RTL_SDR for receive

I could use some help to connect the dots here.

I was trying to use a rtl-sdr to pipe a receive signal into the input or receive audio for asterisk instead of using the mic in on the usb audio fob.

Heres what I got so far. I can get a rtl-sdr installed in the Arch Linux by using pacman -s rtl-sdr.

Install reboot and plug in rtl-sdr. You can run lsusb to see if the computer sees it or run rtl_test.

Now to get the audio piped to audio device in the computer we have to create a loopback right?

So

modprobe snd-aloop

to get the loopbacks setup but its not the usb audio but on the card1??

Then if you run this command, it will pipe a FM 12Khz bandwidth centered on 446.160 mhz and pipe it to the loopback device which is the device name of the loopback.

rtl_fm -M USB -f 446.160M -A fast -s 12K -p -0 -g 0.0 | aplay -r 12k -t raw -D default:CARD=Loopback -c 1 -f S16_LEaplay -r 12k -t raw -c 1 -f S16_LE

I added these two items in rc.local so rtl-sdr input and loopbacks are setup before asterisk starts.

After doing some reading. https://github.com/sm0svx/svxlink/issues/250 <----took some notes from here.

I added the input and output device name in the alsa.conf

In asterisk/alsa.conf define the audio ports pointing to alsa loopback devices:

input_device= default:CARD=Loopback

output_device=default:CARD=Device

in modules.conf I enabledchan_alsa.so and after reboot with chan_alsa.so loaded I get no audio at all. My radio keys up at bootup but I get no initial greeting, no audio is coming through. Now I wasn’t expecting this to work of the top, I still need to figure out how the node is going to get cos from the rtl-sdr, I could try to use ctcss but can anyone help me connect the dots on this with what I have so far.

Thanks,

Joe

Kd2nfc

I was trying to use a rtl-sdr to pipe a receive signal into the input or
receive audio for asterisk instead of using the mic in on the usb audio fob.

I've always done this using a usbradio or simpleusb based input, never using
the chan_alsa. I don't believe alsa works for radio interfaces as there is no
signaling for PTT/COR/PL/etc.

Heres what I got so far. I can get a rtl-sdr installed in the Arch Linux by
using pacman -s rtl-sdr.

If you're running arch you compiled allstarlink from source, so can you post
your config output?

Then if you run this command, it will pipe a FM 12Khz bandwidth centered on
446.160 mhz and pipe it to the loopback device which is the device name of
the loopback.

rtl_fm -M USB -f 446.160M -A fast -s 12K -p -0 -g 0.0 | aplay -r 12k -t raw
-D default:CARD=Loopback -c 1 -f S16_LEaplay -r 12k -t raw -c 1 -f S16_LE

Does this work if you just output to the local speakers?

in modules.conf I enabled chan_alsa.so and after reboot with chan_alsa.so
loaded I get no audio at all. My radio keys up at bootup but I get no
initial greeting, no audio is coming through. Now I wasn't expecting this to
work of the top, I still need to figure out how the node is going to get cos
from the rtl-sdr, I could try to use ctcss but can anyone help me connect
the dots on this with what I have so far.

I don't think you'll have the signaling here to make this work. You might be
able to loop this into the DSP functions of USBradio, but it's going to need
some code to glue it together.

This sounds like a cool project, but GNUradio isn't the easiest to work with :slight_smile:

73's

···

On 5/22/18 3:29 AM, KD2NFC - Joe wrote:
--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice
http://bryanfields.net

I’m using a image. Not 100% sure where I got it. Might be David’s. I can post the config. What do want to see?

Yes the rtl_rm and aplay pipe will play on default sound device. The -D in aplay command portion of the command specifies your sound device. Looks like the command I pasted had a double of the aplay command. It should read:

-D default:CARD=Loopback -c 1 -f S16_LE

I use to use this with wsjtx and the rtl-SDR for receive only and it piped the audio right into the program.

The thing I need to accomplish is allow asterisk to use the usb fob for audio out and make use of the PTT and then allow input from another hardware device. I read that the only way to do it is using usbaudio driver for radio and adding a Alsa.conf file pointing to the input and output device you want to use.

When I enable the chan_alsa.so and reboot, the radio keys up because the PTT is high from the usb audio activating but no audio comes from asterisk. It’s certainly not behaving the way should using when using chan_alsa.so by looking in the alsa.conf file and finding its audio in and out devices.

Wondering how the usbaudio.so find it’s device. Does it assume the usb audio is card 0, or the default audio. What if you had two audio fobs on the system and you wanted to specify a specific one?

TBC…

Joe

Kd2nfc

···

On May 22, 2018, at 3:44 AM, Bryan Fields Bryan@bryanfields.net wrote:

I’ve always done this using a usbradio or simpleusb based input, never using
the chan_alsa. I don’t believe alsa works for radio interfaces as there is no

using pacman -s rtl-sdr.

If you’re running arch you compiled allstarlink from source, so can you post
your config output?

the loopback.

initial greeting, no audio is coming through. Now I wasn’t expecting this to

I don’t think you’ll have the signaling here to make this work. You might be
able to loop this into the DSP functions of USBradio, but it’s going to need

This sounds like a cool project, but GNUradio isn’t the easiest to work with :slight_smile:

73’s

Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice

App_rpt-users mailing list
App_rpt-users@lists.allstarlink.org
http://lists.allstarlink.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users

To unsubscribe from this list please visit http://lists.allstarlink.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Enter your email address and press the “Unsubscribe or edit options button”
You do not need a password to unsubscribe, you can do it via email confirmation. If you have trouble unsubscribing, please send a message to the list detailing the problem.

Have you tried using the chan_usrp module? It’s designed to work with GNU Radio. I use it for bridging, but I’ve never tested it for this particular instance. I’m reading with interest. :blush: 73 de K4SQI!

Steve, K4SQI

···

Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 1:23 PM
To: Users of Asterisk app_rpt
Subject: Re: [App_rpt-users] RTL_SDR for receive

I’m using a image. Not 100% sure where I got it. Might be David’s. I can post the config. What do want to see?

Yes the rtl_rm and aplay pipe will play on default sound device. The -D in aplay command portion of the command specifies your sound device. Looks like the command I pasted had a double of the aplay command. It should read:

I use to use this with wsjtx and the rtl-SDR for receive only and it piped the audio right into the program.

The thing I need to accomplish is allow asterisk to use the usb fob for audio out and make use of the PTT and then allow input from another hardware device. I read that the only way to do it is using usbaudio driver for radio and adding a Alsa.conf file pointing to the input and output device you want to use.

When I enable the chan_alsa.so and reboot, the radio keys up because the PTT is high from the usb audio activating but no audio comes from asterisk. It’s certainly not behaving the way should using when using chan_alsa.so by looking in the alsa.conf file and finding its audio in and out devices.

Wondering how the usbaudio.so find it’s device. Does it assume the usb audio is card 0, or the default audio. What if you had two audio fobs on the system and you wanted to specify a specific one?

TBC…

Joe

Kd2nfc

Sent from my iPad

using pacman -s rtl-sdr.

your config output?

the loopback.

This sounds like a cool project, but GNUradio isn’t the easiest to work with :slight_smile:

73’s

Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice

To unsubscribe from this list please visit http://lists.allstarlink.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Enter your email address and press the “Unsubscribe or edit options button”
You do not need a password to unsubscribe, you can do it via email confirmation. If you have trouble unsubscribing, please send a message to the list detailing the problem.

Are you trying to send RX audio to the simpleusb channel driver? You could always “force” the RPT_RXKEYED variable by issuing rpt setvar nodenumber RPT_RXKEYED=1 at the CLI to pipe audio through without having anything connected. I’ve done this for testing purposes to assert COS and works as intended. Not sure how you would be able to automate it however, maybe something in cron at boot?

Just thinking out loud… I too am interested in the progress of this as I’ve been wanting to mess with chan_alsa for a while, but never got started with it.

Stephen

K1LNX

···

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 1:27 PM, Steven Blackford kb7sqi@gmail.com wrote:

Have you tried using the chan_usrp module? It’s designed to work with GNU Radio. I use it for bridging, but I’ve never tested it for this particular instance. I’m reading with interest. :blush: 73 de K4SQI!

Steve, K4SQI

TBC…

Joe

Kd2nfc

Sent from my iPad

using pacman -s rtl-sdr.

your config output?

the loopback.

73’s

Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice

Hmm. I will look into it. Gotta see how that module works. Thanks Steve

···

On May 22, 2018, at 1:27 PM, Steven Blackford kb7sqi@gmail.com wrote:

Steve, K4SQI

TBC…

Joe

Kd2nfc

Sent from my iPad

73’s

Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice

using pacman -s rtl-sdr.

your config output?

the loopback.

Stephen I’m looking to make a rtl sdr the nodes radio receiver. Right now I haven’t found a device that works with asterisk that let’s me specify a device for input and a device for output. The chan_alsa is suppose to do that and when I enable it I get no audio at all. My pipe command works when I output it to the usb fob, the radio keys up because the PTT is high and not under control of asterisk to keep it low so it transmits the audio coming from the rtlsdr. If I key up another radio on the frequency I’m set to I hear it. But that’s just a test because my aplay command can’t be in control of the usb audio fob and asterisk so I’m trying to use the alsa audio loopback so I can pipe the audio to one end of the loop back and then tell asterisk /usbaudio to use the other end of the loopback as audio input. It’s really pretty easy straight forward and kinda trivial in other alsa environments and it seems like asterisk can do it. Maybe I’m missing something in this Doug Crompton build I’m using.

Joe

KD2NFC

···

On May 22, 2018, at 1:40 PM, Stephen - K1LNX k1lnx@k1lnx.net wrote:

Are you trying to send RX audio to the simpleusb channel driver? You could always “force” the RPT_RXKEYED variable by issuing rpt setvar nodenumber RPT_RXKEYED=1 at the CLI to pipe audio through without having anything connected. I’ve done this for testing purposes to assert COS and works as intended. Not sure how you would be able to automate it however, maybe something in cron at boot?

Just thinking out loud… I too am interested in the progress of this as I’ve been wanting to mess with chan_alsa for a while, but never got started with it.

Stephen

K1LNX

Steve, K4SQI

TBC…

Joe

Kd2nfc

Sent from my iPad

using pacman -s rtl-sdr.

your config output?

the loopback.

73’s

Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice

Made a little progress today…

I was able to listen to the audio piped from the rtl_sdr on the node today. Well I actually had to create an extension that opens the other end of the loopback device I am piping the audio into. I made an extension and it can be called up. I’m basically using alsa as a end point.

I guess for now it could be used to play noaa weather or any other frequency you want to sit it on. Rtl_fm has some cool features like you can add a few frequencies and rtl_fm will scan through them while its running. There could be an issue with squelch though, if there is a lot of noise it could keep the node keyed up and the squelch feature in the rtl_fm is quirky, it doesn’t cut the noise floor out weird.

Now that I have confirmed a working setup that audio can come into ASL from the SDR and learned a little more about this beast Asterisk I can figure out next steps. It wont be this way lol, we would need a Alsa type driver we can call from rtp.conf. Mike KB8JNM mentioned look into usrp. From some brief looks at it and I found that you can split the rxchannel and txchannel in rtp.conf. so what if I txchannel = UsbRadio/usb46596 and rxchannel = USRP/127.0.0.1:34001:32001. I don’t know much about usrp so I will have to see how I can pipe the audio of the SDR into that channel. To be continued….

So if you want to add a sdr dongle to your node just follow these steps. Don’t forget to plug in your rtl-sdr dongle :blush:

Install the rtl-sdr drivers like I mentioned in the original post. I compiled the keenerds version as he have some bells and whistles in his build.

Add these commands to rc.local, they will setup the loopback and get rtl_sdr piping audio to the loopback. Check the frequency (-f ) to whatever you like, you can 146125000 syntax as well.

modprobe snd-aloop ; <-put this before asterisk loading

rtl_fm -M fm -f 145640000 -s 30000 -r 12k -g 3.0 | aplay -r 12k -D default:CARD=Loopback -c 1 -f S16_LE & ; <-put this after asterisk loads

create a alsa.conf in /etc/asterisk/

add this…

[general]

autoanswer=yes

context=local

extensions=s

language=de

input_device=hw:1,1,0

output_device=hw:1,0,1

I’m using usbaudio for this in rpt.conf but you have to enable chan_alsa.so in modules.conf

Next create a file called console.conf in the /etc/asterisk directory

Add this…

[default]

input_device = default

output_device = default

autoanswer = yes

context = default

extension = s

callerid = Radio Console KD2NFC <(0049) 123456789>

language = en

overridecontext = no

mohinterpret = default

active = yes

I can connect with my sip device by adding this to my extentions.conf

[dialplan]

exten => 222,1,Authenticate(1234) ; use password 1234 to connect or comment out this and the playback line below, you have to renumber the order.

exten => 222,2,Playback(access-granted)

exten => 222,3,Dial(Console/default)

exten => 222,n,Hangup()

If you add it to a dialplan context setup to work with your node you can get to it by doing a autopatch. Rpt fun <yournode#> *6222

Or dial 222 with your sip or iax endpoint. Make sure their contexts points to the dial plan with the extension you added.

Joe

Kd2nfc

···

From: App_rpt-users app_rpt-users-bounces@lists.allstarlink.org On Behalf Of Stephen - K1LNX
Sent: May 22, 2018 1:40 PM
To: Users of Asterisk app_rpt app_rpt-users@lists.allstarlink.org

Stephen

K1LNX

Steve, K4SQI

TBC…

Joe

Kd2nfc

Sent from my iPad

using pacman -s rtl-sdr.

your config output?

the loopback.

73’s

Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice

Wow, I found this….can someone help me compile it?

https://yo3iiu.ro/blog/?p=361

···

From: App_rpt-users app_rpt-users-bounces@lists.allstarlink.org On Behalf Of Stephen - K1LNX
Sent: May 22, 2018 1:40 PM
To: Users of Asterisk app_rpt app_rpt-users@lists.allstarlink.org

Stephen

K1LNX

Steve, K4SQI

TBC…

Joe

Kd2nfc

Sent from my iPad

using pacman -s rtl-sdr.

your config output?

the loopback.

73’s

Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice

I was able to listen to the audio piped from the rtl_sdr on the node today.
Well I actually had to create an extension that opens the other end of the
loopback device I am piping the audio into. I made an extension and it can
be called up. I’m basically using alsa as a end point.

Joe, that's great to hear. I love seeing people dig into AllStar and change
things out of the ordinary, that's the power of open source.

So if you want to add a sdr dongle to your node just follow these steps.
Don’t forget to plug in your rtl-sdr dongle :blush:

You should add this up on the wiki, it's there so anyone can edit it and add
new stuff to it. http://wiki.allstarlink.org

Request an account:
https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Special:RequestAccount and we'll get it
approved.

73's

···

On 5/23/18 8:00 PM, KD2NFC - Joe wrote:
--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice

Okay thanks.

Here’s a cool pic of my node. It’s just waiting to get a paint job. :sunglasses:

Bryan could you tell me how I need to compile this? Do I have to download the whole asterisk source? If so, which version. I am using a doug Crompton image.

https://yo3iiu.ro/blog/?p=361

Joe
Kd2nfc

···

-----Original Message-----
From: App_rpt-users <app_rpt-users-bounces@lists.allstarlink.org> On Behalf Of Bryan Fields
Sent: May 23, 2018 10:41 PM
To: Users of Asterisk app_rpt <app_rpt-users@lists.allstarlink.org>

Well I actually had to create an extension that opens the other end of
the loopback device I am piping the audio into. I made an extension
and it can be called up. I’m basically using alsa as a end point.

Joe, that's great to hear. I love seeing people dig into AllStar and change things out of the ordinary, that's the power of open source.

You should add this up on the wiki, it's there so anyone can edit it and add new stuff to it. http://wiki.allstarlink.org

Request an account:
https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Special:RequestAccount and we'll get it approved.

73's
--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice

To unsubscribe from this list please visit http://lists.allstarlink.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Enter your email address and press the "Unsubscribe or edit options button"

Ah hamvoip, well ask them for the source, lol.

The hamvoip people are in violation of the GPL and have no right to distribute
any of the asterisk/app_rpt/linux/etc. code. They are perpetrators of
copyright infringement on a massive scale.

The real open source AllStar code is on github:

and binaries are on the wiki under downloads

https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Main_Page

You should be able to pull the version of asterisk there and compile it
(./configure, make, etc) just like any older asterisk. You'll need the DAHDI
kernel modules, so you'll need headers. I've done it a few times, it's not
that bad, takes a bit to do it on the Pi unless you cross compile :slight_smile:

73's

···

On 5/23/18 11:36 PM, KD2NFC - Joe wrote:

Bryan could you tell me how I need to compile this? Do I have to download
the whole asterisk source? If so, which version. I am using a doug Crompton

--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice

Looks like there is support for alsa device and using gpio pins on a RPi. Why aren’t these features pushed out into builds and images?

https://github.com/N4IRS/ASL_GPIO

; Channels
noload => chan_rpiradio.so ; Simple Channel driver for ALSA interface with Rapsberry Pi GPIO controls
noload => chan_alsaradio.so ; Simple Channel driver for ALSA interface

oh my!

Joe
Kd2nfc

···

From: App_rpt-users <app_rpt-users-bounces@lists.allstarlink.org> On Behalf Of Bryan Fields
Sent: May 23, 2018 10:41 PM

Well I actually had to create an extension that opens the other end of
the loopback device I am piping the audio into. I made an extension
and it can be called up. I’m basically using alsa as a end point.

Joe, that's great to hear. I love seeing people dig into AllStar and change things out of the ordinary, that's the power of open source.

You should add this up on the wiki, it's there so anyone can edit it and add new stuff to it. http://wiki.allstarlink.org

Request an account:
https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Special:RequestAccount and we'll get it approved.

73's
--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice

To unsubscribe from this list please visit http://lists.allstarlink.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Enter your email address and press the "Unsubscribe or edit options button"

I think the performance and audio quality was not good. Steve did some testing
with it and I think the issue was you needed an interface device to
limit/cleanup audio and it just wasn't worth it.

The code's there so it might be possible to improve it if you want to mess
with it :slight_smile:

···

On 5/24/18 12:44 AM, KD2NFC - Joe wrote:

Looks like there is support for alsa device and using gpio pins on a RPi.
Why aren’t these features pushed out into builds and images?

--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice

Understood. I'll see where this takes me.

Thank you Bryan!

Joe
Kd2nfc

···

Sent: May 24, 2018 12:53 AM

On 5/24/18 12:44 AM, KD2NFC - Joe wrote:

Looks like there is support for alsa device and using gpio pins on a RPi.
Why aren’t these features pushed out into builds and images?

I think the performance and audio quality was not good. Steve did some testing with it and I think the issue was you needed an interface device to limit/cleanup audio and it just wasn't worth it.

The code's there so it might be possible to improve it if you want to mess with it :slight_smile:
--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice

Few years later here – I’ve been unable to figure out how to interface this via GNU radio. Do you have any insight on what the interface should look like?

Reviving old posts? Takes guts to revive a post from someone you obviously are fighting with on Reddit.

You probably get a better reply asking on the GNU Radio sites.

I was able to figure out a solution to this by tinkering. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

I may be outside the picture here …
but as I remember it, folks were using the USRP driver to feed RTL-SDR to ASL.