First log in to Pi

Hello Group;

New user here.

I have just burnt the ASL image onto the SD card, loaded it into the Pi, and booted up - all as per instructions.

I try to log in to the Pi as “repeater” using the initial login password of “allstarlink” as found in the first time set-up instructions.

I then get “access denied”. I have tried multiple times, and done multiple image burns, to no avail.

Can anyone assist me to get past this stumbling block so I can get to the set up menu?

Many thanks - Tim.
VK3MIT

Tim,

What location are you downloading your image from?

Marshall

···

From: Timothy Mc Bain via AllStarLink Discussion Groups [mailto:noreply@community.allstarlink.org]
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 4:56 AM
To: ke6pcv@cal-net.org
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] First log in to Pi

VK3MIT-Tim
May 20

Hello Group;

New user here.

I have just burnt the ASL image onto the SD card, loaded it into the Pi, and booted up - all as per instructions.

I try to log in to the Pi as “repeater” using the initial login password of “allstarlink” as found in the first time set-up instructions.

I then get “access denied”. I have tried multiple times, and done multiple image burns, to no avail.

Can anyone assist me to get past this stumbling block so I can get to the set up menu?

Many thanks - Tim.
VK3MIT

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Hi Marshall; sorry to be a pain…

The image is from the ASL web site - downloads fine, unzips fine, burns onto the SD fine, appears to run fine in the Pi, just won’t progress beyond login as repeater/access denied.

I can log in as root, and I get the auto update process happening, and end up at a root login prompt, but I can’t get to the ASL setup cli from root as it wants to be user repeater. It’ll try to switch user to repeater, but fails on the repeater default password.

Tim.

···

On 21 May 2020, at 04:03, Marshall Oldham via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

KE6PCV
ASL Admin

May 20

Tim,

Marshall

··· (click for more details)

In Reply To

VK3MIT-Tim

May 20

Hello Group; New user here. I have just burnt the ASL image onto the SD card, loaded it into the Pi, and booted up - all as per instructions. I try to log in to the Pi as “repeater” using the initial login password of “allstarlink” as found in the first time set-up instructions. I then get “acce…

Tim,

Start over and try the following burning the image onto your mirco sd card again.

Then install the micro sd into the Pi and boot.

Do the following.

Login: repeater

Passsword: allstarlink

User repeater has sudo privileges (sudo -s)

Note: You really do not need to login at user ROOT or even setup with user ROOT.

There have been updates to the operating system since this image was built.

Run the following commands after the first time you boot.

sudo apt-mark hold raspberrypi-kernel-headers raspberrypi-kernel

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade -y

sudo reboot

at the # prompt run “asl-menu” to setup your node.

Read this on the wiki all the way to the end it has directions to walk you through setting up your node with screen shots.

https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Beginners_Guide

Marshall - ke6pcv

···

From: Timothy Mc Bain via AllStarLink Discussion Groups [mailto:noreply@community.allstarlink.org]
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 1:19 PM

VK3MIT-Tim
May 20

The image is from the ASL web site - downloads fine, unzips fine, burns onto the SD fine, appears to run fine in the Pi, just won’t progress beyond login as repeater/access denied.

I can log in as root, and I get the auto update process happening, and end up at a root login prompt, but I can’t get to the ASL setup cli from root as it wants to be user repeater. It’ll try to switch user to repeater, but fails on the repeater default password.

Tim.

In Reply To

KE6PCV ASL Admin
May 20

Tim, What location are you downloading your image from? Marshall ··· (click for more details)

Previous Replies

KE6PCV ASL Admin
May 20

Tim,

Marshall

VK3MIT-Tim
May 20

Hello Group;

New user here.

Many thanks - Tim.
VK3MIT

I downloaded Raslink-20.04

Win 10 machine, used “Etcher” to put the unzipped ISO onto the SD card.

T.

···

On 21 May 2020, at 06:09, Timothy Mc Bain VK3MIT vk3mit@gmail.com wrote:

Tim.

On 21 May 2020, at 04:03, Marshall Oldham via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

KE6PCV
ASL Admin

May 20

Tim,

Marshall

In Reply To

VK3MIT-Tim

May 20

Hello Group; New user here. I have just burnt the ASL image onto the SD card, loaded it into the Pi, and booted up - all as per instructions. I try to log in to the Pi as “repeater” using the initial login password of “allstarlink” as found in the first time set-up instructions. I then get “acce…

Tim,

I am not familiar with what Raslink is, it’s not an ASL image.

Go here to download the lastest ASL image for the Raspberry Pi.

http://dvswitch.org/files/ASL_Images/Raspberry_Pi/Stretch/

Use this image and you should be good to go if you follow the directions.

Marshall

···

Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 3:00 PM

VK3MIT-Tim
May 20

I downloaded Raslink-20.04

Win 10 machine, used “Etcher” to put the unzipped ISO onto the SD card.

T.

In Reply To

KE6PCV ASL Admin
May 20

Tim, What location are you downloading your image from? Marshall ··· (click for more details)

Previous Replies

KE6PCV ASL Admin
May 20

Tim,

Start over and try the following burning the image onto your mirco sd card again.

Then install the micro sd into the Pi and boot.

Do the following.

Login: repeater

Passsword: allstarlink

User repeater has sudo privileges (sudo -s)

Note: You really do not need to login at user ROOT or even setup with user ROOT.

There have been updates to the operating system since this image was built.

Run the following commands after the first time you boot.

sudo apt-mark hold raspberrypi-kernel-headers raspberrypi-kernel

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade -y

sudo reboot

at the # prompt run “asl-menu” to setup your node.

Read this on the wiki all the way to the end it has directions to walk you through setting up your node with screen shots.

https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Beginners_Guide

Marshall - ke6pcv

VK3MIT-Tim
May 20

Tim.

KE6PCV ASL Admin
May 20

Tim,

Marshall

VK3MIT-Tim
May 20

Hello Group;

New user here.

Many thanks - Tim.
VK3MIT