Voltage measurement on Rpi?

Hi,

In the rpt.conf file, there is a stanza named [meter-faces] and several lines concerning the voltage measurement and announcement .

Where can I find more infos about this ?

Thanks and 73,
Patrick

Patrick, there is no known ‘open’ dev on this inside our app.
How that got in our release is unknown. There were a few things like that in there.
But perhaps someone on that dev team will speak to it.

As far as I know, the voltage metering has something along this line posted on the web.
I can see this being handy for those with very remote sites and solar power.
https://kookye.com/2017/06/01/design-a-voltmeter-with-the-raspberry-pi-board-and-voltage-sensor/

There is nothing ‘official’ on our side of it.

I took a look at the code. It appears that the meter-faces section is related to a serial device that can provide ADC input and output capability.

This is referred to internally as UCHAMELEON and the serial device responds, when initialized, with Chameleon.

You can see someone else’s response here - Telemetry support in app_rpt

This is a nice feature however I cannot find any reference to the hardware on the internet. We should find a new serial board that supports the input and output features and support that in the code base.

Danny/KB4MDD

Maybe this ?
https://chameleondaq.com/

Before anyone goes off on a tangent about this,
I have done DAQ for about 30 years.
The Chameleon software pointed to in that link is designed to run with National Instruments ‘hardware’.
Quite pricey I might add. But not built to run on a Pi. Think industrial use like automating a process. Chemical plant, assembly line etc. Even a car wash !

As far as someone making this or something like it for our use. Nothing stopping anyone from doing it.
I have 10 years of projects and 5 years behind so I vote for the guys who suggest it.
The Pi version of the software has been out there for years and I see no action.

That said, The Pi has a lot of built in stuff that can be utilized for DAQ type operations. Input & Output pins, serial inputs and plenty od USB’s. It just takes someone the time to write it. Personally, I see little value in it for what it does for us outside of a cool toy to impress your friends?.

But there is plenty of stuff out there on the web for the Pi if you want to meter your station in some way or control things there. Most can be achieved with shell scripts and limited amount of external hardware.

I did recently add 2 items in the development area of the forum for remote site control but as I remember it, the Tasmota device could be reconfig’d to do analog to digital. And it’s cheap.
Have to do your own research. The other device in that will support a dallas temp sensor.

So, the rest in in your need and a .sh script.

To add to my previous post…
While looking at the latest source code,

I see the full(?) config of daq in the system. (rpt.conf)
(previously only seen a minor few statements in a pi config)

Here is a view…
And I wish that whoever put the code in there would document some of it since we all carry the weight of having it in our system, but can not make use of it.
I have not the time to do so by looking at the source alone. And I made other means of doing similar.
So, I have not the need to do the work.

And I did take a new look at DAQ hardware and a lot of it has come way down in price if you are willing to use ‘used’ equipment.
Something like this should be adaptable.(found on ebay as open box? which I am always skeptical of)
But I did not look at the details of this device to see if there are any a/d & d/a converters onboard.

; Data Acquisition configuration

;[daq-list]
;device = device_name1
;device = device_name2

;Where: device_name1 and device_name2 are stanzas you define in this file

;device = daq-cham-1

; Device name

;[daq-cham-1] ; Defined in [daq-list]
;hwtype = uchameleon ; DAQ hardware type
;devnode = /dev/ttyUSB0 ; DAQ device node (if required)
;1 = inadc ; Pin definition for an ADC channel
;2 = inadc
;3 = inadc
;4 = inadc
;5 = inadc
;6 = inadc
;7 = inadc
;8 = inadc
;9 = inp ; Pin definition for an input with a weak pullup resistor
;10 = inp
;11 = inp
;12 = inp
;13 = in ; Pin definition for an input without a weak pullup resistor
;14 = out ; Pin definition for an output
;15 = out
;16 = out
;17 = out
;18 = out

;[meter-faces]

;face = scale(scalepre,scalediv,scalepost),word/?,…
;
; scalepre = offset to add before dividing with scalediv
; scalediv = full scale/number of whole units (e.g. 256/20 or 12.8 for 20 volts).
; scalepost = offset to add after dividing with scalediv
;
;face = range(X-Y:word,X2-Y2:word,…),word/?,…
;face = bit(low-word,high-word),word/?,…
;
; word/? is either a word in /var/lib/asterisk/sounds or one of its subdirectories,
; or a question mark which is a placeholder for the measured value.
;
;
; Battery voltage 0-20 volts
;batvolts = scale(0,12.8,0),rpt/thevoltageis,?,ha/volts
; 4 quadrant wind direction
;winddir = range(0-33:north,34-96:west,97-160:south,161-224:east,225-255:north),rpt/thewindis,?
; LM34 temperature sensor with 130 deg. F full scale
;lm34f = scale(0,1.969,0),rpt/thetemperatureis,?,degrees,fahrenheit
; Status poll (non alarmed)
;light = bit(ha/off,ha/on),ha/light,?

So… there you are, you kinda know what you are getting into.