TS-2000 Remote Base

Howdy…

I am looking to hook up a TS-2000 as a remote base on my repeater, I have found topics ranging from how to control the radio itself, so I have that part covered, however I haven’t been able to find instructions on how to hook up PTT, audio, etc. Curious if anyone has info they can share…

Thanks!

Jim, K6JWN

It would depend on preference and the hardware you may have.
If a PC, I would advise a parallel port and usb fob for audio.
Pi, you will need to buy a uri or make/hack one from a cm108 etc… see wiki

Jim, I agree with Mike…better to use a PC CM108/119 fob for audio and parallel port for COS/PTT. But in addition, Allstar Asterisk (app_rpt) doesn’t support any Kenwood HF radios. Here’s a list of what rigs are covered in the Allstar Asterisk code:

ft950
ft897/857
ft100(works on ft900)
kenwood (never sure which kenwood but appears VHF/UHF only)
tm271
tmd700
ic706
There are a few other rig type supported but those are somewhat limited use.

The other group, HamVoip seems to have removed this code from their distro and in its place uses hamlib to control many different rigs. While hamlib does work well on its own, getting asterisk to talk to it is a cluster cluck. Not easy to set up. It does, however, control a TS2000. I have tried and added hamlib ti Allstar Asterisk but did not like the functionality or lack thereof. But then again I was controlling a FT900 and the code in app_rpt has FT-100 in it and that will do most commands for the FT900 so I stayed with the legacy code.

I tried to find the how-to for using hamlib with asterisk but can’t find it. I too would like to use my TS-480 for a remote but I just don’t like the hamlib part.

Good luck. Having a HF remote is super slick. Mine’s off being re-configured with syllabic-squelch for COS so I can have it sitting on a frequency and only open when someone speaks.

GeorgeC W2DB 2360 28599

I don’t have the time this eve to look it up…
But I do think Kenwood ts-440/450 is supported.
The controlling output is ascii and may work for simple control if newer radios are on the same basic system. I doubt kenwood would ever change the basic command set as well as any other manufacturer.
So you should be able to change freq,mode etc. Just don’t try anything fancy. If it is a feature that would not be present on a ts440 than I doubt you would have control of it.

If you try it, let us know how it works out.
I ‘THINK’ the setting is " kenwood " for radio. I also believe it to be more universal than any of the others. But I can’t say that I have tried it myself in app_rpt. But I have written control programs for them in the 90’s.

Hello Jim,

I have a TS-2000 connected to my Allstar server as a remote base node. My goal was to have a node that anybody on Allstar could connect to, with any supported terminal that does DTMF, and use it to talk out on any radio that is supported by Hamlib, on any band or mode that it can do. The frequency and mode is controlled by preset DTMF codes. I use a second URIx interface to interface TX and RX audio, and Allstar system generated PTT to my TS-2000.

You also need to connect the a serial port from the RPi to the TS-2000, to receive Hamlib rigctld commands.

Then I added up and down statements to the rpt.conf for the TS-2000 node, configured as a remote base. The rpt.conf file has a DTMF function that allows you to send commands to a small java app (referenced in extensions.conf), that I wrote, which converts DTMF sequences decoded by app-rpt to rigctld calls over the loopback interface in the RPi. Rigctld then takes the codes I send it from my java app and becomes an interface to control the TS-2000 settings. This will work with any of the hundreds of rigs that are supported by Hamlib rigctld.

So, to make it work, you go onto my primary node, which is a Motorola UHF FM radio node, and issue a #62. Or you could do it through any other terminal that connects to Allstar, such as an iPhone or a laptop or tablet. #62 takes the TS-2000 off hook. Then you send a 10 digit sequence of DTMF tones to set the frequency, and another sequence to set the mode. There are several other commands as well.

The only thing that is non-standard in my configuration is my small Java app that gets passed DTMF digits and converts them to rigctld calls through the shell interface.

It has been a few years since I developed this app, so I will resurrect the source code and see if I cant come up with some documentation.

73’
John N1CTF