Which adapter to use with a Flex 6000 series radio?

I have a remote shack with a Flex 6400. For audio, I currently use Sonobus as the jitter tends to upset SmartSDR for Mac. I'm considering setting up an ASL3 node connected to the Flex via the Spkr, Mic and PTT connectors, but I'm not sure which of the many available adapters to use.

An HF radio isn't really used for AllStarLink although I suppose you could use it for 6m FM operations. Any audio adapter such as a Masters Communication, AllScan, etc. would work. You'd have to use chan_usbradio and do CTCSS detection from audio not at the radio level.

A bit off your question but you might look at AetherSDR. Apparently it handles audio differently than MacroSDR. Full disclosure: I don’t use a Flex (yet!) but I’ve heard good things about AetherSDR

Check out Allscan.info, his hardware is excellent to use for AllStarLink, I use his full-duplex and simples hardware for my nodes.

If AetherSDR or some other package has a USRP interface, that would probably be the ideal way to interface with ASL, I would think. No idea if anything that can talk to Flex radios supports that, though.

···

On Sep 6, 2026, at 14:44, Jeff [email protected] wrote:

Someone replied to a topic you are Watching.

| KE2HNI
September 6 |

  • | - |

Check out Allscan.info, his hardware is excellent to use for AllStarLink, I use his full-duplex and simples hardware for my nodes.


Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

You can use any of the usb radio devices, rim-lite, uri-x, Kevin’s RA series, ARIUSB5 from hot spot radios… the remote node set to half duplex, you could tie the cos input to ground so it is always sending the audio… your node at your home or where ever will need to be setup full duplex… there is turn key radio less node or get a full duplex hot spot radio repeater and use your ht to talk and listen.

Remote node should be set up so you can connect to your personal node. This way you are in control of it. Do not allow others to connect to it

You should be able to use a SIP client like BareSIP. Since you aren't going to be using repeater audio to send out to the Flex, there's no need for COS or other signals. I've used it with my Icom IC-9100 over the USB audio interface. I had to set up some scripts to key the mic - *99 and # to send PTT over CAT but it works fine.

Allstar app_rpt has hf/vhf-uhf rig remote base in the source code though in asl3 it doesn’t work. If you can grab an earlier version of asl I know it can control most yaesu rigs

Thanks, all.
Plenty of food for thought.