URI Hook up for Yeasu VXR-7000 (Angeo and Kevin)

I’m very interested in this thread because I recently attempted to get this working on a VXR-7000 with a RIM Lite from Scott Zimmerman.

In my case, I initially tried using dsp mode and could not get it working at all. We wanted to use dsp mode because we wanted to implement the PL tones through the Raspberry Pi 3 controller. I then fell back to using COR from the repeater with carrierfrom=USBinvert in the usbradio.conf file. This works correctly but of course, we’ll have to program the PL into the repeater itself.

I know that the URI and the RIM Lite are different interfaces with different wiring diagrams, but the concept should be the same. Since the initial setup of the repeater, I’ve attempted to use dsp mode with a Raspberry Pi 3 with a RIM Lite and a different radio at my QTH and it seems to work just fine. Granted different radio, etc. but at least the Pi has the power to do the job.

Might be an interesting idea to create a repository for radio and interface connection diagrams with the relevant configuration bits. That could probably save folks a lot of hassle in trying to figure this stuff out for themselves. (I DO appreciate the learning factor and it’s benefits, but it sure can be frustrating sometimes!)

73!

Bill Higgins

N0NOE

Sullivan Amateur Radio Club

AllStar Link Node 44011

You may want to check out http://aplaceonthe.net/blog/connecting-the-vertex-vxr-7000-to-allstar-app_rpt/

···

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone on the Verizon 4G LTE Network

Sent: February 15, 2017 12:14

To: app_rpt-users@lists.allstarlink.org

Reply-to: app_rpt-users@lists.allstarlink.org

Subject: Re: [App_rpt-users] URI Hook up for Yeasu VXR-7000 (Angeo and Kevin)

I’m very interested in this thread because I recently attempted to get this working on a VXR-7000 with a RIM Lite from Scott Zimmerman.

In my case, I initially tried using dsp mode and could not get it working at all. We wanted to use dsp mode because we wanted to implement the PL tones through the Raspberry Pi 3 controller. I then fell back to using COR from the repeater with carrierfrom=USBinvert in the usbradio.conf file. This works correctly but of course, we’ll have to program the PL into the repeater itself.

I know that the URI and the RIM Lite are different interfaces with different wiring diagrams, but the concept should be the same. Since the initial setup of the repeater, I’ve attempted to use dsp mode with a Raspberry Pi 3 with a RIM Lite and a different radio at my QTH and it seems to work just fine. Granted different radio, etc. but at least the Pi has the power to do the job.

Might be an interesting idea to create a repository for radio and interface connection diagrams with the relevant configuration bits. That could probably save folks a lot of hassle in trying to figure this stuff out for themselves. (I DO appreciate the learning factor and it’s benefits, but it sure can be frustrating sometimes!)

73!

Bill Higgins

N0NOE

Sullivan Amateur Radio Club

AllStar Link Node 44011

That site goes through a HUGE dissertation of hacking up the radio,
complaining about the RX audio quality (which there is nothing wrong
with - except it’s low level), and more grumblings.
All they would have needed to do was set RXBOOST=1 and the radio
tune would have calibrated just fine. I’m rather certain I used pin
6 of the DB25 for receive audio to the URI, but we’ll see.
Since there’s more than one person wanting this information, I may
go to the site this evening.
Kevin

···

On 2/15/2017 5:22 PM, James R. Pilgram
wrote:

You may want to check
out

http://aplaceonthe.net/blog/connecting-the-vertex-vxr-7000-to-allstar-app_rpt/

You may want to check
out

That site goes through a HUGE dissertation of hacking up the radio,

complaining about the RX audio quality (which there is nothing wrong
with - except it’s low level), and more grumblings.

All they would have needed to do was set RXBOOST=1 and the radio

tune would have calibrated just fine. I’m rather certain I used pin
6 of the DB25 for receive audio to the URI, but we’ll see.

Since there's more than one person wanting this information, I *may*

Kevin
···

On 2/15/2017 5:22 PM, James R. Pilgram
wrote:

http://aplaceonthe.net/blog/connecting-the-vertex-vxr-7000-to-allstar-app_rpt/

So here we are... back from the site.

There's a DB25 male connector that plugs into the Vertex VXR-7000. And, there's a DB25 male on the other end that plugs into the URI.

On the repeater end I have the following:
Pin 1 = shield = GND
Pin 6 = white = DISC OUT
Pin 12 = orange = EXT PTT
Pin 13 = black = GND
Pin 24 = red = TXD LOW

On the URI end I have the following:
Pin 1 = orange = PTT
Pin 13 = shield = GND
Pin 19 = black = GND
Pin 21 = white = MIC_AC
Pin 23 = red = RIGHT_OUT

That's it - no surprises. Program the repeater correctly, and turn on "Remote" by pressing the switch on the front panel of the VXR.
Use the files at www.masterscommunications.com/temp/2302/ as a guide for your ASL configurations.
The files shown are for DIAL.

I used the right output for voice - you don't have to, just use pin 22 on the URI instead of pin 23 and change the configuration in usbradio.conf to:
txmixa=voice
txmixb=no

For transmitter audio, I chose TXD_LOW instead of TX AF IN because it sounded better. This input is before hardware pre-emphasis and limiting so both are applied to audio that's inputted here. That's why the usbradio config file does not have preemphasis or limiting turned on.

The high and low pass filter references in my usbradio.conf file refers to code that's currently in beta testing for DIAL. That code will eventually be included in the DIAL release. It's been available in XIPAR for years.
Steve Zingman may choose to comment more on its availability for those wanting to try it, and I can explain what it does if someone is interested.

Hope this helps... Comments or questions welcomed,
Kevin - W3KKC

···

On 2/15/2017 6:08 PM, Kevin Custer wrote:

All they would have needed to do was set RXBOOST=1 and the radio tune would have calibrated just fine. I'm rather certain I used pin 6 of the DB25 for receive audio to the URI, but we'll see.

Since there's more than one person wanting this information, I *may* go to the site this evening.

Kevin

Thanks, Keven. We have a two meter VXR7000 in Safed that we want to put on to Allstar. We will follow your instructions. Do you think that USBradio will work find with Raspberry Pi3 on this system?

Eric Guth
4Z1UG
Allstar: 28422
QSO Today

···

-----Original Message-----
From: App_rpt-users [mailto:app_rpt-users-bounces@lists.allstarlink.org] On Behalf Of Kevin Custer
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 3:13 AM
To: Users of Asterisk app_rpt

All they would have needed to do was set RXBOOST=1 and the radio tune
would have calibrated just fine. I'm rather certain I used pin 6 of
the DB25 for receive audio to the URI, but we'll see.

Since there's more than one person wanting this information, I *may*

Kevin

There's a DB25 male connector that plugs into the Vertex VXR-7000. And, there's a DB25 male on the other end that plugs into the URI.

Pin 1 = shield = GND
Pin 6 = white = DISC OUT
Pin 13 = black = GND
Pin 24 = red = TXD LOW

Pin 1 = orange = PTT
Pin 13 = shield = GND
Pin 19 = black = GND
Pin 21 = white = MIC_AC
Pin 23 = red = RIGHT_OUT

That's it - no surprises. Program the repeater correctly, and turn on "Remote" by pressing the switch on the front panel of the VXR.
Use the files at www.masterscommunications.com/temp/2302/ as a
guide for your ASL configurations.

I used the right output for voice - you don't have to, just use pin 22 on the URI instead of pin 23 and change the configuration in usbradio.conf to:
txmixa=voice
txmixb=no

For transmitter audio, I chose TXD_LOW instead of TX AF IN because it sounded better. This input is before hardware pre-emphasis and limiting so both are applied to audio that's inputted here. That's why the usbradio config file does not have preemphasis or limiting turned on.

The high and low pass filter references in my usbradio.conf file refers to code that's currently in beta testing for DIAL. That code will eventually be included in the DIAL release. It's been available in XIPAR for years.
Steve Zingman may choose to comment more on its availability for those wanting to try it, and I can explain what it does if someone is interested.

Hope this helps... Comments or questions welcomed, Kevin - W3KKC

To unsubscribe from this list please visit http://lists.allstarlink.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Enter your email address and press the "Unsubscribe or edit options button"
You do not need a password to unsubscribe, you can do it via email confirmation. If you have trouble unsubscribing, please send a message to the list detailing the problem.

Yes...
While in this instant case the computer is a PC, I have several installations (like 20) that use full DSP on one repeater (node), on a Raspberry Pi3, using DIAL.

There are a few things I do by default to the RPi3:

1: Add the following "fix" DNS.
cd /etc/asterisk
wget https://github.com/N4IRS/AllStar/raw/master/configs/dnsmgr.conf
restart asterisk (or just reboot).

2: Turn off Radio Relax - deselect it in the menu.
Stop asterisk:
service asterisk stop

Verify asterisk is stopped:
ps ax | grep asterisk If you see /usr/sbin/asterisk it is not stopped
killall -9 asterisk

Change compiler setting:
cd /usr/src/astsrc-1.4.23-pre/asterisk
make menuselect
select 10. Compiler Flags
select 6. RADIO_RELAX (use space bar to select or de-select)
x
make
make install
service asterisk start (or just reboot).

3: Add Jeff DePolo's filter code.

I use WinSCP to transfer the files because I don't know any other way to do it.
Download the five required files known to work:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/w3kkc/DIAL/

Stop asterisk - service asterisk stop
Put usbradio.conf in /etc/asterisk (or edit your current file with the added filter code)
Put chan_usbradio.c in /usr/src/astsrc-1.4.23-pre/asterisk/channels
Put xpmr.c, xpmr_coef.h, xpmr.h in /usr/src/astsrc-1.4.23-pre/asterisk/channels/xpmr
make
make install
Start asterisk - service asterisk start (or just reboot).

Hope this helps...
Kevin

···

On 2/16/2017 3:31 AM, Eric EG. Guth wrote:

Thanks, Keven. We have a two meter VXR7000 in Safed that we want to put on to Allstar. We will follow your instructions. Do you think that USBradio will work find with Raspberry Pi3 on this system?

To say that you are a gentleman and a scholar would be stating the obvious. Thank!

Eric Guth
4Z1UG
Allstar: 28422
QSO Today

···

-----Original Message-----
From: App_rpt-users [mailto:app_rpt-users-bounces@lists.allstarlink.org] On Behalf Of Kevin Custer
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 4:14 PM
To: Users of Asterisk app_rpt

On 2/16/2017 3:31 AM, Eric EG. Guth wrote:

Yes...
While in this instant case the computer is a PC, I have several installations (like 20) that use full DSP on one repeater (node), on a Raspberry Pi3, using DIAL.

There are a few things I do by default to the RPi3:

1: Add the following "fix" DNS.
cd /etc/asterisk
wget https://github.com/N4IRS/AllStar/raw/master/configs/dnsmgr.conf
restart asterisk (or just reboot).

2: Turn off Radio Relax - deselect it in the menu.
Stop asterisk:
service asterisk stop

Verify asterisk is stopped:
killall -9 asterisk

Change compiler setting:
make menuselect
select 10. Compiler Flags
select 6. RADIO_RELAX (use space bar to select or de-select)
x
make
make install
service asterisk start (or just reboot).

3: Add Jeff DePolo's filter code.

I use WinSCP to transfer the files because I don't know any other way to do it.
Download the five required files known to work:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/w3kkc/DIAL/

Stop asterisk - service asterisk stop
Put usbradio.conf in /etc/asterisk (or edit your current file with the
added filter code)
Put chan_usbradio.c in /usr/src/astsrc-1.4.23-pre/asterisk/channels
Put xpmr.c, xpmr_coef.h, xpmr.h in
/usr/src/astsrc-1.4.23-pre/asterisk/channels/xpmr
make
make install
Start asterisk - service asterisk start (or just reboot).

Hope this helps...
Kevin

To unsubscribe from this list please visit http://lists.allstarlink.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Enter your email address and press the "Unsubscribe or edit options button"
You do not need a password to unsubscribe, you can do it via email confirmation. If you have trouble unsubscribing, please send a message to the list detailing the problem.

Hello Kevin,

Thanks very much for the info. As to you question, the COR does not work at all on the VXR-7000. It show no

movement with a volt meter. I guess it is bad.

Again, Thanks so much for your help.

Angelo

PS : would love to get your phone number just in case there is any issue I may need to chat with you about.

You have email me at n5uxt AT hotmail.com

···

On 2/15/2017 7:13 PM, Kevin Custer wrote:

All they would have needed to do was set RXBOOST=1 and the radio tune would have calibrated just fine. I'm rather certain I used pin 6 of the DB25 for receive audio to the URI, but we'll see.

Since there's more than one person wanting this information, I *may* go to the site this evening.

Kevin

Pin 1 = shield = GND
Pin 6 = white = DISC OUT
Pin 13 = black = GND
Pin 24 = red = TXD LOW

Pin 1 = orange = PTT
Pin 13 = shield = GND
Pin 19 = black = GND
Pin 21 = white = MIC_AC
Pin 23 = red = RIGHT_OUT

Use the files at www.masterscommunications.com/temp/2302/ as a guide for your ASL configurations.

txmixa=voice
txmixb=no

Hope this helps... Comments or questions welcomed,
Kevin - W3KKC

Along with the multitude of things we are doing to shore up the ASL (AllStarLink) infrastructure, we have started to apply a number of fixes and add some new features to the next version of asterisk used in ASL.

I am not going to try to detail every change, it's moving much too fast for that. If you want to follow the changes, it's time to start learning your way around git. We have moved any new fixes or development away from the SVN to a public repository in git. Everything ASL related is now in <https://github.com/AllStarLink> You do NOT need a git account to look at or even download the code from git.

I am starting to move the repository from my own github account to the ASL repository. There are a number of updates I need to apply to the Debian and DIAL scripts. I will copy the cleaned up code into the ASL/DIAL repository. Stay tuned.

We are using a very CONTROLLED method of development to guarantee each fix and feature is vetted before it makes it way into the master release. One of the many upsides is that you can see the changes as they are applied to the different branches as they make their way towards the master. As members of the development team start committing their work you will see it.

The master branch is as it was plus one hotfix that needed to be applied. You will not see any change there until we are ready for a release. The develop branch is where all the fixes and features will start to appear. it is at <https://github.com/AllStarLink/Asterisk/tree/develop>

The first of those features is something the WANRS <http://www.wanrepeater.net/> people have been asking for. For quite a while I might add. They needed the ability to tailor the receive and transmit audio characteristics of the chan_usbradio channel driver. This feature has been available for quite a while in XIPAR and they felt if they were going to update their existing installations, they had to have that and at least one other feature. Late last summer Mike N4IRR added the feature to a custom version of DIAL that the WAN people have been testing. The testing has been done both on the air and with some very high quality test equipment. We have the thumbs up on it, so it is now in the develop branch.

I'll say this again, you will not see any new feature in the version of asterisk used in ASL, today, tomorrow or next week. I do not have a feature freeze date let alone a release date. There is a TON of work to do. The teams are small (on purpose) and they all have day jobs. But the upside is you will be able to watch the progress.

I want to encourage everyone to do a few things:

1: If you see a question on the list, Answer it. The more people answering questions the better for all.

2: If you have a skill you think can be helpful to the overall project, let me know. Not everyone is a software architect, We need people who can write (unlike me). People that can script (bash). And let's not forget the people that spend quite a bit of time interfacing ASL to repeaters. There are a lot more tasks that can be filled. No, not everyone can contribute, but it's worth a shot.

3: If you have a idea, post it here. I read every message and after a few back and for discussions I may capture the idea and stick it in a log for review and discussion.

For AllStarLink Inc. A non-profit

73, Steve N4IRS

<https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token=OKlwAw5qc4mTekAdIBCG1h6Lg8YEujapKvIkp4eVG_9Qvl-Vv1J89EuB6Dwv9WKeGOlGE0>

Thanks Steve for all you hard work on this.

I am involved with a couple other projects that use git and I find using the issues section to track bugs and feature requests to be very effective. Is using git issues for ASL a viable idea?

Thanks,

Steve

···

On Feb 16, 2017 12:23 PM, “Steve Zingman” szingman@msgstor.com wrote:

Along with the multitude of things we are doing to shore up the ASL (AllStarLink) infrastructure, we have started to apply a number of fixes and add some new features to the next version of asterisk used in ASL.

I am not going to try to detail every change, it’s moving much too fast for that. If you want to follow the changes, it’s time to start learning your way around git. We have moved any new fixes or development away from the SVN to a public repository in git. Everything ASL related is now in <https://github.com/AllStarLink> You do NOT need a git account to look at or even download the code from git.

I am starting to move the repository from my own github account to the ASL repository. There are a number of updates I need to apply to the Debian and DIAL scripts. I will copy the cleaned up code into the ASL/DIAL repository. Stay tuned.

We are using a very CONTROLLED method of development to guarantee each fix and feature is vetted before it makes it way into the master release. One of the many upsides is that you can see the changes as they are applied to the different branches as they make their way towards the master. As members of the development team start committing their work you will see it.

The master branch is as it was plus one hotfix that needed to be applied. You will not see any change there until we are ready for a release. The develop branch is where all the fixes and features will start to appear. it is at <https://github.com/AllStarLink/Asterisk/tree/develop>

The first of those features is something the WANRS <http://www.wanrepeater.net/> people have been asking for. For quite a while I might add. They needed the ability to tailor the receive and transmit audio characteristics of the chan_usbradio channel driver. This feature has been available for quite a while in XIPAR and they felt if they were going to update their existing installations, they had to have that and at least one other feature. Late last summer Mike N4IRR added the feature to a custom version of DIAL that the WAN people have been testing. The testing has been done both on the air and with some very high quality test equipment. We have the thumbs up on it, so it is now in the develop branch.

I’ll say this again, you will not see any new feature in the version of asterisk used in ASL, today, tomorrow or next week. I do not have a feature freeze date let alone a release date. There is a TON of work to do. The teams are small (on purpose) and they all have day jobs. But the upside is you will be able to watch the progress.

I want to encourage everyone to do a few things:

1: If you see a question on the list, Answer it. The more people answering questions the better for all.

2: If you have a skill you think can be helpful to the overall project, let me know. Not everyone is a software architect, We need people who can write (unlike me). People that can script (bash). And let’s not forget the people that spend quite a bit of time interfacing ASL to repeaters. There are a lot more tasks that can be filled. No, not everyone can contribute, but it’s worth a shot.

3: If you have a idea, post it here. I read every message and after a few back and for discussions I may capture the idea and stick it in a log for review and discussion.

For AllStarLink Inc. A non-profit

73, Steve N4IRS

<https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token=OKlwAw5qc4mTekAdIBCG1h6Lg8YEujapKvIkp4eVG_9Qvl-Vv1J89EuB6Dwv9WKeGOlGE0>

App_rpt-users mailing list

App_rpt-users@lists.allstarlink.org

http://lists.allstarlink.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users

To unsubscribe from this list please visit http://lists.allstarlink.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Enter your email address and press the “Unsubscribe or edit options button”

Steve,

Yes, Using the issues section is quite viable. The Dev team will

use it to track issues (redundant?) and link them to branches. I
will be checking the issues section on a regular basis to try to
take some of the load off the Dev team. Thanks for bringing this
up. Mike and I were discussing it on our daily conference call
while I drive home from work. :wink:

73, Steve N4IRS

···

On 02/16/2017 04:33 PM, Steve Passmore
wrote:

Thanks Steve for all you hard work on this.

I am involved with a couple other projects that

use git and I find using the issues section to track bugs and
feature requests to be very effective. Is using git issues
for ASL a viable idea?

Thanks,

Steve

Old thread, but trying to wire up VXR-7000 to URIxB… I tried all of these pin connections and only way I got to listen to the PI saying node ### connected was if I pressed the PTT on the mic. For some reason it’s not keying up on it’s own? Could you let me know how you programmed the repeater?

EDIT. I forgot to press REMOTE which made it “work” one way, but not the other way repeater->URIxB no red led…

The repeater was programmed to simply be a duplex radio - no more - no less. On the repeater - what happens when PIN 12 of the DB25 is grounded? Does the repeater transmit? If not - the repeater is not programmed correctly to use an external PTT. If the repeater does transmit with Pin 12 grounded - does the RED LED on the URI illuminate when you’d expect the software is commanding the URI to transmit? If no - something it wrong with the ASL configuration or the URI is defective.

Kevin W3KKC

Can I use a URIxB? I saw a post that it said I can’t use the URIxB?

I got the URIxB to send audio to repeater, so I can hear when connected or disconnected from the net and I can hear traffic, but my repeater does not activate the URIxB mic (can’t get audio out from repeater)

Is there a way to program repeater or URIxB to be able to use pin22 (RXD LOW) like how TXD LOW on repeater worked for pin LEFT_OUT on URIxB?

Do you have an example screenshot of the CE27 setup screen for the repeater? And any other setting I need to change on the repeater?

EDIT:
No COR from VXR, here is a link on how to wire up signal to pin 10

https://repeater-builder.com/yvs/vxr-7000-cor.html

The context of the original question in 2019 was using a URI (not xB) with a Vertex VXR-7000 and the usbradio channel driver. Because of a multitude of reasons, I don’t recommend any interface that has a CM119B to be used with usbradio. The URI and URIx both used the CM119 (no suffix) or a CM119A, which are significantly different when used with app_rpt. The CM119 and CM119A works fine with either usbradio or simpleusb - the “B” not so much…

I don’t have an example of the repeaters programming, and even if I did your exact programming may need to be different because of using simpleusb. The examples shown are considering the use of the usbradio channel driver - - I don’t need any CTCSS tones or logic where you may.

The repeater basically needs to supply COS and follow an external PTT. You never answered my question about the PTT. And - If you’re not getting COS - you’ll need to fix that, as it’s necessary for simpleusb or you won’t have any receive audio.

Kevin

Ok so to answer your question, when I key in I don’t get the red LED light to turn on. I do get it when I connect or disconnect from nodes/hubs or when the URI receives a transmission it is transmitted. When I transmit to repeater it is not turning on or transmitting to Pi/ASL

The RED LED on what doesn’t turn on? The one of the URI - or the one on the repeater? Neither one?

And you don’t get a transmission when you key what? In your original post, you referred to the MIC on the repeater. Is that what you mean, or do you mean a different radio, HT or ???

Please don’t assume that we know what you mean. Remember - we’re not there with you watching / listening to what’s happening, so you need to construct your responses to eliminate any ambiguity. None of us can help you if you don’t explain what’s going on in detail and in context. I could assume what you mean - but if I’m wrong, I’m wasting time for the both of us.

Kevin W3KKC

Did you get the URIxB working with the VXR-7000? If so, can you share your configuration? I’m starting this journey now.

Jim K0JNR