Concern about GMRS

if someone is saying they don’t want to put that much money into aradio, then it’s probably a good thing. The very low cost of entry has resulted in some operators being on the air that should not be. (think before judging that statment.)
The DMR networks are filled with mindless chatter from those whom have a MD-380 and a whatever-spot. No effort gets put into their radio systems, so there is nothing be learned about what they are doing. These are also the same people that get pissed and think the RoIP networks are failing to operate when they are in poor cell coverage areas. -> because they do not want to put the effort into what they are doing.

Poor quality never equates to anything greater. I look forward to the day when Chinese radios are banned from being sold or operated in the US.
Funny thing is, most people who proudly exclaim they have a cheap radio have a $500 to $1000 iphone in their pocket they are making payments for.

Encourage your people to strive for better options. There are much better used radios out there for the same price.

Find some options, present them and you’ll get your answers.

1 Like

Thanks he truly had a very big vision for all the utility that ASL could provide.

Selfishly, I would like Allstar to set up a server to support GMRS. It would be nice to allow my son to be able to use the great features of Allstar. He is a little young to be a HAM. I am just starting to work on the backend of Allstar. When I become more familiar with it, I will set one up.

2 Likes

Wow it’s not hard to connect to nodes together with out being apart of the Allstar link network. Yes ASL has a few cool things to look at online like the status map. That’s about the only thing I haven’t figured out how to set up but it’s not that big of a deal everyone is connected to the main hub anyways

I looked at your web page. It is pretty cool. I have to set up a simplex node so I can play with it.

We are growing all the time. I believe people are figuring out how to do it after they join us and they leave to do there own thing. We are up to 40 nodes but only half stay connected to our hub.

Jason,

There are a few ways to make out of local system calls. The way ASL does it, each new node number is put into a directory where it is authorized for login with a username:password.

When that node number successfully connects to the network, a ‘directory’ file is appended, and every ten minutes or so, every node on the network download this directory-of-node file.

Another method is similar to DNS. In a small nutshell; Instead of alphanumeric domains such as allstarlink.org, the DNS type system looks up node numbers, and then sends the requesting allstarlink node the IP address to connect to.

Perhaps folks working to build that kind of call routing system wish to elaborate on the subject.

Unless I’m missing something, our versions of Asterisk does not have a gateway-route module/feature. Cisco Callmanager had a system similar to aforementioned.

wiki.asterisk.org and voip-info.org are great for learning how asterisk works, and then build from there. Asterisk is no easy beast to tame, you will have to study it - A LOT.

BTW - the late Jim Dixon and Mark Spence (creator of Asterisk) worked together to create the feature the makes this all possible: app_rpt.so

As the owner and founder of the USA GMRS Association (www.usagmrs.com), I myself, would be totally against any GMRS repeater(s) becoming part of or having access to any part of the ASL network(s). Opening that can of worms would unleash a rabbit of terror that neither the Amateur world or the GMRS world would want or care to deal with. I say that with all due respect to both bands of radio operators.

As a person who has over many years experience within the RF industry (30+) as RF Engineer, over 26 years as a Software Engineer, along with being the owner of many two-way radio sales & service centers, answering services, call centers, ISPs, Data warehouse(s), etc… putting together a GMRS linked system for me would be like riding a bicycle, easy peasy. So I think I can say with certainty, based on my years of experience and my education, that allowing a portal that would give radio operators of both GMRS and Amateur to sign up and apply for a “number” to be issued for their repeater/base/nodes (or any other name you want to call a linked set of Rf equipment) on the same network system or even a website shared for such would be one of the biggest mistakes ASL would or could make.

I have said from the beginning in many of my circles, both privately and within the social media world, that there would be no way I would allow for or provide for the ability to use any software on the USA GMRS linked system that could/would allow for interconnection or connection to the EchoLink or AllstarLink networks. Maybe ten years down the road it might happen — but not today.

Lets face it, Amateur radio operators of today are not anything like the Amateur radio operators of 60 years ago. Educated and responsible individuals. Back then it required individuals with a little more smarts and abilities to build their own radios (and yes I mean build their own radios), repair their own radios, and know more about the FCC rules than the Amateur operators of today. Most of the Amateur radio operators of today are for the most part ex-CBers that managed to memorize about 180 questions to a 35 question exam and received their tech license. I would estimate that about 60% or better couldn’t fix their own radio (let alone repeaters) today if they had to. And, for the most part, a lot of Amateur radio operators look down on any other radio operators (can we say GMRS) that don’t have a Amateur radio license. I see and hear it daily, especially when I mention the letters GMRS. Just look at the responses here at the beginning of this post when some heard that a GMRS repeater or link radio might be on a Amateur channel. No offense intended to Amateur radio operators but is just true facts. The same could be said for the GMRS radio operator. GMRS operators of today are also, for the most part, ex-Cbers that didn’t feel they should have to take a test and don’t care about talking on 200 or more frequencies around the globe and only wish to be able to communicate with family and friends locally and/or around this country. So they pay a $70.00 license fee and (unlike Amateurs) they can talk to ALL their family members without having to require each member to have a license of their own. Again, no offense to the GMRS operator but the facts are the facts. I was at a ham club a few months back to give a talk (I’m invited to many each year to give talks on many different subjects) about bonding and grounding. When I was asked if I was a ham operator by several members there and I said I’m a GMRS operator three of those members made the statement “who the hell wants to mess with that crap?”. I’ve also received the same responses toward hams when talking to a group of GMRS operators. Both worlds, just like any group of people, have their share of squirrels. I must say though, at least I haven’t seen any of the Amateur operators putting “talk back” and reverb units on their radios like I’ve seen with some GMRS operators of late…not yet that is.

Look, I have many a Amateur radio operator asking me how to install and use ASL. Some of them that ask (about maybe 60%) know something about software and coding so working with them to get ASL up and running is not that big of a deal. I also have many, many GMRS operators that ask me to setup their link network and about 98% of them have no software coding abilities what so ever. Many don’t even know what linking means except that they heard something about it on a social media site and want it on their radios. Just stop and look at how many are putting up simplex repeaters and that should tell you something. I don’t care what you say or think, buying/building a “simplex repeater” setup and attaching it to a network of associated real repeaters is about as stupid and idiotic as the day is long (my opinion of course) — and that my friends is happening more and more on “networks” within the GMRS world daily. Even one individual on here has bragged about how they offer “simplex nodes” (which are really simplex repeaters). Is that something you want to have to deal with on a ASL network… I don’t think so. And do you really want to deal with providing tech support to a bunch of radio operators that don’t even know what kind of radio they can use or even know how a repeater works? Again, I don’t think so. I wouldn’t… I’ve done that type of tech support before, back in the day (starting in 1997) when the dial up Internet first came about. You haven’t had any real fun till you gotten hold of a few 60 year old people that couldn’t understand why you needed a computer to get on the internet. Now try explaining to them why they need a repeater.

In ending let me say this, when I turn up the state/nation wide USA GMRS network of linked repeaters (as seen at http://www.usagmrs.com/repeaterlistings.html) it will be because I own those repeaters and the master servers. I will only allow other privately owned repeaters to join the network if and only if I install the software and am the only one who has access to service or make modifications to said repeater controllers. That way the network will be maintained in a proper manner, I can control the type of ROIP equipment on it, and insure it never ever has the ability to interfere or cause interference on any Amateur RF network. Now even I know I can’t control what a squirrel does in their own home by installing a node that can do both, but at least I can prevent it from occurring thru our servers. There are now many privately own networks of GMRS repeaters, many of which the owners/operators know nothing to speak of about Asterisk software and which will probably be the leading cause of why FCC might be changing it’s mind on GMRS linking because of the interference caused by a few idiots that know not what they are doing.

I hope that the powers to be at ASL will give it some serious consideration before moving forward with allowing GMRS to coexist on the same webpage or portal as that of the ASL network. I think there are areas that GMRS and Amateur can coexist but not on this play ground. We must all remember that Amateur radio is a hobby by design, and no matter what you say or think — GMRS is not — and that must be considered every time one thinks of doing something “different” within the GMRS world.

William R Howell
USA GMRS Association

Wow why don’t you just come right out and say it. We are all dumb amateur and gmrs. oh wait you just did. This coming from a person who has been trying to start a GMRS linked for over two years now even before you yourself even had a GMRS callsign. When did you change your mind on the linking being illegal? Did all your attorneys information come up to be lies?
All I can speak for are the people who joined The GMRS Linked Network I myself can ensure that all of the amateur nodes numbers have been removed from software that we are using. I edit the file that points to the IP addresses and node numbers and put in our own URL to pull our lists…
So there is your 1st claim busted.
Some of what you say is true. Most GMRS people have no idea what is going on with this stuff. Put they know how to plug stuff in. That is why I am offing the Plug and play nodes. The people who order this stuff never even ask for the user name and password to login. 90% of the nodes on the network was set up remotely by myself or a admin. The other 10% know what they are doing are not going to add back in the ASL stuff back in.
So trying to come up with your own software that does the same thing is pointless and a waste of time.
Please just go away. All you do is bash everyone.

1 Like

Two years later and still don’t know what your talking about.

1 Like

As one of the “powers that be at ASL” I can assure everyone there’s no chance in hell that Hams and GMRS will coexist on the same network. Only hams can use the AllStarLink network and we don’t give GRMS callsigns a logon to www.allstarlink.org. However, if GRMS folks want to build their own network using app_rpt that’s up to them. But any non-ham individual or network shall never connect to the AllStarLink network per FCC Part 97 rules.

1 Like

I don’t know why people refer to App_rpt as ASL. It drives me nuts. Yes ASL is the most common user of the software

1 Like

I agree with that! App_rpt and AllStarLink are two different things. AllStarLink is the Ham radio network and app_rpt is client software. But even folks at ASL don’t make the distinction.

App_rpt can even be used commercially and have set that up myself for companies and municipalities.

For what it’s worth, I objected when @N4IRS renamed what used to be called DIAL to ASL. But it fell on deaf ears. :man_shrugging:

Thank you for clarifying that. A smart decision.

I read and hear comments in one group or another from time to time where GMRS people want to be able to go to the ASL web page and apply for a “node” number and can’t understand why GMRS operators are not allowed to do so. Many times this comes from those that are also Amateur licensed, I guess they just don’t get the point of the differences.

My link system is up and operational, just not currently available to the general public (licensed GMRS operators) as I don’t feel I have enough repeaters installed to make it worth theirs or my time. Yes, I use the asterisk software with the app_rpt module (after all why reinvent the wheel) and can assure you that in no way will any interference or association come from my servers to your operations. There’s a few of us now deciding on a name to call our system, just like you have ASL, so that long term the two will be known by individual names and with no association. Even though I speak with the “I” this or that, there are about twenty of us working on getting the system up and operational in a professional and respected way. When all said and done, just like ASL, we will be an operation worth sticking with. A force that will be a leading factor in the direction of GMRS future.

If my post earlier lead anyone to believe that I have no use for the licensed Amateur radio operator or that of the licensed GMRS radio operator that was not my intent. There are many individuals within each of the two groups that are sincere and knowledgeable people. I was only trying to describe the difference in mind set based on their knowledge and beliefs of the two. No doubt, as many times before certain individuals get a little backside hurt when you speak the truth, for that, all I can say is, learn how to deal with it and get over it.

As I said earlier, there are areas in which Amateur and GMRS along with Commercial, Public Safety, CB, etc… worlds can coexist. More and more each week/month clubs like ours here locally are bringing in all operators of radio bands in an effort to work together, learn together and expand our communication abilities. I foresee a day where The USA GMRS Association and maybe the ASL group can and will work together to advance the open source asterisk software and hopefully to achieve advancements in communications among all radio communication groups. Till that day arrives, I and my team are here to help anyway I/we can.

William R Howell
USA GMRS Association

The GMRS Linked Network

2 Likes

Well, somewhere along the line you missed the update to this and the clarification that was made to it.

I see that you are still hurting on the backside from the last few times I brought such to your attention about posting incorrect stuff and agin, it’s sad that I have to once again, do it here.

“Wow why don’t you just come right out and say it. We are all dumb amateur and gmrs.” Sir I don’t have to, all one has to do is read your many post to determine if that is true or not.

I had hoped by now that you learned some way to deal with issues that offend you and that when seeing you in forums like this that it would be to advance the cause and not to display your anger issues as you have done so many times in the past in other groups. So lets move on past this and lets work in the direction of offering up assistance and not trying to degrade members of this group.

Admin, if you feel this is in appropriate, please feel free to remove it, and/or me if you so desire, as I will fully understand.

William R Howell

Yes it did. I hated the name DIAL from day zero. I was more then
happy to kill off the name. it is no longer in may hands so call it
whatever you want.

Steve N4IRS
···

On 1/22/2020 11:08 AM, Tim Sawyer via
AllStarLink Discussion Groups wrote:

wd6awp
wd6awp ASL Admin

January 22

WQXN966_Jason:
I don’t know why people refer to
App_rpt as ASL

I agree with that!

App_rpt and AllStarLink are two different things.
AllStarLink is the Ham radio network and app_rpt is client
software. But even folks at ASL don’t make the
distinction.

App_rpt can even be used

commercially and have set that up myself for companies and
municipalities.

For what it’s worth, I

objected when @N4IRS renamed what
used to be called DIAL to ASL. But it fell on deaf ears. :man_shrugging:

Visit Topic
or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

WQXN966_Jason
WQXN966_Jason

January 22
        I don’t know why people refer to

App_rpt as ASL. It drives me nuts. Yes ASL is the most
common user of the software

Visit
Topic
or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list

mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

William. I confess your posting was a bit lengthy and entirely too negative.

I had contacted you some time ago to ask about the hardware and software requirements for your system and the response was that it was “proprietary” . That kind of shut down my interest because I am the kind of guy that likes to know “whats under the hood” and therefore what to expect. Also shortly after, you posted something on Radio Reference to the effect that the FCC prohibits linking of GMRS. Seeing as you now have an extensive network both pleases and confuses me. A response to these developments would be most appreciated.

Secondly, I agree that Part 95 and Part 97 cannot be legally linked together from the perspective of a system that would unwittingly rebroadcast users communications from one to the other. But to say ASL should not support GMRS is totally shortsighted. It was a vision of Jim Dixon that GMRS could be linked. In reality, there are probably simple software rules that could be employed to provide a “Chinese wall” between Ham and GMRS nodes.

I will cede my remaining time awaiting your response.

Can you clarify the mission statement of ASL? Was it not Jim Dixon’s vision to support GMRS? How do you know you dont already host GMRS systems that have been assigned a logon under a persons ham callsign?

"wd6awpASL Admin

william-t2

3d

As one of the “powers that be at ASL” I can assure everyone there’s no chance in hell that Hams and GMRS will coexist on the same network. Only hams can use the AllStarLink network and we don’t give GRMS callsigns a logon to www.allstarlink.org. However, if GRMS folks want to build their own network using app_rpt that’s up to them. But any non-ham individual or network shall never connect to the AllStarLink network per FCC Part 97 rules."

All I said was ham and non-ham networks can not connect. Anything else you read in to my statement was purely your imagination.