No PL on repeater TX

Hi all, I have a UHF repeater with two Motorola CDM750’s connected to a URIxB and a Raspberry Pi 3b. The radio’s we’re programmed with RSS R06.12.05 and I have set PL to 67.0 on both radio’s. Repeater functions correctly except that the TX radio will NOT transmit PL. When I connected the radio’s to my old controller (ICS Basic), the radio’s worked correctly and the TX radio sent PL. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? Thank you. Lou W2LPC, node 51284.

I’m thinking the old controller either keyed the CDM with a different PTT pin or it generated the tone.

• Check which pin is PTT from both the old controller and the URI and see if there is a difference.
  • Does the CDM transmit P/L with the local Mic?
  • If you have the CPS, which pin or pins are set for PTT and what type PTT are they?

Are you trying to generate the PL at the radio TX’r or with app_rpt/asl ?
Make sure you are not setting both on.
Likely, it will cancel out just like a fm multipath. But I have never tested that theory.

I do recall CDMs having some sort of “data PTT” that may by design not send PL. There is a menu in the RSS that changes the function of the accy pins.

···

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 2:41 PM Mike via AllStarLink Discussion Groups <noreply@community.allstarlink.org> wrote:

| Mike
January 22 |

• | - |

Are you trying to generate the PL at the radio TX’r or with app_rpt/asl ?
Make sure you are not setting both on.
Likely, it will cancel out just like a fm multipath. But I have never tested that theory.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Tim Sawyer has a good idea, to test the radio with a much and see if it sends PL. I’ll try this weekend and ill post results. BTW, these CDM750’s are NEW old stock, right out of the box so, they are essentially brand new.

···

From: Tim Sawyer via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2021 2:14:27 PM
To: w2lpc@outlook.com w2lpc@outlook.com
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] No PL on repeater TX

wd6awp ASL Admin
January 22

I’m thinking the old controller either keyed the CDM with a different PTT pin or it generated the tone.

• Check which pin is PTT from both the old controller and the URI and see if there is a difference.
  • Does the CDM transmit P/L with the local Mic?
  • If you have the CPS, which pin or pins are set for PTT and what type PTT are they?

Cool, I love new old stock! CDM’s make a great repeater or hot spot.

I also plan on installing a circulator and notch filter on the TX radio, I hope that doesn’t cause any issues.

···

From: Tim Sawyer via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2021 4:29:01 PM

wd6awp ASL Admin
January 22

Cool, I love new old stock! CDM’s make a great repeater or hot spot.

In Reply To

Lou
January 22

Tim Sawyer has a good idea, to test the radio with a much and see if it sends PL. I’ll try this weekend and ill post results. BTW, these CDM750’s are NEW old stock, right out of the box so, they are essentially brand new. ··· (click for more details)

Oh that will cost you a few db, but that’s the price of a responsible repeater installation.

That’s what I figured too but, I just want a machine that is clean and behaves itself. There’s always a trade off.

···

Sent: Friday, January 22, 2021 9:56:14 PM

wd6awp ASL Admin
January 23

Oh that will cost you a few db, but that’s the price of a responsible repeater installation.

In Reply To

Lou
January 22

I also plan on installing a circulator and notch filter on the TX radio, I hope that doesn’t cause any issues. ··· (click for more details)

Found the problem with no TX PL. The TX radio is defective. It will NOT send PL with a microphone or even disconnected from the repeater controller.

···

Sent: Friday, January 22, 2021 9:58:11 PM
To: AllStarLink Discussion Groups replies+7024babf3a25af178b208d8b7e9c4315@community.allstarlink.org
Subject: Re: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] No PL on repeater TX

That’s what I figured too but, I just want a machine that is clean and behaves itself. There’s always a trade off.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and attached files (if applicable) is a privileged and confidential work product and subject to legal restrictions and penalties regarding its unauthorized disclosure or other use. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may contain information that is confidential, privileged, protected by law or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the named addressee or intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of any part of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email in error and delete all copies of this email from your systems message server.

Sent: Friday, January 22, 2021 9:56:14 PM

wd6awp ASL Admin
January 23

In Reply To

Lou
January 22

I also plan on installing a circulator and notch filter on the TX radio, I hope that doesn’t cause any issues. ··· (click for more details)

Sounds like the controller generated the tones. Not the radio.
You can generate one with app_rpt in your usb conf.

Could you be more specific about that please.

···

From: Mike via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org
Sent: Saturday, January 23, 2021 7:28:26 PM
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] No PL on repeater TX

Mike
January 24

Sounds like the controller generated the tones. Not the radio.
You can generate one with app_rpt in your usb conf.

In Reply To

Lou
January 23

Found the problem with no TX PL. The TX radio is defective. It will NOT send PL with a microphone or even disconnected from the repeater controller. ··· (click for more details)

What part is confusing ? Not sure I can say it differently.

If you are using app_rpt/asl, then in your usb radio/simpleusb configuration, you can define a tx PL tone.

I’m running hamvoip.

···

From: Mike via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org
Sent: Saturday, January 23, 2021 8:14:20 PM
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] No PL on repeater TX

Mike
January 24

What part is confusing ? Not sure I can say it differently.

If you are using app_rpt/asl, then in your usb radio/simpleusb configuration, you can define a tx PL tone.

It should be the same or similar.
See their support pages to get the scoop on tx pl in usb config

The software that operates ALLSTAR does not provide nor have ability to control the PL tones. I suggest you take this matter to RepeaterBuilders@group.io as it is more relevant there.

‘CONTROL’ in what way ?

I have been using app_rpt/asl for my pl for over 10 years on one system. Changed it twice with the changing of less than 10 characters in less than 1 minute.
It certainly is there. I know it does not appear in the help pages or wiki anymore, but it is there.
I can’t speak directly to hamvoip, but I doubt there is much difference outside of possible syntax since it is built from/forked from the original app_rpt.