Tell me briefly about AllStarLink.

I am interested in VoIP. In Japan, D-STAR, Wires and Echolink are popular. Earlier I communicated with a UK person on Ecolink. He recommended me AllStarLink. I was interested in seeing the ASL site. I have made IP-PBX with Asterisk. So I became more interested in learning that ASL uses Asterisk.
Please tell me what ASL says. I read ASL introduction articles and watched YouTube. But what can you do with ASL a bit easier? What is the difference between ASL and other VoIP? Then tell us what you need to start ASL. I hope to spread ASL in Japan if possible.

For my use the most important features of AllStar are:

• It has the best sounding audio of any VoIP system bar none.
  • AllStar is a complete, full-featured, open-source, no cost repeater controller.
  • Networking is the most versatile. Nailed-up or ad hoc, public or private; you choose. Every node can be a conference bridge.

And more… https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Features

ASL is just awesome. And, it just kinda -works-.

Of all the Radio over Internet modes - ASL has proven to be the most reliable, even compared to DMR systems.

Because ASL is natively ad-hoc, there are not any server issues to contend with.

I have a good friend that is fooling around with DMR and all the other digital modes. We talk over ASL when that junk isn’t working.

Lest I mention, the audio of a properly audio adjusted ASL node sounds as if you were talking full quieting simplex. Sure beats the listening fatigue of DMR or any other Dr. Roboto sounding modes.

Finally, once the node is working as you see fit, there is no messing with it. It just keeps working. Unless you are using a RPi, then you will experience all kinds of oddities.

I use an older laptop for 28569. It works until I do something stupid and break it. I try not to do that, haha.