Update Broke Node

Hello,

I’m running a ASL3 cloud node that was working great until I updated it this evening using the usual update/upgrade. The update when fine, but now I am regularly disconnected when I connect to the node, and when the node is connected to other nodes, the audio is no longer “repeated” to my local node.

Another user had this problem, but the answer was to reinstall everything. Any ideas before I do that? Any ideas what the update might have broken? It actually broke 3 of my nodes in the same manner.

Thanks,

Bryan

Can you check to see if “asterisk”’ has been crashing. For example, does the PID change after node connects/disconnects? Are there any log messages that would indicate the process crashed and a core file was generated?

If you need help gathering logs: Basic Troubleshooting Tips - AllStarLink Manual

So I did a deep dive this morning, and at the least, it appears as though the iax.conf files got pretty messed up. The register was missing and all sorts of CODECs were uncommented that weren’t previously.

The other thing I noticed is that the update node list service broke on every node. I had to reinstall it. So something crazy definitely happened with the update.

It appears that everything is somewhat working again, but I’m not 100% sure quite yet. Will update as I look through a few more things today.

How did you apply the updates? It sounds like you tried to merge configs during the update rather than “retain my config”.

I used apt update/upgrade. Selected N when it asked what to do with the config file. It only asked me for one file. I don’t remember if iax.conf was the file, but I definitely hit N.

That’s very weird and unexpected. If it happens again, please grab a copy of the files it mangled and send them to me so I and try to untangle what happened.

Indeed. I will definitely keep you informed if it happens again, and grab the files.

So some other weirdness…when I restored the iax.conf file from my backup, asterisk refused to start. So I restored the new version that was installed with the update, and that’s when I went through it and changed the CODECs and register. Asterisk loaded after that. Whatever else updated, it looks like it wouldn’t even have worked with the old iax.conf.

Looking at the dates in the asterisk directory, iax.conf is the only file in the asterisk directory that was changed, along with possibly manager.d directory that was not in my backup. And as I mentioned, the node list update service completely broke and needed to be reinstalled.