Unable to re-open DSP device 0: No such file or directory

Hi All,

I am trying to integrate URI-B with Asterisk-16.9 on Centos 8.
I have tried with Integrating URI using both chan_usbradio as well as chan_simpleusb.
In both cases the source code available was compatible with Asterisk 1.4. However, i have made the necessary changes in the source code and i am able to load both chan_usbradio and chan_simpleusb module in asterisk 16.9 version.
After that i created a node in rpt.conf and added the usb channel as mentioned below
rxchannel = SimpleUSB/usb_1999 (in case of simpleusb channel)

but asterisk is crashing after it load app_rpt application after giving the following error:
“chan_simpleusb.c:2148 setformat: Unable to re-open DSP device 0 (usb_1999): No such file or directory”
After analyzing i have found that channel is looking for /dev/dsp device which is not present in my system.
OSS is the package which is responsible for creating /dev/dsp devices, but it is deprecated in the latest linux kernels. I have also installed alsa-oss package but unable to get /dev/dsp.

PFB the output of sound drivers loaded:

lsmod | grep snd

snd_hda_codec_realtek 122880 1
snd_hda_codec_generic 86016 1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
ledtrig_audio 16384 2 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_codec_hdmi 69632 1
snd_usb_audio 294912 8
snd_hda_intel 49152 12
snd_intel_dspcfg 24576 1 snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_codec 151552 4 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_usbmidi_lib 36864 1 snd_usb_audio
snd_hda_core 98304 5 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_rawmidi 40960 1 snd_usbmidi_lib
snd_hwdep 16384 2 snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec
snd_seq 81920 0
snd_seq_device 16384 2 snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
snd_pcm 118784 6 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_core
snd_timer 40960 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd 94208 52 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_intel,snd_usb_audio,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi
soundcore 16384 1 snd

Pls suggest the possible solution to solve.

Do you have any other URIs on the system or is this the primary radio interface?

Dear Rob,

Currently we have single URI in the system which is acting as a primary radio interface.

Thanks & Regards,
Rahul Juneja

···

From: Rob V via AllStarLink Discussion Groups [mailto:noreply@community.allstarlink.org]
Sent: 18 January 2021 14:15
To: Rahul Juneja rahuljuneja@tataadvancedsystems.com
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] Unable to re-open DSP device 0: No such file or directory

KK9ROB ASL Admin
January 18

Do you have any other URIs on the system or is this the primary radio interface?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Rahul -

I see that you’re using Asterisk 16. Are you using an ASL or HamVoIP distribution?

Hi Rob,

we have downloaded asterisk directly from asterisk.org. However, chan_usbradio.c and chan_simpleusb.c from ASL.

Regards,
Rahul Juneja

Rahul –

While I don’t discourage you from trying, you’re attempting something entirely unsupported. chan_usbradio and chan_simpleusb have both been heavily modified to work with a heavily modified version of app_rpt.

Simply put, they will not work with Asterisk 16, unfortunately. The current version of AllStarLink is operating off of APIs from Asterisk 1.4. We’re working on getting app_rpt to work on a newer Asterisk API, but we’re far away from that at this moment.

Unless you install the official ASL distribution or other variants, you won’t be able to use those channel drivers.