Node not registered

Bob
the /var/run/asterisk.ctl file is supposed to be empty and should be owned by user root.

What do you get if you run from your terminal —> asterisk -rvvvc

Larry - N7FM

Bob,

Your error log is telling you why… Asterisk it isn’t starting.

Feb 06 14:01:22 estesvalley systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Asterisk PBX and telephony daemon.
Feb 06 14:01:22 estesvalley systemd[1]: asterisk.service: Job asterisk.service/start failed with result ‘dependency’.

Further web search indicates others have had similar issues.
Perhaps the following will point you in the right direction

=quote=
"---------- Forwarded message ---------

Date: Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 2:58 AM
Subject: Re: [App_rpt-users] NanoPi
To: Users of Asterisk app_rpt <app_rpt-users@lists.allstarlink.org>

Bob,
It looks like DKMS did not rebuild DAHDI properly.

Please do as root:
dpkg-reconfigure asl-dahdi-linux-dkms
reboot

Should now be fixed. Check DAHDI is running by:
lsmod | grep dahdi

73, Steve N4IRS"
=end quote=

Larry - N7FM

Ran the following and then rebooted.

root@estesvalley:/# dpkg-reconfigure asl-dahdi-linux-dkms

Deleting module version: 2.11.1
completely from the DKMS tree.

Done.
Loading new asl-dahdi-linux-2.11.1 DKMS files…
Building for 4.9.0-17-amd64
Building for architecture amd64
Building initial module for 4.9.0-17-amd64

My node shows registered after establishing wifi connectivity

Entered asterisk -rvvvc
Results the same

repeater@estesvalley:~$ sudo asterisk -rvvvc
[sudo] password for repeater:

AllStarLink Asterisk Version 1.01 2/13/2018 GIT Version 004b9dd
Copyright (C) 1999 - 2018 Digium, Inc. Jim Dixon, AllStarLink Inc. and others.
Created by Mark Spencer markster@digium.com
Asterisk comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type ‘core show warranty’ for details.
This is free software, with components licensed under the GNU General Public
License version 2 and other licenses; you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain conditions. Type ‘core show license’ for details.

Unable to connect to remote asterisk (does /var/run/asterisk.ctl exist?)
repeater@estesvalley:~$

Entered sudo start asterisk
sudo asterisk -rvvvc

Got same result.

This also shows the same status for asterisk

repeater@estesvalley:~$ sudo service asterisk status
● asterisk.service - Asterisk PBX and telephony daemon
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/asterisk.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: inactive (dead)
Docs: man:asterisk(8)

Feb 06 18:06:49 estesvalley systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Asterisk PBX and telephony daemon.
Feb 06 18:06:49 estesvalley systemd[1]: asterisk.service: Job asterisk.service/start failed with result ‘dependency’.

I don’t have network connectivity until after I reboot and enter commands to establish wifi connectivity. Could this be the cause of the problem? Maybe network connectivity is required at boot up time?

Bob

The node needs to reboot after that update.
also if you get the same error after that.

Login as user “root” and do

service asterisk stop
service asterisk start
service asterisk status

If the status says it is running the
asterisk -rvvv should get you to the CLI screen

Larry - N7FM

I rebooted and did the following:
su root
service asterisk stop
service asterisk start This did not return the console so I did a ctrl-c
service asterisk status
root@estesvalley:/home/repeater# service asterisk status
● asterisk.service - Asterisk PBX and telephony daemon
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/asterisk.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: inactive (dead)
Docs: man:asterisk(8)

Feb 06 20:24:17 estesvalley systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Asterisk PBX and telephony daemon.
Feb 06 20:24:17 estesvalley systemd[1]: asterisk.service: Job asterisk.service/start failed with result ‘dependency’.
Feb 06 20:29:44 estesvalley systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Asterisk PBX and telephony daemon.
Feb 06 20:29:44 estesvalley systemd[1]: asterisk.service: Job asterisk.service/start failed with result ‘dependency’.
root@estesvalley:/home/repeater#

root@estesvalley:/home/repeater# asterisk -rvvv

AllStarLink Asterisk Version 1.01 2/13/2018 GIT Version 004b9dd
Copyright (C) 1999 - 2018 Digium, Inc. Jim Dixon, AllStarLink Inc. and others.
Created by Mark Spencer markster@digium.com
Asterisk comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type ‘core show warranty’ for details.
This is free software, with components licensed under the GNU General Public
License version 2 and other licenses; you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain conditions. Type ‘core show license’ for details.

Unable to connect to remote asterisk (does /var/run/asterisk.ctl exist?)
root@estesvalley:/home/repeater#

So I’m still stuck with an asterisk that won’t start.

Also my node 56376 is no longer registered.

My node showed registered for a while but is now showing not registered. Not sure what is doing this. This time I waited for the service asterisk start to come back. It returned the same asterisk.service: Job asterisk.service/start failed with result ‘dependency’ and the following message See journalctl -xe for details. I’m reviewing that journal file now. It’s a huge log of every message since boot up. Some are related to asterisk. I will try to decipher.
Also at boot up the message “Failed to start Load Kernel Modules” appeared during boot up.

Well you have got me Bob.

I guess the only other thing I’d try is download load the latest Beta and give that a try. I have a version running here and so far not a hiccup.

Either that or PM Steve N4IRS who I believe was involve it the creation of that version. Perhaps he knows a secret. Much knowledge packed in his mind.

Larry - N7FM

Here are the messages from the journalctl.

sterisk.service/start failed with result ‘dependency’.
: Job dev-dahdi-pseudo.device/start failed with result ‘timeout’.
session closed for user root
PWD=/home/repeater ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/journalctl -xe
session opened for user root by repeater(uid=0)
ESCOD
Feb 07 15:55:23 estesvalley sudo[4628]: repeater : TTY=tty1 ; PWD=/home/repeater ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/sbin/service asterisk
Feb 07 15:55:23 estesvalley sudo[4628]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by repeater(uid=0)
Feb 07 15:55:23 estesvalley sudo[4628]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Feb 07 15:55:58 estesvalley sudo[4653]: repeater : TTY=tty1 ; PWD=/home/repeater ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/sbin/service asterisk
Feb 07 15:55:58 estesvalley sudo[4653]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by repeater(uid=0)
Feb 07 15:57:28 estesvalley systemd[1]: dev-dahdi-pseudo.device: Job dev-dahdi-pseudo.device/start timed out.
Feb 07 15:57:28 estesvalley systemd[1]: Timed out waiting for device dev-dahdi-pseudo.device.
– Subject: Unit dev-dahdi-pseudo.device has failed
– Defined-By: systemd
– Support: Debian -- Support

– Unit dev-dahdi-pseudo.device has failed.

– The result is timeout.
Feb 07 15:57:28 estesvalley systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Asterisk PBX and telephony daemon.
– Subject: Unit asterisk.service has failed

– Unit asterisk.service has failed.

– The result is dependency.
Feb 07 15:57:28 estesvalley systemd[1]: asterisk.service: Job asterisk.service/start failed with result ‘dependency’.
Feb 07 15:57:28 estesvalley systemd[1]: dev-dahdi-pseudo.device: Job dev-dahdi-pseudo.device/start failed with result ‘timeout’.
Feb 07 15:57:28 estesvalley sudo[4653]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Feb 07 16:00:00 estesvalley sudo[4686]: repeater : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/repeater ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/journalctl -xe
Feb 07 16:00:00 estesvalley sudo[4686]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by repeater(uid=0)
lines 2443-2469/2469 (END)
Feb 07 15:55:23 estesvalley sudo[4628]: repeater : TTY=tty1 ; PWD=/home/repeater ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/sbin/service asterisk st
Feb 07 15:55:23 estesvalley sudo[4628]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by repeater(uid=0)
Feb 07 15:55:23 estesvalley sudo[4628]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Feb 07 15:55:58 estesvalley sudo[4653]: repeater : TTY=tty1 ; PWD=/home/repeater ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/sbin/service asterisk st
Feb 07 15:55:58 estesvalley sudo[4653]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by repeater(uid=0)
Feb 07 15:57:28 estesvalley systemd[1]: dev-dahdi-pseudo.device: Job dev-dahdi-pseudo.device/start timed out.
Feb 07 15:57:28 estesvalley systemd[1]: Timed out waiting for device dev-dahdi-pseudo.device.
– Subject: Unit dev-dahdi-pseudo.device has failed

– Unit dev-dahdi-pseudo.device has failed.

– The result is timeout.
Feb 07 15:57:28 estesvalley systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Asterisk PBX and telephony daemon.
– Subject: Unit asterisk.service has failed

– Unit asterisk.service has failed.

– The result is dependency.
Feb 07 15:57:28 estesvalley systemd[1]: asterisk.service: Job asterisk.service/start failed with result ‘dependency’.
Feb 07 15:57:28 estesvalley systemd[1]: dev-dahdi-pseudo.device: Job dev-dahdi-pseudo.device/start failed with result ‘timeout’.
Feb 07 15:57:28 estesvalley sudo[4653]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Feb 07 16:00:00 estesvalley sudo[4686]: repeater : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/repeater ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/journalctl -xe
Feb 07 16:00:00 estesvalley sudo[4686]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by repeater(uid=0)
lines 2443-2469/2469 (END)

This appears to be the key message:
estesvalley systemd[1]: dev-dahdi-pseudo.device: Job dev-dahdi-pseudo.device/start failed with result ‘timeout’.

Does this offer a clue as to the problem? There is something about dahdi in the wiki.

Also recall that at boot up the message “Failed to start Load Kernel Modules” appeared during boot up. Maybe some key modules are missing?

It appears that dahdi module(s) are not in the kernel. Nothing returned from grep.
repeater@estesvalley:~$ sudo lsmod | grep dahdi
[sudo] password for repeater:

I verified that dahdi is not in the kernel
estesvalley systemd-modules-load[244]: Failed to find module ‘dahdi’
estesvalley systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
So now looks like I either need to rebuild the dahdi module and load it into the kernel or just load it into the kernel if it has been built.

It appears I was able to rebuild the dahdi module and get it loaded. Service asterisk status shows that it is running. My node is registered. So, I think this problem is solved! I used the Dahdi Make wiki page, second section regarding recompiling Dahi. Yea!

Glad to hear that Bob…
See it’s been registered for the last 12 + hrs.
Keep us posted as to how things work out now that it is up and running.
Larry - N7FM