simplex vs duplex for a home node

Please excuse my ignorance on this. But one of the advantages of Allstar over say IRLP is the ability to operate full-duplex. My understanding on this is limited. But apparently full-duplex is not possible without setting up a repeater.

Since many folks seem to setup nodes in their residences… is it common for them to have repeater setups that allow them full-duplex operation at home? Is there a relatively cheap/easy way to do this?

Any tips are very appreciated. :slight_smile:

The easiest way would be a cross band repeater, have it transmit on uhf, and receive on vhf or vice versa.

Then use the baofeng radio to transmit to your node, they are cheap and they can transmit on a different band then they receive on.

What you will need:

Uhf radio

Vhf radio

UHF antenna
VHF antenna

Urix

Computer

If you have a dual band antenna: a diplexer

Radio to talk to it

···

On Saturday, January 17, 2015, Elden Fenison w7ldn@w7ldn.com wrote:

Please excuse my ignorance on this. But one of the advantages of Allstar over say IRLP is the ability to operate full-duplex. My understanding on this is limited. But apparently full-duplex is not possible without setting up a repeater.

Since many folks seem to setup nodes in their residences… is it common for them to have repeater setups that allow them full-duplex operation at home? Is there a relatively cheap/easy way to do this?

Skyler Fennell
amsatnet.info

KDØWHB

electricity440@gmail.com

I have a Yaesu FT-8800. It can do two bands at once. Maybe I just need the right cable between it an my URI?

···

On Sat Jan 17 2015 at 12:26:34 PM Skyler F electricity440@gmail.com wrote:

The easiest way would be a cross band repeater, have it transmit on uhf, and receive on vhf or vice versa.

Then use the baofeng radio to transmit to your node, they are cheap and they can transmit on a different band then they receive on.

What you will need:

Uhf radio

Vhf radio

UHF antenna
VHF antenna

Urix

Computer

If you have a dual band antenna: a diplexer

Radio to talk to it

On Saturday, January 17, 2015, Elden Fenison w7ldn@w7ldn.com wrote:

Skyler Fennell
amsatnet.info

KDØWHB

electricity440@gmail.com

That doesn't give you *full* duplex, though - because the Baofeng
won't receive while it's transmitting. You could do it with a separate
receiver (i.e. total of four radios)... but what's the point? So
someone can interrupt you if you get too long-winded???

I'm not sure what problem Elden is trying to solve (if any). The main
reason for a repeater vs. a simplex node would be if you need to
service multiple radio users in the local area, and they are not all
within range of eachother (but are all within range of the node site).
If you only have a simplex node in that case, the radio users would
not be able to hear eachother - they'd only hear the remote users via
the node/link. If the node is in your garage, and for your personal
use, you probably don't have that problem.

~iain / N6ML

···

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 12:26 PM, Skyler F <electricity440@gmail.com> wrote:

The easiest way would be a cross band repeater, have it transmit on uhf, and
receive on vhf or vice versa.

Then use the baofeng radio to transmit to your node, they are cheap and they
can transmit on a different band then they receive on.

I mean to use the baofeng for the radio that you are talking on your node with, and use two seperate radios, or a full duplex cross band radio for the node, that way, if someone is doubling with you, your transmission will still get though and not get stomped on by the node

···

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 2:37 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML ar@dseven.org wrote:

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 12:26 PM, Skyler F electricity440@gmail.com wrote:

That doesn’t give you full duplex, though - because the Baofeng

won’t receive while it’s transmitting. You could do it with a separate

receiver (i.e. total of four radios)… but what’s the point? So

I’m not sure what problem Elden is trying to solve (if any). The main

not be able to hear eachother - they’d only hear the remote users via

use, you probably don’t have that problem.

~iain / N6ML

Skyler Fennell
amsatnet.info

KDØWHB

electricity440@gmail.com

Iain, you make a good point. In my situation, it’s probably not worth doing. It is kind of nice to know if you’re doubling with someone however. But yeah, even if I have a dual-receive node radio… my HT or whatever would also have to be capable of being able to listen and transmit at the same time. I was just curious how people do it. It sounds like I would need a repeater for the node and of some kind of dual-receive radio to talk to it on that can receive while it’s transmitting. That sounds way too spendy just to avoid doubling.

···

On Sat Jan 17 2015 at 1:37:54 PM iain macdonnell - N6ML ar@dseven.org wrote:

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 12:26 PM, Skyler F electricity440@gmail.com wrote:

That doesn’t give you full duplex, though - because the Baofeng

won’t receive while it’s transmitting. You could do it with a separate

receiver (i.e. total of four radios)… but what’s the point? So

I’m not sure what problem Elden is trying to solve (if any). The main

not be able to hear eachother - they’d only hear the remote users via

use, you probably don’t have that problem.

~iain / N6ML

Both are done. I’ve had both at the house, just depends on how much effort you want to put into it. Right now, as there is nobody local I need to communicate with it runs as a simplex node, though on a repeater pair, listens 446.xxx and transmits 441.xxx. Probably confusing to anyone listening to it, but not an issue. I usually have a connection to a couple of repeaters in another state. But at another home I have a true simplex node on 446.000. When I get a wide area system back up it won’t be simplex.

I also have my node function with telemetry tones and hang time. So I know when I’m connected and when I’m disconnects.

Now full duplex is neat. I used to have a duplex Micor in my car back in the 70’s. Very slick.

George J Csahanin
W2DB 2360
Cedar Park, TX

···

Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2015 1:19 PM

To: App_rpt-users@ohnosec.org

Subject: [App_rpt-users] simplex vs duplex for a home node

More then one way to use full duplex - depending on the situation, if you are not in one location/at your node all the time, get an extra Baofeng ~$30
or as I usually do setup a sound fob ~$10 and make it a private node # say 1010 for example and connect it *2(yournode) or permanent connect - and listen via speaker or headphones wired or wireless depending on how far you need to go.

I started out with an autopatch/repeater back ~15 years ago… finally ended up building a 440 Repeater, I still use a simplex radio icom 207 and just monitor it with my private node via soundfob - easy/cheap! Also a great way to listen to Allstar and save your HT’s battery if your just sitting at home anyway.

Can also duplex using a VOIP app on a computer/smart phone/tablet like ‘zoiper’ as an example… to monitor the audio of the node! I do this at times using wifi or 3G/4G.

Just have to configure your asterisk to accept incoming connection from the other device, rather trivial.

···

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 2:57 PM, George Csahanin george@dyb.com wrote:

Both are done. I’ve had both at the house, just depends on how much effort you want to put into it. Right now, as there is nobody local I need to communicate with it runs as a simplex node, though on a repeater pair, listens 446.xxx and transmits 441.xxx. Probably confusing to anyone listening to it, but not an issue. I usually have a connection to a couple of repeaters in another state. But at another home I have a true simplex node on 446.000. When I get a wide area system back up it won’t be simplex.

I also have my node function with telemetry tones and hang time. So I know when I’m connected and when I’m disconnects.

Now full duplex is neat. I used to have a duplex Micor in my car back in the 70’s. Very slick.

George J Csahanin
W2DB 2360
Cedar Park, TX

Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2015 1:19 PM

App_rpt-users mailing list

App_rpt-users@ohnosec.org

http://ohnosec.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users

To unsubscribe from this list please visit http://ohnosec.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Enter your email address and press the “Unsubscribe or edit options button”

You do not need a password to unsubscribe, you can do it via email confirmation. If you have trouble unsubscribing, please send a message to the list detailing the problem.

“Got Root?”

How many software engineers does it take to change a light bulb?

None. It’s a hardware problem.

Unix is user friendly. It’s just very particular about who it’s friends are.

WINDOWS: Will Install Needless Data On Whole System

MICROSOFT: Most Intelligent Customers Realize Our Software Only Fools Teenagers.

A ntennas
P oorly
P laced
L acks
E ngineering

The best way to accelerate a computer running Windows is at 9.81 m/s².

“I get paid to support Windows, I use Linux to get work done.”

The main reason to use full duplex is to have the capability to command your node while another station is transmitting. In half duplex you have to wait for a clear channel. The real feature of full duplex (being able to talk like you are on the phone) would only be achieved if you had completely full duplex systems at both ends including the user transceiver. This could be achieved without radios using iaxrpt at both ends.
You could use two cheap radios, one RX and the other TX for full duplex. You would either need enough antenna separation or use a small duplexor with one antenna.
To see my simple repeater using the SA818 modules see -
http://crompton.com/hamradio/818_transceiver_module/
Or the link on hamvoip.org
You could use any two radios, mix or match, to achieve the same result.
Remember to set duplex=2 in rpt.conf if you are using it as a repeater full duplex.
73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio

···

Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 19:19:03 +0000

To unsubscribe from this list please visit http://ohnosec.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Enter your email address and press the “Unsubscribe or edit options button”
You do not need a password to unsubscribe, you can do it via email confirmation. If you have trouble unsubscribing, please send a message to the list detailing the problem.

If this list were one of those forums where you vote for the best answer, this answer would get my vote.

···

Tim
:wq

On Jan 17, 2015, at 5:36 PM, Doug Crompton doug@crompton.com wrote:

The main reason to use full duplex is to have the capability to command your node while another station is transmitting. In half duplex you have to wait for a clear channel.

Good deal Tim. Since I my node is for my use when I’m at home, that is not really a need. If I really must drop a connection, simply restarting asterisk works nicely. :slight_smile:

···

On Sat Jan 17 2015 at 8:44:14 PM Tim Sawyer tim.sawyer@mac.com wrote:

If this list were one of those forums where you vote for the best answer, this answer would get my vote.

Tim
:wq

On Jan 17, 2015, at 5:36 PM, Doug Crompton doug@crompton.com wrote:

The main reason to use full duplex is to have the capability to command your node while another station is transmitting. In half duplex you have to wait for a clear channel.

Thanks for the info Doug. That strange whooshing sound you may have heard a little while after you sent this was most of that info flying right over my head. I’m afraid I don’t have the level of electronics knowledge to tackle most DIY projects. I even paid for my URI cable (that should tell you something).

But great info! My take-away on all this is that I would need essentially four radios and two URIs. I would need two of the radios to interface to the node via the URIs. And then two radios (HTs possibly) to be able to transmit to one of those, and receive from the other at the same time. This seems like a huge hassle. Although I could probably use cheap chinese HTs for all four. I did see a like on your site that showed soundcard FOBs with HT connectors.

That assumes I want to do this using RF. Dialing my node and operating via telephone or hanging a speaker off of a soundcard FOB sound like a few other ways. (I assume when you referenced iaxrpt, you were talking about interfacing with a telephone).

···

On Sat Jan 17 2015 at 5:36:21 PM Doug Crompton doug@crompton.com wrote:

The main reason to use full duplex is to have the capability to command your node while another station is transmitting. In half duplex you have to wait for a clear channel. The real feature of full duplex (being able to talk like you are on the phone) would only be achieved if you had completely full duplex systems at both ends including the user transceiver. This could be achieved without radios using iaxrpt at both ends.

You could use two cheap radios, one RX and the other TX for full duplex. You would either need enough antenna separation or use a small duplexor with one antenna.
To see my simple repeater using the SA818 modules see -
http://crompton.com/hamradio/818_transceiver_module/
Or the link on hamvoip.org
You could use any two radios, mix or match, to achieve the same result.
Remember to set duplex=2 in rpt.conf if you are using it as a repeater full duplex.
73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio

Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 19:19:03 +0000