XIPAR-style Simple Voter in ASL

Was any of the Simple Voter functionality ported from XIPAR to ASL? I’m a bit late to the game and never had the opportunity to try XIPAR. It seems that that ship has sailed since the website no longer exists and the installer ISO depended upon it. I’m playing around with chan_voter/rtcm currently, but I’d like to compare it to something simpler (and less expensive.) I don’t see anything in the current ASL source code that would indicate that the functionality exists here, but there is a page in the How-To’s section of the wiki that shows implementation instructions for it.

Check this out on the wiki page

https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Simple_voter

Marshall

···

From: kc1kcc via AllStarLink Discussion Groups [mailto:noreply@community.allstarlink.org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 4:59 PM
To: ke6pcv@cal-net.org
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] XIPAR-style Simple Voter in ASL

kc1kcc
November 14

Was any of the Simple Voter functionality ported from XIPAR to ASL? I’m a bit late to the game and never had the opportunity to try XIPAR. It seems that that ship has sailed since the website no longer exists and the installer ISO depended upon it. I’m playing around with chan_voter/rtcm currently, but I’d like to compare it to something simpler (and less expensive.) I don’t see anything in the current ASL source code that would indicate that the functionality exists here, but there is a page in the How-To’s section of the wiki that shows implementation instructions for it.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Hi Marshall,
Thanks for the response. I’m not sure if those instructions apply to ASL. The referenced urd.conf doesn’t exist in ASL. I’ve tried modifying usbradio.conf in its place, but it doesn’t seem to have any affect. Also, after reviewing app_rpt.c and chan_usbradio.c, I couldn’t find anything about voter except for references to chan_voter (I think.). If I had a copy of the XIPAR source code for comparison, I might be able to sort things out, but I don’t think the source is readily available any longer.

Adam

Try adding and configuring the urd.conf and I don’t know if there is a module for that but check modules.conf to see if it’s listed and disabled.

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, there is no chan_urd module and urd.conf does not appear to be getting read by ASL. Fortunately, I was able to get my hands on a copy of the XIPAR source code (thanks Kevin!) and I believe I can implement the necessary changes under ASL and in chan_usbradio. I’ll let you folks know how it goes.

Does anyone here have an environment where they’d like to test this feature?

Do you mind sharing the source to XIPAR?

Here is a Asterisk sources from the Xipar distro. Lots of interesting stuff there along with app_rpt, including xpmr channel driver, which is important part of Xipar that allows to run LTR (trunking) system (have no idea how to integrate it with app_rpt).

https://bit.ly/3gyCAOH

In cases where it is necessary to use voting, I install it on top of the ASL distro.
Nevertheless, the development of ASL version of app_rpt has gone far ahead, and I would like the ASL to support voting along with lots of nice options that were included to ASL within last years.

Is there any success with integration voting functionality from Xipar to ASL?

https://github.com/ajpaul25/XIPAR_Asterisk

1 Like

From time to time I dig into the xipar code, and find a lot of interesting things there.
In fact, my study of Linux began precisely with the desire to make RoIP technology work on my repeater, and the first software that I used was xipar.
Unfortunately, at that time I was not able to consciously interact with this software and have to catch up now, when the distribution is no longer available.
One of the interesting advantages of xipar is the extended support for LMR applications, the code mentions p25 as well as LSD.
I am currently researching the possibilities of LSD, which is related to the LTR standard.
Encoding and decoding of LTR signaling is provided by the code available in the amateur version of xipar, as part of the XPMR DSP and the URD channel driver.
But a separate parser, XPMRX, was responsible for the logic of LTR trunking. As far as I can remember the years when I used xipar, this module was available in the professional version of the distribution,
and its installation required agreement with the developer. Also in the installation files there is a mention of the mysterious XAPPL binary which was downloaded from the xipar server.
I like this legacy analog LTR standard and some of its features like roaming (in some versions of it) and it would be very interesting to try to make it work on app_rpt.
As far as I understand, the author of the xipar, unfortunately, left us, but some members of the RoIP community still have contacts with members of his family.
Perhaps there is some chance to get all the sources of this extremely solid software, because otherwise all this unique work will disappear without a trace.

1 Like