I’m building a new node from scratch, and have run into a problem. I’m using the Baofeng BF-888S for the radio, and have followed the instructions on the Allstarlink site. I am able to talk to the radio attached, but I get nothing back from it. It recognizes the DTMF codes, and I can connect to a node or hub, but I get no audio from the connection. Confirmed through Asterisk client, I can see how the radios are communicating, but I hear nothing from the radio in the circuit.
The node is made up of:
Raspberry Pi 3 using RPi2-3-4_V1.6-14_Allstar.img
Baofeng mentioned above.
USB CM108 FOB
If you need to see config files let me know. I don’t know if it’s a hardware or software issue at this point. I don’t even hear the “say time” messages. It’s just not transmitting through the radio to be picked up by another radio.
Thank you in advance, I know this may be a rookie question, but this is my first node build too.
Depending on the radio interface you are using you may see an LED light up when it should transmit. If that is working but the radio is not keying then there is a connection problem to your radio.
Do you see the radio key but there is no audio? In that case you may need to be looking at setting the levels or troubleshooting the wiring.
Thank you for the reply, I’m looking into the suggestions you made, and even using a different Pi image (i.e. ASL Pi 1.01) just getting things setup. Will post when I get this figured out.
It’s a simplex node, and is not transmitting (keying) the mic to transmit what it’s hearing. I did transmit to a local repeater system and could hear my voice via broadcastify. Anyway, I’ll update this as soon as I can get it working.
For a simplex node be sure to check /etc/asterisk/rpt.conf to duplex=1. If it is set to 2 that could be the problem.
I think I may have found the problem. I was looking through the /etc/asterisk/ folder and found that the usbradio.conf file looks like it hasn’t been edited and is thus named usbradio.conf.xxx otherwise there is no .conf file created for the radio. I will create one from the template and let you know. But this would make sense, since I can connect the node to another and see activity on the node, it’s just not sending it to the radio.
I’ve got an errand to run right now that’s going to take a while, but will update when I have a chance to try this theory.
Well, after much trial and error, mostly error, I found the problem. Thankfully I had a second CM108 FOB to try out. It was in the first fob. I’ve got either a bad transistor or a small solder bridge that I need to get the microscope out to find. Needless to say, the second fob mod seems to have gone off without a hitch. I am now live both voice and hearing/keying the transmitter on the radio. I’ve been monitoring the radio/node now for the last 20 minutes, and it appears to be working, aside from the occasional hiccup keying of the mic. I’m sure that can be adjusted out.
Thank you WD6AWP for your help. This is the kind of stuff I like to try and figure out.
This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.