Simple dtmf connection

Hi, in the past I used IRLP to connect to the WIN system. I did not set up anything. I tuned into a nearby node and pressed DTMF keys.

With Allstar I’m confused. All the documents say the first thing I need to do is create a node and setup a server, with lots of steps and instructions. Confusing (to me anyway).

With Allstar, can I just be a “user”? Can I turn in a nearby Allstar node with my HT and connect to WIN (or other system) with DTMF tones, without any home setup? I don’t see any instructions about doing that.

thanks!

73 de Doug
KJ6OYJ, San Francisco Calif.

You can! But if a local repeater is Allstar enabled, please check with their rules and members before linking. You can link with DTMF by pressing *3 and then the node number.

Check http://www.winsystem.org/ for possible repeaters to link to.

Thanks!

I will check on the rules. When you say “local repeater”, I assume you mean a typical FM repeater run by a club, on a hill somewhere. Is that right?

Could you give a simple definition of an Allstar server or node and what they do?

Questions below assume that I am not using any Internet connection or software at home, just a radio.

Can I or should I connect to a nearby Allstar node or server via RF? Or only use a club repeater?

In general, when I connect to Allstar via RF, am I automatically on a default system # that has traffic? Then I can stay there, or use DTMF to connect to another system?

Let’s say I connect to Allstar via RF and then DTMF to WIN. In the past when I was finished with WIN, I would press DTMF to disconnect, allowing someone else to connect to another system. However if others had joined in the meantime, I would just tune out. Is it the same custom with Allstar to do that? Is there an idle disconnect?

Is there a document for RF-only users? That is, a document that does not describe how to set up a server or node?

thanks very much

I’m not sure of a “User’s Guide” rather than a “node guide” – we really ought to have one. I often have to hunt for some stuff myself :slight_smile:

I guess etiquette should be about the same. Just check with your repeater’s rules and ask some folks over the air.

An Allstar node in simplest terms is a way to connect RF to the internet. In the case of a local FM repeater using it, it allows others to come in over the internet to then use that repeater. Or, vice versa – connect from an FM repeater over RF to a remote node on the internet, which itself could be another FM repeater.

Another type of node would be something like a micronode, which has a low power radio and is meant for local use. I have one of these at home to connect to the WinSystem at night to listen to nets.

Lastly, there’s radioless nodes, which can be virtual “hubs” for other nodes, or used for connecting via a PC so you can use a headset/mic to talk instead of a radio. The WinSystem operators connect in this way for nets because the audio quality is much higher and more consistent.

The default mode for Allstar is unconnected, so there isn’t a default system per se. We’re kinda working on something like that, though.

Cheers,
Rob

Great info, thanks!

When I look at http://allstarmap.org/, I see some of the map dots have a frequency and others don’t. What’s the difference?

Are some of the dots club repeaters, or all they all home-based? Are they called “nodes”?

For ones that have a frequency, can I tune in as a simplex station, ID, and enter DTMF for WIN (or other system)? If the map dot has a CTCSS freq, is that for xmit only (meaning when I xmit)?

How can I tell which ones are simplex and which are repeaters?

You said to press *3 and the node number. So what node number would I use for WIN? With IRLP I would normally use 9100.

Is there a list of DTMF codes I should use for connect, disconnect, etc?

thanks!

They’re all considered “nodes”, but what they’re connected to varies.

Assuming you can pick up that simplex frequency, theoretically you could do that. But that might be someone’s personal node and wouldn’t be too happy with that. The power on simplex nodes is typically low (500mW), so you probably won’t be able to pick them up.

2560 is the # for the WinSystem hub. You can find a list here:
http://www.winsystem.org/repeaters/

*76 to disconnect

So you recommend only using a club-type repeater in order to connect to Allstar via RF, and not try to talk to a simplex on the map (unless I know the operator)?

Just to confirm: if I tune into an Allstar repeater frequency, then I just give ID and enter DTMF *3nnnn (or possibly *70). Is that right?

Therefore, I don’t need to be near a WIN repeater (which I’m not). I can connect via RF to an Allstar repeater, then I can enter DTMF *3 2560 for WIN — and the repeater doesn’t have to be listed on the WIN system repeater page?

For example, over in Berkeley is this node (from Allstar map):
name: Grizzly Peak
freq: 442.400 +
tone: 77.0
Looks like a repeater with that “+” sign.
This repeater is not on the WIN repeater page. But I can tune in to 442.4MHz and enter *3 2560 for WIN ?

I found this:
*1 nnnn Disconnect specified link
*2 nnnn Monitor link
*3 nnnn Connect to specified node in transceive mode
*70 Connection Status
*76 Disconnect all current users

thanks!

You got it. I’ll ID and usually say like “KK9ROB for ID. Connecting this repeater to AllStar”

I see. Yes the repeater info is for regular FM.

So I tune, ID, and then first enter DTMF to connect to Allstar. Which nnnn code is that?

Then I enter *3 2560 for WIN while connected to Allstar nnnn ?

Hi Don, Just be aware, some repeater owners prefer to be asked before using a repeater on a busy network as the WIN system, could be that the repeater does not have a full duty amplifier or other technical stuff. Or it could also be a repeater for a specific type of use like canwarn. It could also already be linked to another repeater…

It would be a simple courtesy to check with the owner if it is ok with them.

Also, I have seen local users with very bad reactions to linking. They are used to having their little place in the rf world all to themself. So sharing it with a few hundreds hams all over the country (if not the world) is a daunting task for them.

Have fun with allstarlink. It is a great system. Just be aware that as with everything that deal with multiple people, there is always someone that will try to stop others from having fun.

Pierre
VE2PF

···

Le sam. 16 janv. 2021 à 20:44, Doug McC via AllStarLink Discussion Groups <noreply@community.allstarlink.org> a écrit :

| dmcc
January 17 |

• | - |

I see. Yes the repeater info is for regular FM.

So I tune, ID, and then first enter DTMF to connect to Allstar. Which nnnn code is that?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

| KK9ROB ASL Admin
January 17 |

• | - |

You got it. I’ll ID and usually say like “KK9ROB for ID. Connecting this repeater to AllStar”

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Additionally, some may have disabled DTMF tones entirely (I do this on my repeater).

Good technical detail, thanks Pierre and KK9ROB !

So after I get the okay from the repeater owner, then is the following correct:

I tune to repeater FM frequency, wait to hear any traffic, then ID and say intention, wait, and then enter DTMF to connect to Allstar.

Which nnnn code is that?

*32560 is the only command you need to connect.

*1 2560 to disconnect.

You should never make a connection and leave it unattended.

Ok, I’ll give it a try tomorrow, thanks everyone.

The Win system has an Allstar Hub. connect allstar to the Hub and you will be on the Win System Connect to node 2560 on allstar. *32560 and you will have what you need

Do you have a ham radio license?

In his first post he signed off with a callsign, so most likely.

Yes, have General Class, KJ6OYJ

So here is what I’ve figured out:

• The WIN system has multiple repeaters, always linked to each other by an Internet connection (or some other method). If you transmit directly to one of the WIN system repeaters with a radio, your voice is heard on all the WIN system repeaters. No DTMF needed.
  • You can also transmit into the WIN system by tuning to a nearby Allstar- or IRLP-enabled repeater, then use DTMF to select the WIN system. In this case, your voice is heard on both the nearby repeater and all the WIN system repeaters.
  • Using a desktop app, you can use a computer with a microphone to connect to Allstar. Then choose the code for the WIN system. (IRLP only uses radio at xmit and recv ends.)

Assuming the above is correct, here are some more questions:

• Looking at the WIN website repeater list, are all of those actual WIN system repeaters? Or are some of them club/org repeaters that can connect to WIN system using DTMF? (Repeaters – The WIN System)
  • Do I need to set up an Allstar node at home in order to use PC mic and speaker? The Wiki says I can use PC/Mac software to connect “to a node”. What “node” would that be? Could I connect to WIN for example?
  • Or is the custom among Allstar users to always have your own node at home?
  • I see there are Windows and Mac desktop apps to make this mic/spkr connection via Internet. Is there such an app in Linux/Ubuntu?

Thanks very much for any advice.

Yes. Or you can connect your home node to 2560 and transmit via either your desktop app, or RF to your radio node.

They should be. I believe they’re all real RF repeaters.

You can connect with PC/Mac software to your node or a node that lets you have a login.

I believe you can use Zoiper for Linux, but it’s a really unpleasant experience. You have to specially configure the node your connecting to (your node in most cases) to basically use VOX or to PTT on a DTMF command (*99# i believe). So every time you talk and stop talking you need to send *99#. It’s not ideal.

If you’re running Linux, I’d try to run Wine or Crossover to run iaxRpt instead.