ASL 2.0.0 Beta USBradio CTCSS?

Question, will 2.0.0 USBradio still generate and decode CTCSS? I have a MTR2000 and need to generate the outbound tone which will require composite voice/tone audio generation.

tnx N4SJW

I’m sure it will but I have not tested USBradio at all. Do you have a spare node you can test it on?

I have a testbed here at the house, but will need to rewire for 9600 tx and discriminator RX. I’ll check back in a few days.

USBradio works just like it always has, and will generate and decode CTCSS and resolve the carrier (noise) squelch when fed with real discriminator audio which has not been HP or LP filtered. 2.0.0 has Allison (telemetry) ducking, selectable audio bandwidth filtering, and properly implemented DAHDI timing.

I have this running on several high-traffic nodes (using usbradio) and I think it works great.

Kevin,
Could you say anything more about DAHDI timing changes ?
OR
Is there anything written about new spec ?

Thanks Kevin,

Quick question, my reason for generating the CTCSS TX code in Allstar is that I’m using an MTR2000 and want to inject the composite signal into the A17 backplane connector. Will that meet the requirement for no HP or LP filtering?

Hardware dependent DAHDI timing issues were originally repaired by Steve (N4IRS) and Mike (N4IRR) in the DIAL release for X86 and the original Pi release. This patch is necessary as some hardware doesn’t accommodate for VoIP audio streaming properly as a hardware function. Somehow along the way, this fix got lost, broken, or corrupted in later ASL 1.0 Raspberry Pi distributions. Adam KC1KCC found and fixed this in his version which ultimately became ASL 2.0.0. DAHDI timing issues result in a stuttering of the transmitted audio stream, sometimes sounding like a machine gun in the background.

The wide bandwidth rules are an invention of Jeff (WN3A) and are available to widen both the receive and transmit audio path (local) when the usbradio channel driver is used. This is well documented here:
https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Audio_Filters

Allison (telemetry) ducking is a feature that I envisioned and requested many years ago. Steve Henke W9SH developed and introduced this functionality in XIPAR. Adam KC1KCC finished the porting of this code into this BETA, as well as XIPAR’s “Simple Voter” functionality. Allison Ducking allows you to change the volume of the telemetry (ID’s, node announcements, etc.) under two states - normal (or nominal) and when someone (anywhere) has a PTT depressed. This feature allows you to set the announcement volume level that suits you under these two conditions. I set mine so Allison is reduced in level normally, and even more when someone has the hammer down - allowing local listeners to hear the radio operator over Allison when they are both talking. This is just like what you’d hear from a radio station disc jockey mixing his voice in with program material. The difference is the PTT button is the trigger, not the presence of audio from any user. This ducking action happens with local or remote PTT activity.

Simple Voter is just that - simple. There is no advanced timing corrections, but is a very functional voter allowing for remote receivers to be placed and chosen from comparing quality (RSS) in a large system.

Kevin W3KKC

1 Like

N4SWJ - I’m sorry - I don’t know anything about the MTR2000 or where to properly connect to the transmitters modulator. There may be something on my Repeater Builder site that would tell you for sure, or subscribe to the RB group at IO and post the question there.