Suggestion: Onboarding new AllStar users

Hi Folks,

For folks that are new to AllStar, who are standing up a new personal simplex node - would it be possible to simplify the setup process here at AllStarLink.org ? Perhaps a simple questionnaire that collected the mandatory information and then did the rest of the work - setup the Server with defaults plus user input, then file the request for that server for a new node number ?

This would be a one time use process for new users - subsequent node #s would require them to more fully understand the whole picture.

For the uninitiated, the structure/schema is a little anti-intuitive - completing the first set of records for them would then function as a “template” that they could follow for any subsequent nodes.

There’s an argument that the new user should follow the learning curve simply for its educational value - but I tend to find that this argument falls on deaf ears.

Such an approach might also reduce the Support burden on your good selves ?

Some thoughts …

Best,
Gerry.
W6WNG

2 Likes

Lots of good suggestions! Thank you. @wd6awp Tim and I discussed this and we agree. We’ll see what we can put in the pipeline.

Cheers,
Rob

Awesome ! HMU if I can help in any way … maybe I could sketch it out from outsider’s perspective ?

Best,
Gerry.

One consideration that could be helpful would be to distinguish setting up a radioless node vs radio repeater type node. In the case of radioless, lots of the fields in the portal don’t really make sense, so this could help simplify the onboarding for new users.

1 Like

I private messaged you about getting in touch. Let’s set up a phone call.

Foooooor sure. There are around 100 legacy fields out there that are completed unused and we’ll be eliminating them soon. In almost 90% of the nodes people setup, the fields that we DO use aren’t relevant, so maybe we can make it a little less daunting for new users.

what would be nice is a phone number to call for help in ordering all star

We don’t directly sell nodes, but many in the community have created their own projects for getting a node.

There are many others out there I’m sure but these are the only two I’m familiar with at the moment.

Masters Communication URI
http://www.masterscommunications.com/products/radio-adapter/ra42.html
Gerry W6WNG’s ClearNode

Or you can DIY a node with a CM108/CM119 sound card if you’re skilled at soldering. Lastly, you can build a radioless node with a Raspberry PI or PC and connect to it via iaxRpt, Zoiper, or Transceive on macOS.

Cheers,
Rob

These are all great suggestions. We are looking for a volunteer web designer. We can add to the wish list a section for vendors to post the hardware they sell.

Also … great projects if you want to turn the wrench yourself … or inspire a loved one to explore …

https://hamprojects.info/shari/

Best,
Gerry.
W6WNG

Ordering??? What’s to order…??

Radio interfaces :slight_smile:

He said “when ordering Allstar “ again, what’s to order?

Maybe he’s referring to purchasing a pre-made node? Not sure.