Setting Up a Remote Base w/RTCM

Our remote base isn’t cutting it. It is half-duplex using a Vertex VX-4200. We are told that the audio has no bottom, it is sending CWID that it hears from the repeater (I knew why) and is sending pulses. I didn’t set the hardware or software up, so as I ask please know that I am at the top of a mountain and the remote base at the bottom where we have internet. Here’s what we are dealing with. Our intent is to attach the RTCM at the repeater site once we have internet up there. Until then…

The DB-15 on the back of the Vertex VX-4200 is almost capable of being used as a repeater controller output.

Pin 1 = TX Audio

Pin 2 = RX Audio

Pin 6 = External PTT

Pin 9 = COR (see notes)

Pin 15 = GRND

COR is achieved by creating voltage divider using other pins. Only then will one get COR but not COS. PL will only make it to the speaker on the front panel and rear jack. PL IS NOT on pin 2. Pin 2 is squelched but when it receives the repeater’s built-in controller (a Motorola MSF-5000). Every time our CWID goes off our remote base sends it to everyone.

Here are the problems. First, we’re told that we are committing link abuse by “jumping” or key clicking every time someone else transmits on a node our node replies. I don’t know what I am talking bout at this point. Smile:slight_smile:

Next I am told that our audio has no bottom end. No bass. The pin that we’re able to pull from is the only source that we’re aware of and is the pin used by Vertex to send audio to their VRS (mobile repeater).

http://www.shercoares.org/doc_files/manuals/vx4200_sm.pdf

I’ve been told to turn PL off and let the repeater pass through the tone. But please remember that pin 2 has no PL on it. Only the front panel speaker and rear speaker jack audio are muted by PL.

The easiest solution may be a GM300 but I cannot get the darn software on our old 386 laptop. The floppy decided to only read those created by itself. We’re puckered up on this one.

Suggestions are appeciated.

The GM300 and M120 can be programmed by a piece of windows software called “radio doctor” that works quite well. Radio Doctor is not motorola software so i’m assuming it’s perfectly legal.

···

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 11:36 AM, R. Wayne allstar@controlservers.net wrote:

Our remote base isn’t cutting it. It is half-duplex using a Vertex VX-4200. We are told that the audio has no bottom, it is sending CWID that it hears from the repeater (I knew why) and is sending pulses. I didn’t set the hardware or software up, so as I ask please know that I am at the top of a mountain and the remote base at the bottom where we have internet. Here’s what we are dealing with. Our intent is to attach the RTCM at the repeater site once we have internet up there. Until then…

The DB-15 on the back of the Vertex VX-4200 is almost capable of being used as a repeater controller output.

Pin 1 = TX Audio

Pin 2 = RX Audio

Pin 6 = External PTT

Pin 9 = COR (see notes)

Pin 15 = GRND

COR is achieved by creating voltage divider using other pins. Only then will one get COR but not COS. PL will only make it to the speaker on the front panel and rear jack. PL IS NOT on pin 2. Pin 2 is squelched but when it receives the repeater’s built-in controller (a Motorola MSF-5000). Every time our CWID goes off our remote base sends it to everyone.

Here are the problems. First, we’re told that we are committing link abuse by “jumping” or key clicking every time someone else transmits on a node our node replies. I don’t know what I am talking bout at this point. :slight_smile:

Next I am told that our audio has no bottom end. No bass. The pin that we’re able to pull from is the only source that we’re aware of and is the pin used by Vertex to send audio to their VRS (mobile repeater).

I’ve been told to turn PL off and let the repeater pass through the tone. But please remember that pin 2 has no PL on it. Only the front panel speaker and rear speaker jack audio are muted by PL.

The easiest solution may be a GM300 but I cannot get the darn software on our old 386 laptop. The floppy decided to only read those created by itself. We’re puckered up on this one.

App_rpt-users mailing list

App_rpt-users@ohnosec.org

http://ohnosec.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users

To unsubscribe from this list please visit http://ohnosec.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Enter your email address and press the “Unsubscribe or edit options button”

You do not need a password to unsubscribe, you can do it via email confirmation. If you have trouble unsubscribing, please send a message to the list detailing the problem.

The reason why you are seeing the pulse go over the link is because when the link radio unkeys it hears the repeater tail and therefore keys up the link again. I also run an MSF5000, it does the CWID with no PL which keeps the ID off the link unless someone kerchunks the repeater while it’s ID’ing. One way to stop the pulsing would be to set no tail on the repeater, but if you’re like me I have at least a 2 sec tail because I don’t want the repeater going up and down all the time like a simplex radio, and with no tail you would not hear the repeater come back to you when you keyed it up.

Andrew.

···

To: app_rpt-users@ohnosec.org
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 1:36 PM
Subject: [App_rpt-users] Setting Up a Remote Base w/RTCM

Pin 1 = TX Audio

Pin 2 = RX Audio

Pin 6 = External PTT

Pin 9 = COR (see notes)

Pin 15 = GRND

Here are the problems. First, we’re told that we are committing link abuse by “jumping” or key clicking every time someone else transmits on a node our node replies. I don’t know what I am talking bout at this point. :slight_smile:

To unsubscribe from this list please visit http://ohnosec.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Enter your email address and press the “Unsubscribe or edit options button”
You do not need a password to unsubscribe, you can do it via email confirmation. If you have trouble unsubscribing, please send a message to the list detailing the problem.

I have Radio Doctor but it states that it will not activate the accessory pins on the back – just the frequency and PL info.

···

Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 4:17 PM

To: R. Wayne

Cc: app_rpt mailing list

Subject: Re: [App_rpt-users] Setting Up a Remote Base w/RTCM

The GM300 and M120 can be programmed by a piece of windows software called “radio doctor” that works quite well. Radio Doctor is not motorola software so i’m assuming it’s perfectly legal.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 11:36 AM, R. Wayne allstar@controlservers.net wrote:

Pin 1 = TX Audio

Pin 2 = RX Audio

Pin 6 = External PTT

Pin 9 = COR (see notes)

Pin 15 = GRND

Here are the problems. First, we’re told that we are committing link abuse by “jumping” or key clicking every time someone else transmits on a node our node replies. I don’t know what I am talking bout at this point. Smile:slight_smile:

To unsubscribe from this list please visit http://ohnosec.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users
and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Enter your email address and press the “Unsubscribe or edit options button”

That explains it very well. But the MSF isn’t the problem yet, I don’ think. Isn’t it the remote base? Once we connect the RTCM to the MSF and it controls the MSF and does the CWIDs won’t this issue disappear?

···

Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 8:00 PM

The reason why you are seeing the pulse go over the link is because when the link radio unkeys it hears the repeater tail and therefore keys up the link again. I also run an MSF5000, it does the CWID with no PL which keeps the ID off the link unless someone kerchunks the repeater while it’s ID’ing. One way to stop the pulsing would be to set no tail on the repeater, but if you’re like me I have at least a 2 sec tail because I don’t want the repeater going up and down all the time like a simplex radio, and with no tail you would not hear the repeater come back to you when you keyed it up.

Andrew.

Pin 1 = TX Audio

Pin 2 = RX Audio

Pin 6 = External PTT

Pin 9 = COR (see notes)

Pin 15 = GRND

With app_rpt in direct control of the repeater you can turn off the internal ID and let app_rpt do the ID’s and they won’t be going over the link Yes, the pulse comes from the remote base hearing the repeaters tail after it unkeys. I was also going to mention, on the audio issue it sounds like you have discriminator audio, I think there’s a setting in rpt.conf to deal with that, someone else will have to give you that info as i’m not exactly sure what it needs to be set.
Andrew.

···

To: KD8USF kd8usf@yahoo.com; app_rpt-users@ohnosec.org
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 11:55 PM

That explains it very well. But the MSF isn’t the problem yet, I don’ think. Isn’t it the remote base? Once we connect the RTCM to the MSF and it controls the MSF and does the CWIDs won’t this issue disappear?

Andrew.

Pin 1 = TX Audio

Pin 2 = RX Audio

Pin 6 = External PTT

Pin 9 = COR (see notes)

Pin 15 = GRND

Check your email R. Wayne. That should do it. You don’t need to use a 386, I’ve successfully got the software to run on a Dual Core, running windows 98 on a second partition, which boots directly to DOS on our work Toughbooks.

You can also get a copy of VMworks or other virtual machine and run it in that, I’ve also done that and it works well. That’s what I do on my i7 laptop w/ win7. I use a USB to Serial converter from FTDI http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/US232R-100-BULK/768-1074-ND/2441363. FTDI makes one of the best USB to Serial Converts on the market.

Cheers,

Jesse

···

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 8:55 PM, R. Wayne allstar@controlservers.net wrote:

Andrew.

Pin 1 = TX Audio

Pin 2 = RX Audio

Pin 6 = External PTT

Pin 9 = COR (see notes)

Pin 15 = GRND