Yet another registration problem

We have a large linked network of 900 MHz repeaters. Our main server has 5 HUBs and a handfull of RTCMs defined in the same rpt.conf. This has been stable for a number of years. Today only 2 of the 5 HUBs are registered. I’ve tried shutting asterisk down for 5 minutes and restarting. It’s odd that the same 3 HUB nodes don’t register. The two HUB nodes that DO register are: 41170 and 42610. The three HUB nodes NOT registering are: 27714, 42947 and 49729.

I’ve submitted a help ticket.

Thanks,
Tom / K5TRA

Tim,

I changed 27714 in iax.conf and restarted. Now it’s registered; but so are the others (inconclusive as to why).

Tom

···

From: Tim Sawyer via AllStarLink Discussion Groups [mailto:noreply@community.allstarlink.org]
Sent: Monday, February 3, 2020 8:24 PM
To: tom@k5tra.net
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] Yet another registration problem

wd6awp ASL Admin
February 4

Just for grins point one of your servers to us.reg.allstarlink.org and tell me if that works better?

This is only a test. Not to be used on a regular basis at this time.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

I restarted one of the registration servers. Maybe that fixed it for you.

Just fyi, you can do iax2 reload rather than restarting.

Back in early days of ASL there was only one registration server when ASL was smaller and there was no need to turn on dnsmgr in asterisk.

(Legacy node owner this pertains to your old Allstarlink nodes that have been running for years.)

Recently, because of the growth of ASL over the last few years we have had to add more registration servers to balance the load that was being put on one single server trying to handle more than 3500 nodes all trying to register. Lately, we have been seeing issues with some users registering. I believe these are Legacy nodes owners and are having issues because they do not have dnsmgr enabled for their nodes.

See the link on the wiki. https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Dnsmgr.conf

Enabling dnsmgr might help solve your node registration problems.

Basically if you enable dnsmgr, if one of the three registration servers goes down, your node will look for another registration server to register too.

There are three servers, SEA, ORD and CQF, so there is a pretty good chance that your node would be successful registering with another server if one is down or not working correctly.

Marshall - ke6pcv

Thanks Marshall. Yes, I already did that yesterday. Hopefully that will help going forward. That server is an earlier CentOS ACID implementation that’s been running for 5 years; so, I needed to add the /etc/asterisk/dnsmgr.conf file.

‘Go ahead and close the ticket for now.

Regards,

Tom / K5TRA