to make the node an off Allstar station (private node). Different subject.

So lets start with fixing the bindport and registration issue and get the node functional before modifying your setup.

Larry - N7FM

I would uncomment this and set it to
bindaddr = 0.0.0.0 ;bind all addresses

Give that a shot and let us know

I did change bindaddr to 0.0.0.0 and uncommented it. I also reset the repeater password. I then tried to start Asterisk with service asterisk start. The console doesn’t return anything, so I did a cntl-c to bring back the console prompt.
repeater@estesvalley:~$ sudo service asterisk start
[sudo] password for repeater:
^C
Then I did an asterisk -rvvv and got the following:

repeater@estesvalley:~$ sudo asterisk -rvvv

AllStarLink Asterisk Version 1.01 2/13/2018 GIT Version 004b9dd
Copyright (C) 1999 - 2018 Digium, Inc. Jim Dixon, AllStarLink Inc. and others.
Created by Mark Spencer markster@digium.com
Asterisk comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type ‘core show warranty’ for details.
This is free software, with components licensed under the GNU General Public
License version 2 and other licenses; you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain conditions. Type ‘core show license’ for details.

repeater@estesvalley:/$

The file asterisk.ctl does not exist.

Well, looks like you have typo’d something.
Don’t know where to tell ya where to look, but anyplace you have edited since the last restart/reload.

edit:
you need to try only one thing at a time. You will not know what the issue is or know if you fixed it while breaking something else.

I have not changed anything since the first installation except those things you asked me to change, including the repeater password and the bind statement in iax.conf. Some unknowh dependency is hanging Asterisk up. When I to a service Asterisk status I get the following showing all the times I have tried to start Asterisk.
Feb 05 20:23:01 estesvalley systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Asterisk PBX and t
Feb 05 20:23:01 estesvalley systemd[1]: asterisk.service: Job asterisk.service/s
Feb 06 10:17:58 estesvalley systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Asterisk PBX and t
Feb 06 10:17:58 estesvalley systemd[1]: asterisk.service: Job asterisk.service/s
Feb 06 14:01:22 estesvalley systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Asterisk PBX and t
Feb 06 14:01:22 estesvalley systemd[1]: asterisk.service: Job asterisk.service/s
Feb 06 14:08:04 estesvalley systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Asterisk PBX and t
Feb 06 14:08:04 estesvalley systemd[1]: asterisk.service: Job asterisk.service/s
lines 1-13/13 (END)

The only other changes were the wpa_supplicant commands I entered to establish wifi connectivity. This did not involve changing any files.

Part of the console messages got chopped off. Here are the complete messages
Feb 05 20:23:01 estesvalley systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Asterisk PBX and telephony daemon.
Feb 05 20:23:01 estesvalley systemd[1]: asterisk.service: Job asterisk.service/start failed with result ‘dependency’.
Feb 06 10:17:58 estesvalley systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Asterisk PBX and telephony daemon.
Feb 06 10:17:58 estesvalley systemd[1]: asterisk.service: Job asterisk.service/start failed with result ‘dependency’.
Feb 06 14:01:22 estesvalley systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Asterisk PBX and telephony daemon.
Feb 06 14:01:22 estesvalley systemd[1]: asterisk.service: Job asterisk.service/start failed with result ‘dependency’.
Feb 06 14:08:04 estesvalley systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Asterisk PBX and telephony daemon.
Feb 06 14:08:04 estesvalley systemd[1]: asterisk.service: Job asterisk.service/start failed with result ‘dependency’.
~

What flavor and version are you using?
If you are on a pi, why not try a fresh sd with a new load of your software.

I think your original issue would have been fixed with the bindaddress change

I am on a PC and I have reinstalled twice

I could try rebooting again in case the asterisk start is not working from this point in the session. This means I also have to reenter the wpa_supplicant commands to establish connectivity. I enter the wpa commands after startup so there is no wifi connectivity initially. Maybe that is a problem? In any event, I will try a reboot and enter the wpa commands.

Success! My node is now registered. I rebooted, reestablished wifi connectivity with the ip link, wpa_supplicant, and dhclient commands. Then I started asterisk. When I enter asterisk -r or -rvvv I still get the error message
This time the asterisk.ctl file does exist but it is empty. Now I need to figure out if Asterisk and my ASL system are really fully operational.