Raspberry Pi voltage

We’ve had some intermittent problems with Asterisk shutting down at our K2ETS remote site, and I’ve discovered something important. The Raspberry Pi MINUMUM operating voltage is 4.8v. The USB cable you use to power it is CRITICAL. To check, I used a USB cable which I cut and stripped, and measured across the red and black conductors. I plugged this into a USB port on the Pi. I checked 4 cables on a Pi running with one URI connected, and got 4 DIFFERENT Pi voltages. The lowest reading was 4.5 volts on 2 cables! One read 4.7 volts. Finally, the fourth one read 4.92 volts. These cables are not rated for current, so you must check them!

I don’t use the micro USB connector. I plug right onto the 40 pin header and use a 3 amp buck converter set to 5 vdc. Since I have gone to that configuration, I no longer have those issues. Variable voltage 3 amp buck converter is $2 - $3 on eBay. I put +12 vdc in and set the multiturn pot for +5 vdc out then hook +5 vdc to pin 2 and ground to pin 6

···

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019, 5:42 AM Len Griffin lengriff@optimum.net wrote:

We’ve had some intermittent problems with Asterisk shutting down at our K2ETS remote site, and I’ve discovered something important. The Raspberry Pi MINUMUM operating voltage is 4.8v. The USB cable you use to power it is CRITICAL. To check, I used a USB cable which I cut and stripped, and measured across the red and black conductors. I plugged this into a USB port on the Pi. I checked 4 cables on a Pi running with one URI connected, and got 4 DIFFERENT Pi voltages. The lowest reading was 4.5 volts on 2 cables! One read 4.7 volts. Finally, the fourth one read 4.92 volts. These cables are not rated for current, so you must check them!

App_rpt-users mailing list

App_rpt-users@lists.allstarlink.org

http://lists.allstarlink.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users

To unsubscribe from this list please visit http://lists.allstarlink.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Enter your email address and press the “Unsubscribe or edit options button”

You do not need a password to unsubscribe, you can do it via email confirmation. If you have trouble unsubscribing, please send a message to the list detailing the problem.