Stop transmitting to connected nodes when DTMF is entered

When entering DTMF commands on the radio all connected modes hear a “silent” transmission. This is often a nuisance to other users. The actual DTMF tones are no passed through.
Would it be possible to temporarily stop transmitting to all connected nodes as soon as * is received from the radio?

This seems like such a good idea that there must be a reason why it’s not already implemented, but I don’t know what that reason is. Watching with interest.

Well, even better would be a configurable start delay (perhaps 1 sec as default) and if a * is received within that delay the connected notes would not be keyed at all.
That would make life for us who use DTMF extensively to control the nodes a lot easier.

First as a direct answer to your last statement of a 1sec start delay…
Sometimes latency of the network can cause delays over 2 seconds, depending on the exact path and where you are in that path. Adding anymore latency to that for all paths is quite messy for some at the far end of connection paths. Think internet latency.
We can’t get users to pause 1 second before talking as it is.

To the first question, there is no setting I know of that will preform that shutdown of remote tx on links when a dtmf is herd. The entire network has never had a issue with it. But I understand if you came from a hard wired controller system where this was the norm. There is rx only/monitor mode. *2xxxxx or *20 to switch if the last node connected in tx. *30 will switch it back to TX.
There are also networks of hardwired controllers in the system with a single parallel allstarlink connection.
And then you have the case where a single node who does not have his audio adjusted correctly could shutdown a entire network of connected stations with one dtmf that makes it through or even falsed.
Something to think on.

While the software is not perfect, it has been run through some very complex scenario’s for more than a decade and a half by 10’s of thousands of users. In the beginning, it was primarily a repeater controller and voter system. It’s only been in the last 4-5 years that the primary user was a personal station.

Protection of network integrity is primary for all users. If you like that the networks work well… there is sometimes a price for that. All I am reminding you of is that it is not always as simple as your macro issue.