Console Operation

Hello all!!

How many of you are familiar with the M Centracom Gold Elite dispatch console? or the MCC-7500 Series Digital Console ?

Basically the “Gold Elite” system is a big switch with some rather unique features when employed in a Trunking System… However Ham Radio is obviously conventional radio and I believe that the stuff we are playing with can be adapted to serve as a Dispatch Console talking to, cross patching with many or few Nodes (Conventional Resources). I am looking at creating a GUI that is operationally setup with config files similar to a DialPlan script. The new thin client looks very promising for this! Plus they are cheap! I talked with Micro Node today and got good vibes from Mark.

At any rate, a thin client card can be tied to a mic, speaker and a footswitch. My concept calls for clicking an ICON on a screen, this action will automatically connect to the Node represented by by that ICON, when the footswitch is pressed, it initiates a transmission to that Node.

This is all rudimentry thinking at this point… but the flexiblitly of Asterisk and Allstar Link could make this a very doable thing!

I have been playing with this for only a few days, and I am impressed, pumped up and cant believe how this is such a powerfull system!

If anyone has thoughts, ideas or has already done it, feel free to give me a jingle!

I deal alot with 911 Dispatch Centers on a daily basis…

Those systems are very expensive when purchased new, overly expensive used and complicated, very hardware intensive and run on MS Operating Systems… total turn off!!

This is a home grown solution that will cost a fraction at the most of a full commerical system from the M company.

Anyone interested?

Ron Simpson, 209 642-6559
N6GKJ Amateur Radio

Have you ever noticed that when you are looking for something,
it is always found in the last place you look?

Ron,

I am not familiar with Dispatch software. In fact, I have yet to get my feet wet with Asterisk. However, after doing a quick search upon considering your email, I think I now know which OS / Version / GUI I am going to start with.

Xelatec has an open-source product, with a windows client:

Client

Server

From the web site:

About Xelatec LLC

Xelatec (pronounced zell-ah-tek) was founded in 1999 with the mission of using its founder’s experience in wireless telecommunications to meet the needs of a wide variety of customers. It has been involved in research and development of new wireless products and markets, mergers and acquisitions, corporate management and productizing Open Source Software projects.

The Xelatec IP Private Radio (XIPPR) line of products and services are the result of Xelatec’s unique, innovative combination of legacy private land mobile PTT radio systems and 21st century wireless technologies with Internet Protocol networks.

Contact us at:

Xelatec LLC
5805 State Bridge Road, Suite G-420
Johns Creek, Georgia 30097
Tel: +1-678-248-2979

Am I on the right track here? comments anyone?

Jim A. KB3TBX

···

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 8:52 PM, Ron Simpson n6gkj.cm98@yahoo.com wrote:

Hello all!!

How many of you are familiar with the M Centracom Gold Elite dispatch console? or the MCC-7500 Series Digital Console ?

Basically the “Gold Elite” system is a big switch with some rather unique features when employed in a Trunking System… However Ham Radio is obviously conventional radio and I believe that the stuff we are playing with can be adapted to serve as a Dispatch Console talking to, cross patching with many or few Nodes (Conventional Resources). I am looking at creating a GUI that is operationally setup with config files similar to a DialPlan script. The new thin client looks very promising for this! Plus they are cheap! I talked with Micro Node today and got good vibes from Mark.

At any rate, a thin client card can be tied to a mic, speaker and a footswitch. My concept calls for clicking an ICON on a screen, this action will automatically connect to the Node represented by by that ICON, when the footswitch is pressed, it initiates a transmission to that Node.

This is all rudimentry thinking at this point… but the flexiblitly of Asterisk and Allstar Link could make this a very doable thing!

I have been playing with this for only a few days, and I am impressed, pumped up and cant believe how this is such a powerfull system!

If anyone has thoughts, ideas or has already done it, feel free to give me a jingle!

Those systems are very expensive when purchased new, overly expensive used and complicated, very hardware intensive and run on MS Operating Systems… total turn off!!

This is a home grown solution that will cost a fraction at the most of a full commerical system from the M company.

Anyone interested?

N6GKJ Amateur Radio

App_rpt-users mailing list
App_rpt-users@ohnosec.org

http://ohnosec.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users

depends on what y’all are trying to do.

i get along just fine running an acid load with the iaxrpt client for the occasional connection from my office desktop. but, then, not doing life safety where access, control, and capabilities are critical; if my system goes down it’s a matter of pride rather than necessity.

my own opinion? KISS principal. if you want to run a full bore pbx voip system and radio control package…then you will probably need more than the acid package will provide, and probably more than XIPPR can provide.

to me, fancy interfaces and complex scripts supporting arcane config files are an unneeded level of complexity. but, the great thing about open source is that we can both take divergent paths to get to the same destination.

KISS, though, reigns supreme.

···

Bryan

Sent from my iPhone

please forgive misspellings…

On Aug 25, 2011, at 9:51 AM, Jim Alles kb3tbx@gmail.com wrote:

Ron,

I am not familiar with Dispatch software. In fact, I have yet to get my feet wet with Asterisk. However, after doing a quick search upon considering your email, I think I now know which OS / Version / GUI I am going to start with.

Client

Server

From the web site:

About Xelatec LLC

Xelatec (pronounced zell-ah-tek) was founded in 1999 with the mission of using its founder’s experience in wireless telecommunications to meet the needs of a wide variety of customers. It has been involved in research and development of new wireless products and markets, mergers and acquisitions, corporate management and productizing Open Source Software projects.

The Xelatec IP Private Radio (XIPPR) line of products and services are the result of Xelatec’s unique, innovative combination of legacy private land mobile PTT radio systems and 21st century wireless technologies with Internet Protocol networks.

Contact us at:

Xelatec LLC

Jim A. KB3TBX

Hello all!!

Anyone interested?

N6GKJ Amateur Radio

"KISS, though, reigns supreme. "

Yeah!!! – Gene Simmons forever!!! :slight_smile:

JIM

···

Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:26:53 -0500
To: kb3tbx@gmail.com
CC: App_rpt-users@ohnosec.org
Subject: Re: [App_rpt-users] Console Operation

i get along just fine running an acid load with the iaxrpt client for the occasional connection from my office desktop. but, then, not doing life safety where access, control, and capabilities are critical; if my system goes down it’s a matter of pride rather than necessity.

my own opinion? KISS principal. if you want to run a full bore pbx voip system and radio control package…then you will probably need more than the acid package will provide, and probably more than XIPPR can provide.

to me, fancy interfaces and complex scripts supporting arcane config files are an unneeded level of complexity. but, the great thing about open source is that we can both take divergent paths to get to the same destination.

Bryan

Sent from my iPhone

Ron,

Client

Server

From the web site:

About Xelatec LLC

Contact us at:

Xelatec LLC

Jim A. KB3TBX

Hello all!!

Anyone interested?

N6GKJ Amateur Radio

and, i was going to add, if you can’t do it with vi, awk, and sed scripts…it’s probably not worth doing…

···

Bryan

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 25, 2011, at 10:29 AM, Jim Duuuude telesistant@hotmail.com wrote:

JIM

Bryan

Sent from my iPhone

Ron,

Client

Server

From the web site:

About Xelatec LLC

Contact us at:

Xelatec LLC

Jim A. KB3TBX

Hello all!!

Anyone interested?

N6GKJ Amateur Radio

Ron,

I have been having the very same thoughts for quite a while. I am an old dispatcher from way back and tend to still think this way. There are a number of IP Dispatch Consoles on the commercial market today. This enables 1-n people to access a 1-n radio channels across an IP bearer. There are many added functions that would enable cross patching of channels and other neat features. Having this functionality as part of our solution would enable many very interesting use cases. Here is what I would do in my community with this functionality:

1. I have an Emergency Operations Center (EOC) in a valley with several multi-channel Remote Bases 2500 feet above on a tall mountain. They are currently controlled via link radios and DTMF. If I add these to Asterisk then I can have full control via IP from the EOC or the mobile EOC. I need simultaneous access to these channels.

2. in the same area we have a very large Search and Rescue Community that has in-town resources that coordinate resourcing for the field across several different radio channels. If i add these to Asterisk then those in-town resources can monitor the field operations and communicate across several different radio channels.

3. I would like to take the new developments for voting receivers and place these through out the area to listen for 121.5 ELT, EPIRB and PLB signals in areas that we have routine turnoffs like small airports and fishing boat terminals. A dispatch console application gives me immediate access to many receivers so that I can instantly know which channel. I would also use this to monitor the various channels in a voting system to determine location…

4. An EOC is typically in the basement with the radios on the roof. A cheap dispatch console cleans ups the EOC from an appearance and operational perspective and allows the radios to be in another room, on the roof or on a mountain top.

5. We create a mutli-channel network that runs all the way around Mount Rainer each July for a ugly bike event (10,000 of elevation gain). This is on a 4 channel network with two net control operators. This means I need 8 radios in base camp to support the event. I can reduce this to 4 with a proper dispatch application and app-rpt.

The current application handles 1 channel. In my use cases I typically need 2-5 channels. You can buy this type of solution all day long for tens of thousands of dollars from commercial vendors. These are all low budget volunteer run operations so funding is paramount. Most of this is Commercial so All-Star is not an option for linking.

Best Regards,

Brian
KD4WAV
Snoqualmie EOC Support Team
King County Search and Rescue

···

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Ron Simpson n6gkj.cm98@yahoo.com wrote:

Hello all!!

Anyone interested?

N6GKJ Amateur Radio

I get the command line thing, but dude, you’ve been doing unix too long! :wink:

Rock On!

For me, I just want something real to do with Asterisk as a hobby - taking apart someone elses stuff is as good a place as any to jump in!

.ja.

···

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Bryan Boyle bdboyle@bdboyle.com wrote:

and, i was going to add, if you can’t do it with vi, awk, and sed scripts…it’s probably not worth doing…

Bryan

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 25, 2011, at 10:29 AM, Jim Duuuude telesistant@hotmail.com wrote:

JIM

Hello All, I think Ron wanted something to control the radio and have a separate node (hub) with a microphone and speaker. There are so many ideas that are great out there.

You can use the built in asterisk manager API.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+manager+API

You can use C++, Perl, PHP, Java or just about anything to write it in.

A web page:

I would like to see a web page with a local web-transceiver so you can use the built in Mic and Speakers on your computer. Maybe a drag and drop icons to connect nodes. Look at the panel page of FreePBX. The client could be anything that can run Java. (WOW We have the web-transceiver already.)

USB PicoDisplay: Simple
I was thinking of using a USB Pico display with buttons to send commands to asterisk. (asterisk -rx “rpt fun XXXX *3XXXX”)

http://www.mini-box.com/picoLCD-256x64-Sideshow-CDROM-Bay

Like I said there are so many great ideas for so many possibilities.

I would like to say, let race begin. But lets get some ideas first. I’m not a programmer but I think I can work with php and bash.

David

···

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Ron Simpson n6gkj.cm98@yahoo.com wrote:

Hello all!!

Anyone interested?

N6GKJ Amateur Radio

I’ve dealt with the Dispatch Gold Elite…everything is there you are wanting. It works with both conventional and trunked systems, does patching between sites, etc. I don’t understand why you want to reinvent the wheel when the Console does it already.

Chris WB5ITT