Allstar Telemetry

I have been working on implementing the telemetry functions of Allstar. The repeater app is hard-wired for a device called a ‘chameleon’ which unfortunately no longer exists. After some considerable reverse engineering I have created a replacement, and successfully connected it to Allstar. It has up to 8 analog inputs which can measure battery voltages, temperature, PA current, and in addition there are 5 digital inputs and 5 outputs, which can be controlled by DTMF sequences and raise alarms, such as the shack door being open. It has been tested with both current releases of Allstar, including the new 2.0.0 beta version.

In addition the encoder has a WiFi port that can be used for remote monitoring, and there is a web-based GUI developed that augments the voice functions with alarms that can be delivered by e-mail or SMS messages. Both the USB allstar mode and Wifi can be used concurrently, a local hotspot can be created at the site with an inexpensive access point.

There is a limited number of these encoders available, and I am looking for anyone interested in participating in a beta trial. It is distributed as a kit, and takes only a couple of hours to build, all components are through-hole. There is a dedicated discussion forum on groups.io, (allstarTelemetry@groups.io | Home), if you would like to participate please join the group.

Documentation is available on how to configure it, as well as app notes for how to implement temperature and current measurement.

Thanks for going forward on this.
While I left it alone for lack of info when other possibilities existed.
I just wanted to note that there are plenty of ways to interface I/O to our servers with some simple shell scripts and/or dialplan entries.

I wrote a few for example that are very inexpensive to do.
More Site Control Devices TTL232 and 16 relays PC or Pi.
I would say for those more timid about scripting to get your feet wet as it not that hard at all.
You learn things one issue at a time.
You may be surprised what you can do once you get those wheels turning.
Create something you need and share it with the rest.

Hi Mike, would you like to join in the discussion group? I can send you an invitation.

Hi Mike,
Yes, there may be scripts to twiddle outputs on a Pi, but you still need external signal conditioning circuitry if you want to handle larger voltages and currents. To establish a baseline with Allstar, I added that to the board, both inputs and outputs are buffered and can handle higher voltages, and sink up to 40mA per output.
However, it does not end there. Adding the IP packet capability extends the functionality to remote monitoring over an IP network, as well as the potential to introduce automation and potentially experiment with the us of AI. That is where the future development activity will be.

Whoops… I gave the wrong link. (That was the follow-up)
Here is the correct one.

Well, if you view the link I provided and look at the boards, they are entirely ‘IP’ driven/controlled and I think the relays are rated for 10amp. Both boards can be programmed as inputs/outputs per pin and the one board accepts the dallas temp sensor. 16 i/o’s attached to relays and the price makes it hard to pass-up for well under $50 for everything needed.
I did provide a generic sketch of a dialplan for control. But I use my own custom dialplan.
Feel free to adapt to your own needs or as a framework to get started on your project…