ROOT user and other new node problems

I already have a node running and was setting up a second one to deploy somewhere else.
Installed the same image file as before (or at least I thought I did) as soon as I booted up the Pi I noticed something had changed and it was even more obvious as soon as I had to type sudo asl-menu to get into the configuration menu.
OK things get updated so let’s go. Well did all the changes node number, call sign, timezone ETC. I saved everything and rebooted the Pi as instructed. Go back into the asl menu and that is when I noticed there was no option for bash like it used to be before, no problem. Looked around and found the part about installing Allmon2 so I installed it. Save again restart and back to the menu. I am faster with Winscp so I logged in with it and now what used to be a root user or superuser is gone I can’t manipulate files in Winscp because there is no root. ok, so I go back again to using Nano.
No, I am not an expert Linux guy, I know enough to play around and change things that I need to.

Then after supposedly installing allmon2, it’s nowhere to be found. There is no supermon either???
Checking on the server and it is also not registering. I am not new to ASL I have made plenty of nodes for myself and others never had this problem.

In case it is needed this is what I installed on a Pi 3B+
ASL_1.01-20180228-armhf-raspbian-stretch-image.zip

By default, SSH is not enabled.
You need to
sudo nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config

change the values of these lines un-comment as needed
PermitRootLogin yes

While in the asl-menu
You can set root password if you did not already.

Then sudo systemctl restart ssh

====

You should find the installs for allmon in
/var/www/html

I’m not sure supermon was on the Pi image for v1.01 by default, but you can install it.

===
As a side note, if you have a good Pi install you want to duplicate,
copy the image file from the SD (also good for back-up)
write to new SD.
Then just change the node# and registration info etc

That is exactly where I looked as soon I got into the SD card and it was not there folder www was nowhere to be found.
Tried installing manually and gave me an error that file could not be found, tried almon3 with the same results.

/var/www/html/allmon

I’m not sure you can get allmon3 to install on a v1.01 without some prerequisites installed.
You will have to refer to those instructions for allmon3

But, just for a test, if you have time as it will be slow,
you can scan the entire disk for ‘allmon’ with winscp.
That function is much faster under filezilla, but may be the only thing I like about it anymore.
But just to see if it installed ‘somewhere’. and that may tell us the root of the issue.

After getting a headache messing with this I just made a copy of the SD card that I already had that was working and after running the new setup option it is running now. Can’t get it to register at the moment but I will let it sit for a while and see what happens.

Unfortunately Debian 9 Stretch has an ancient version of Python which is incompatible with Allmon3. I would suggest using the “Beta” version of ASL2. Allmon3 works on it.

Alex,
you should only have to change the registration string to match the node with user:passw what is set in the user portal to properly register…Allow a few minutes depending on where you are checking that from.

Then the nodes section of rpt.conf along with the node number description itself for the stanza

and in extensions.conf

The easiest way around it is to edit the files and use winscp’s replace function and replace the old node number with the new node number in each .conf file and then just change the registration string.

Consider this thread CLOSED.
The problem was that the version of ASL I was downloading was just completely out of whack. And I downloaded various versions of it with the same results, allmon and supermon were missing in all of them and they would not install when using the bash shell. It would go through the process and say that it downloaded and such but nothing after that unless there was a step that I missed, and to be honest, I think that was the problem because after looking at the files on the SD card after the installation there was some packages there that weren’t there before so it was downloading it but I guess I don’t know about installing it after download. Most other stuff that I have downloaded using bash shell will install after it is downloaded and I read other posts on some other things that talk about making the installation packet or something of the sort after downloading and that well was just out of my knowledge base.
Anyhow I just cloned the working SD card I already had up and running changed the information for the new node and I got it working with allmon2 and supermon.

Thank you for all the help hope you guys have a great holiday season.

N4ASS

Alex,
from what you have now said, I might think there was an issue with the SD card.
But it could also be an issue with the software writing to the card.
Keep that in mind on future issues, if you should have them.

Not sure if it was the SD or what. I downloaded the image or images more than once in case they got corrupted during download. Given I did use the same SD card and probably was burned like 10 times that day but the last time I did burn the image from the backup to the same card and it is working.
Just one of those gremlins that you can never figure out.