USB hubs

Has anyone successfully used a USB hub for multiple nodes? If so what model have you used? Do we still need to locate a multi TT hub or do the newer usb 3.0 hubs work fine?
John Rudolph
Amateur Radio Op N2YP
Unadilla,NY

The problem with USB Hubs are not the speed at all. It’s that
hubs are 2.0, and USB Sound cards are 1.1 (Don’t believe what the
specs say).

Most USB2.0 Hubs only have one translator from 1.1 to 2.0. This

is fine in normal situations because most devices are not real
time. Our voice systems require multiple near-realtime data
transfers which all have to share that one is “Multi-TT”. Multi-TT
hubs usually (in the ones I’ve seen) have 1 translator per port
instead of the single shared one.

I personally have used

both at home to
support multiple USB Sound Cards for Mixing audio - and within the
past 6 months put this one at VE3LSR with zero issues.

Choosing others, your millage will very, but look for a

“Multi-TT” Hub.

Cheers and 73,

VE3YCA
···

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00SZ2DPU2
On 4/2/18 9:33 PM, John Rudolph- N2YP
wrote:

Has

anyone successfully used a USB hub for multiple nodes? If so what
model have you used? Do we still need to locate a multi TT hub or
do the newer usb 3.0 hubs work fine?

John Rudolph

Amateur Radio Op N2YP

Unadilla,NY

App_rpt-users@lists.allstarlink.orghttp://lists.allstarlink.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-usershttp://lists.allstarlink.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users

Yes, that model multi-TT hub works well. I've got several of them, they
go by various brand names, but the same UH-217C-US model number.

...That model is getting scarce these days, unfortunately.

73, David KB4FXC

···

On Fri, 6 Apr 2018, Jason Kendall wrote:

The problem with USB Hubs are not the speed at all. It's that hubs are
2.0, and USB Sound cards are 1.1 (Don't believe what the specs say).

Most USB2.0 Hubs only have one translator from 1.1 to 2.0. This is fine
in normal situations because most devices are not real time. Our voice
systems require multiple near-realtime data transfers which all have to
share that one is "Multi-TT". Multi-TT hubs usually (in the ones I've
seen) have 1 translator per port instead of the single shared one.

I personally have used https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00SZ2DPU2 both
at home to support multiple USB Sound Cards for Mixing audio - and
within the past 6 months put this one at VE3LSR with zero issues.

Choosing others, your millage will very, but look for a "Multi-TT" Hub.

Cheers and 73,
VE3YCA

On 4/2/18 9:33 PM, John Rudolph- N2YP wrote:
> Has anyone successfully used a USB hub for multiple nodes? If so what
> model have you used? Do we still need to locate a multi TT hub or do
> the newer usb 3.0 hubs work fine?
> John Rudolph
> Amateur Radio Op N2YP
> Unadilla,NY
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> App_rpt-users mailing list
> App_rpt-users@lists.allstarlink.org
> http://lists.allstarlink.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users
>
> To unsubscribe from this list please visit http://lists.allstarlink.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Enter your email address and press the "Unsubscribe or edit options button"
> You do not need a password to unsubscribe, you can do it via email confirmation. If you have trouble unsubscribing, please send a message to the list detailing the problem.

Finally found this… Thanks. Hope, ASL3 thinks about and better explains the USB changes, I am having issues with mapping 2 or more nodes on a industrial PC with debain 12. Having to deep dive to understand why cant see both RA-40s. Im not great with Linux and all these community make it so hard to deep dive with “actual” good documentation. Maybe the AI can help ASL devs with that… Fingers crossed this helps me figure out why I can just tell 1:4 to be the node 1 and the other to be 1:5 etc

Have you tried running asl-find-sound to enumerate the available sound devices and their asterisk device codes. Note that asl-find-sound must be run as root or via sudo(1).

yelp. no output at all… nada
lsusb list 5 devices,
3 hubs, (ark-1123 by Advantech has manual)
other 2 devices are the C-Media (RA-40)

Hoping to get back to remote site soon and use the commands to find out about the Multi-TT etc.

Can you paste in a copy of the lsusb output?

Also, I took a quick peek at a ARK-1123 manual and noticed (on page 43) that the “Advanced” BIOS settings include something called “Legacy USB Support”. I don’t know what choices are available nor their impact to the OS for connected devices but this might be something for you to research.

There are other USB references on page 50 and 52.

Just things to look at :slight_smile:

Ill note WA3WCO “Legacy USB Support” is enabled. Ive tried it and a few other of the bios settings. I have to reboot many times also when doing these tests to cycle through root cause. Then I normally try each thing 2-3 times as a human I could be the one making mistakes not the DEV’s. More often than not however its DEV’s that just poor communicators like me. Anyway not figured out the why yet.
I have my hub node on the web now though with HTTPS. at ms.w4bww.net

Sorry, I was away for a few days.

From your lsusb output I see 2 C-Media devices (most likely your RA-40’s). You should be able to use the asl-find-sound command to view the “sound” devices and their associated device strings. Are you not able to configure these devices with ASL3?

Note: when you use the ASL3 menu (asl-menu) to add a new node to a system we start off with “devstr” not set. The simpleusb and usbradio channel drivers will assign an available sound device when one has not been assigned. Given that you have “2” devices I would suggest that you start off your configuration with only one node, connect only it’s dongle, use the “Interface Tune CLI” to update the settings, and “write” the config (that will include the device string). Then, add the second node, connect it’s dongle, and repeat the configuration steps to get the correct device string set in the configuration.