Truncated connect message (announcement telemetry)

I am working with the ASL Live Build and find that when connecting to my other node (HamVOIP) that the ASL node connection announcement consists of two beeps, a fairly long pause and then only the node names/numbers, no other words are played.

It appears all of the vocabulary words are present under /var/lib/asterisk/sounds so the lack of a coherent announcement is strange to me.

Can you say exactly what is being played. letters/numbers/words

Don’t have a clue unless I know what is being said.

ASL repeater: W0DOD
HamVOIP repeater: N0NB

When I issue a connect command from the ASL repeater either via DTMF, Allmon3, or a crontab entry the response issued on the ASL repeater is the same:

two beeps, two seconds of silence, “N0NB W0DOD”

Issuing a disconnect command is similar:

two beeps, two seconds of silence, “N0NB DISCONNECTED”

On the HamVOIP repeater the announcement sequence is:

two beeps, maybe a second of silence, “W0DOD CONNECTED TO N0NB”

On the ASL repeater connecting from HamVOIP the announcement is:

two beeps, two seconds of silence, “W0DOD N0NB”

When disconnected from the HamVOIP repeater the ASL announcement is:

two beeps, two seconds of silence, “N0NB DISCONNECTED”

As I have the proper sound files under /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/rpt/nodenames, the callsigns are spoken rather than the node numbers.

Is that from an echolink connection or a asl network connection ?

I would say to check the ownerhip and permissions of said missing audio files in

/usr/lib/asterisk/sounds/…

Even try to play them manually if you know how, to be sure they are not somehow corrupted.

ASL, I don’t have Echolink enabled on this Pi yet.

There is no directory sounds under /usr/lib/asterisk. All of the sound files are under /var/lib/asterisk/sounds. When I try to play one as in:

/usr/sbin/asterisk -rx "rpt localplay 519321 /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/rpt/connected.gsm"

All I get is silence. I can copy the file to my desktop and it plays just fine so I’m reasonably sure that file is not corrupted. I get the same result from any other file.

The directory and file permissions look okay to me:

drwxr-xr-x 12 asterisk asterisk 12288 Feb  5 14:05 sounds/
drwxr-xr-x 3 asterisk asterisk   4096 Feb  5 14:05 rpt/
-rw-r--r-- 1 root     root      1320 Jan 22  2018 connected.gsm

These permissions and owners are “out of the box” from a recent image generated by the ASL Live Build. I did not change the ownership and group values.

This will not play under asterisk
The owner/group should be asterisk/asterisk - it is set as root/root so asterisk has not authority.

You should do a web search to look for the command to change ownership recursively in the whole (sub)directories of

/var/lib/asterisk/sounds

to asterisk:asterisk

Fair enough, I will try that and report back.

As the ownership and group are root “out of the box”, it seems this is a bug in the ASL Live Build. I don’t recall seeing any errors but it was several weeks ago when I generated the image.

I ran the chown -R command and verified file ownership and group. Then I recalled that the extension cannot be a part of the command and then it played. D’oh!

Trying the connect again the result was the same. I should’ve done this first, but I checked the journalctl log and see this:

Feb 28 19:34:15 w0dod-asl asterisk[13413]: [Feb 28 19:34:15] WARNING[13532]: file.c:602 ast_openstream_full: File rpt/connected-to does not exist in any format
Feb 28 19:34:15 w0dod-asl asterisk[13413]: [Feb 28 19:34:15] WARNING[13532]: file.c:912 ast_streamfile: Unable to open rpt/connected-to (format 0x44 (ulaw|slin)): No such file or directory
Feb 28 19:34:15 w0dod-asl asterisk[13413]: [Feb 28 19:34:15] WARNING[13532]: app_rpt.c:8930 handle_varcmd_tele: ast_streamfile failed on DAHDI/pseudo-1647044142

I don’t find a “connected-to” file on HamVOIP either.

The extension can be part of the file. But if it is known formats, it does not have to be specified.
If you have multiples formats with the same name, you might want to specify which you want.

I believe it is ‘connected.ulaw’ & ‘/digits/2.ulaw’ with official asl releases.

Looking at the ASL-Asterisk repository and using git grep "connected-to" it returns:

asterisk/apps/app_rpt.c:8926:               res = ast_streamfile(mychannel, "rpt/connected-to", mychannel->language);
asterisk/apps/app_rpt.c:9925:               res = ast_streamfile(mychannel, "rpt/connected-to", mychannel->language);

A bit more digging shows that this commit from 22 Apr 2023 changed the files you show to a new file of “connected-to” which is in the repository but was not copied to the image during the build.

Manually copying the connected-to.gsm from my local Git repository of ASL-Asterisk to the ASL computer results in:

two beeps, two seconds of silence, “N0NB CONNECTED TO W0DOD”

which is a big improvement.

I’ll poke around in the ASL-Asterisk repository and see if I can find where it failed to copy that file and patch it and submit a pull request.

Thanks, Mike.

It is likely that a late build reflects a upcoming change that has been requested by folks in other languages that had a difference in English meaning.
For we used /digits/2
And in other languages “to” and “2” are not the same aurally and was a complaint in non-English countries some time ago because we used the digit for the word and this could not be fixed by just re-recording the files or would have changed the digit 2 to a word of other meaning…

So, likely in preparation of a future release to resolve the issue.

Note to all, that a ‘latest build’ is a beta in progress and may have many errors.
It goes with the territory as it moves forward in fixes and enhancements for testing.

It looks like the issue is that the asl-asterisk-sounds-main package that ASL-Live-Build downloads needs to be rebuilt as the /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/rpt directory is dated Dec 31 2022 which is prior to the the merge of the patch that looks for the connected-to sound file.

As the ASL repository is private, I can only open an issue in the ASL-Asterisk repository and hope someone acts on it as it appears no one has been handling issues and pull requests for some time. I’d even volunteer some help if I knew who to contact.

Or you could use the method everyone else is having success with until a new release is published…

which uses this git