Stopping telemetry flowing to other nodes

I want to be able to execute a macro to connect say 5 nodes (or a control state to do the same, along with other things) whereby the first node connected doesn’t get the telemetry for the subsequent four connections. I know I can suppress local telemetry with a cop command, but I want to avoid sending a stream of announcements to other nodes, temporarily.

Thx.

Hi Adrian,

Just add the cop 34 to the [functions] on each node; so, it is available. Then either make each node have telemetry off with it’s startup script, -OR- send a remote command to (each) node to shut telemetry off (with pre-added cop 34), do your connects, then send a remote command to turn on telemetry (with a pre-added cop 35 or cop 33). If you can just leave telemetry off on those nodes, it’s easier.

Tom

···

From: Adrian VE7NZ via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 6:38 PM
To: tom@k5tra.net
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] Stopping telemetry flowing to other nodes

|

VE7NZ
November 25

|

• | - |

I want to be able to execute a macro to connect say 5 nodes (or a control state to do the same, along with other things) whereby the first node connected doesn’t get the telemetry for the subsequent four connections. I know I can suppress local telemetry with a cop command, but I want to avoid sending a stream of announcements to other nodes, temporarily.

Thx.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

=cop,33 ; Local Telemetry Output Enable
=cop,34 ; Local Telemetry Output Disable
=cop,35 ; Local Telemetry Output on demand
=cop,36 ; Foreign Link Local Output Path Enable
=cop,37 ; Foreign Link Local Output Path Disable
=cop,38 ; Foreign Link Local Output Path Follows Local Telemetry Selection (above)
=cop,39 ; Foreign Link Local Output Path Timed

Telemetry data is sent to all connected nodes in general.
You must decide to accept and announce it or not. per node

Thanks Tom, with coordination with the other node operators this makes perfect sense. What if they are less accessible? It’s an extreme example but I spoke to a node operator who was happy to have me connect to his node but said he has no access to the node any more - it’s in a distant location and the remote login credentials are lost “when it dies, that will be it” he said. So I was hoping I could block outbound telemetry through a command.

Thx Mike. I was hoping there was a way to turn off sending it to connected nodes, temporarily - while a set of commands are executed.

As a tangental comment, I did have a control state setting on one of my nodes that started with cop,34 and ended with cop,33, to stop a huge local telemetry output, but I found the cop,33 never worked and all telemetry thereever after never worked until i restarted the process. Having said that, I am only 50% confident that this wasn’t an oversight on my part, I have been known to fat finger things.

Well,
33 & 34 turn on /off local generated telemetry, so, the foreign telemetry would still be there.
Unless you set 38, it would follow what you do with local.
The timed method, if i remember right, is about 2 min of telemetry after a command is issued.

The concept for passing all telemetry is actually a sound concept. Although many years ago, I did not agree. But after finding the benefit of writing scripts based on what was going on when someone connected to me and what and who those connections contained.

Keep in mind it was only in the last 4-8 years ? or so that we had connection loop blocking built in.
It was a problem. It can be the only method to probe those connecting to you or someone connecting you to who knows what.

The more crowded our networks get, the greater the benefit potential.
If you give the ability to block this sharing, you invite mischief.
I think I remember ‘the dude’ giving quite a seminar to someone challenging the idea.

I’m not getting any function complete for cop 36 through 38. I did define a dtmf sequence for each. Cop 33-35 work as expected. Do these really work? Is there a better description of the use of these cop commands? I’ve looked at the source but really no other definitions or use case description.

Thanks
Mike/W5JR