SHARI PIHat Allstar mode as remote link to repeater: system cycling between rcv/xmit

I have an echolink node which services a nearby repeater which does not have internet access.

I configure the transceiver to connect to the repeater and configure it as an echolink mode.

And this works stably.

I would like to replace this with a SHARI PIHat V.

I configure the SHARI PIHat V as an allstar node on a simplex link frequency and all is fine.

I configure the SHARI PIHat V as an echolink link node on a simplex link frequency and all is fine.

I configure the SHARI PIHat V as an echolink repeater node on a simplex link frequency and all is fine.

I configure the SHARI PIHat V as an echolink repeater node on a split frequency and it cycles back and forth between transmitting and receiving at about 3 second intervals.

Removing the split transmit/receive frequency and the problem goes away.

Thoughts? This is the critical use for this SHARI System.

Thanks!

Are you ‘duplex’ with a existing active repeater ?

Sounds like classic ‘PING PONG’

If you are trying to establish asl/el connection > ‘to a repeater’, you need to set allstar as a simplex/half duplex connection and your radio as a transceiver of half duplex.

For asl, I believe duplex 0

Otherwise you are getting reactivated/COS’d by each others ‘tail’

You might also need to ctcss both ends as well.

I am not familiar with the device you are using. But you can not use asl in ‘repeater mode’ unless the ‘radio device’ is a full duplex repeater. It is set for what the connected radio is, not what you are connecting to with it.

The SHARI PiHat is not a full duplex device. Do not configurre it as a repeater. Configure as a simplex node with an offset in the tx and rx frequencies.

Gerald WD0FYF

I am running duplex and it cycles when linked to the remote repeater.

···

73,AB1PH
Don Rolph

that is called desense. hense that is why repeaters use duplexers. Echolink is 1/2 duplex mode only not like allstar which is full duplex. run with duplex=0 and linktolink=yes then you will have what you need.

Thanks!

···

73,AB1PH
Don Rolph

Just to be clear. It is not desense. It is not a full duplex device, but a half duplex device.
His issue is just logic in his set-up

Thanks!

···

73,AB1PH
Don Rolph

Situation:

• remote re[peater about 1/2 mile form my house with no internet access

• small AllStar node running with the repeater split and CTSS tone on transmit

Results:

• duplex=0 works stably

o but now the node does not identify itself which is on the edge of legal

Failure modes:

• duplex=2 full duplex ping pongs

• duplex=1 simplex with telemetry ping pongs on squelch tail from repeater

So I am working.

BUT how do I get the node to identify itself???

Thanks for everyone’s assistance!

···

73,AB1PH
Don Rolph

My location for echolink does not seem to be getting set.

The lines form the echolink.conf file are:

freq=146.895
tone=123.0
lat=42.14747
lon=-71.22681

Thanks in advance!

···

73,AB1PH
Don Rolph

duplex=0 should work for that. The comments in rpt.conf imply ID will work if uncommented. Are you using ASL or HamVoIP?

duplex = 0            ; 0 = Half duplex with no telemetry tones or hang time.
                      ;     Special Case: Full duplex if linktolink is set to yes.
                      ;     This mode is preferred when interfacing with an external multiport repeater controller.
                      ;     Comment out idrecording and idtalkover to suppress IDs also

I have:

duplkex=0

id is uncommented in rpt.conf

I am using ASL.

Thanks!

···

73,AB1PH
Don Rolph