Concern about GMRS

yes there is a way to remove any confusion. and that is for people to get it right ASL is a network not a software. Keep GMRS off the amateur network AKA ASL and join networks that are for GMRS. like The GMRS Linked Network

I know we are really swamped for the next few months but I will bring it up at a future board meeting. I can’t speak for the other board members since we have never discusses this. I know Jim Dixon was in support of it. He was actually going to help me set one up. One of the biggest issues will be supporting GMRS customers. If someone from the GMRS community would take on those support requests, that definitely make the proposition a lot more attractive. You wouldn’t believe how many emails come in just for password resets because people either don’t have access to their old email or even don’t know their email address they used to sign up. I need to look for a post I read somewhere that the FCC responded and they said they were fine with GMRS repeaters using the internet as long as they didn’t connect up to the telephone network. It can be argued that DSL and definitely a cable modem internet connection is not part of the PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network). Just because a DSL line can but not always has dial tone on the wires, doesn’t mean it is connected up to the Public Switched Network. I would argue that it isn’t. There is no Telephone Switch involved. At best you have a DSLAM located in the Central Office. It wouldn’t be difficult to replicate the registration server that was completely different than the Allstar registration server. The Ham nodes would then not be able to connect to the GMRS nodes. In other words, there were be a node 2005 on the Ham network and a node 2005 on the GMRS network. I could even host it at my office if the board didn’t want to do it.

1 Like

Jason ; will the GMRS Linked Network support simulcast?

What are the model numbers/manufacturers of GMRS radios handheld radios?
You never know, if this became popular enough, I bet the bumble rap GMRS radio manufacturers would add a touch tone pad. I could see a whole bunch of GMRS simplex nodes being very popular. Even more so then a repeater.

1 Like

If ASL can we can you just have to be the person to make it work on The GMRS Linked Network. We have never had a need we are all 100 or more miles apart. Our team is all ways up for some finding some more stuff our we are limited on how we can use the software but simulcast is not one of them

1 Like

Todd; It takes a bit of research to find the model numbers and capabilities of various GMRS radios. I can tell you this, Midland is making a lot of sales of some nice radios, but I really cannot recommend them because they are basically narrowband FRS radios with high power. By bringing on NB radios on GMRS, you leave a lot of S/N performance on the table. GMRS is 16K0F3E wideband as FM-God Edwin Armstrong intended.

yes the Midland radios sounds bad.

1 Like

I totally understand about the support side of this. Though I am a “radio guy” the networking side has a learning curve for me. A help would be a knowledge base to get folks started. I have found this technology is supported by software folks who speak another language and “they get it” while the rest of us are simply looking for the install package.

As far as the FCC, the Board could take a position “that as long as the FCC does not object, we don’t”.

My concern as far as GMRS is that it is the only high performance radio service available to all citizens that does not require a monthly fee (other than $70/10 years which is a pittance). There needs to be more activity and if not, the FCC will see it as more spectrum to auction off. It is after all, right smack in the middle of Part 90 and the FCC has already encroached on it allowing the guard bands to be used by Part 90.

The major manufacturers are not helpful in providing needed high performance product like repeaters and wide band repeater capable radios. So the effort has to be grass roots, IE We are here, we are big, we are licensed, we matter. Otherwise when GMRS is gone, enjoy your expensive 5G smartphone that has no dial tone out in the smokey mountains. There are many GMRS repeaters in the Smokey Mountains!

The GMRS Linked Network is offing plug and play Simplex stations. gmrs.network

1 Like

MMMM Hello from someone in The GMRS Community. I am all ready offing support.

How are they dealing with linking the repeaters? Are they always all tied together? One of my personal favorite features of Allstar is that you don’t need to tie up every repeater; you can simply connect up repeaters on demand.

We are only offering at the moment to be able to connect to one of our for hubs but we do have the ability to connect to each other it’s just a lot of people do not know how to port forward so having them connect to our hubs that have the parts open makes things a hell of a lot easier

Along with that, more or less… Probably/maybe answered in some consideration, “what does the FCC say about…” one licensee ‘controlling’ another’s station? At some point maybe, at least site-to-site linking, unless the ability of remote AllStar node control functions are locked-down/-out … what wouldn’t the FCC want/allow for a remote operator to be able to control? Not sure what there would, could or should be able to control, just pondering.

¡¡¡

On Friday, December 27, 2019, 04:11:06 PM PST, Todd-KM6RPT via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

Todd-KM6RPT
Board Member

December 28

How are they dealing with linking the repeaters? Are they always all tied together? One of my personal favorite features of Allstar is that you don’t need to tie up every repeater; you can simply connect up repeaters on demand.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

WQXN966_Jason

December 27

The GMRS Linked Network is offing plug and play Simplex stations. gmrs.network

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

I couldn’t see any reason why they wouldn’t treat it any different than the way they treat Ham Radio repeaters.

The FCC rules really don’t say much. They have indeed carved out an exemption in the general part 95 rules which allows network connection for GMRS . There is also admittedly some conflicting language, but if you track it back in history, its likely a scriveners error. If you think about it, as long as each repeater owner is permitting access, it is no different if you key a mobile locally or at a remote station. The result is the same. Folks read too much into what the FCC is mute about.

It was actually Jim Dixon’s intent to set up a GMRS Allstarlink system. You can hear him talk about it on this video.

2 Likes

Has anyone used the Baofeng - BTECH GMRS-V1 GMRS?

If so, is it truly a radio that is capable of transmitting on old GMRS frequencies?

https://baofengtech.com/gmrs-v1

The problem is price. The node I make using the BF888s cost $150 and GMRS people just don’t want to put that much money in to talk on a radio.

I have seen a few GMRS repeaters and repeater networks. Are they controlled by DTMF and can you just connect up to specific repeaters like Allstar or are there fixed connection points?

Thanks

Because a lot of people don’t know how to port forward we have a main hub and 3 other nodes that a node can connect to. I do have the ability to Input IP addresses to allow them to Direct Connect. But as of right now the hubs are the only nodes that will allow incoming connections because it’s they are the only nodes to pull the full list of nodes. Most of the new nodes will connect on boot up.
We can do everything ASL can do because we are using the app-rpt software.
The only thing we don’t have is status reporting. But every node connects to one of our hubs it’s not a big deal. Have a look gmrs.network