Problems getting a node running with CM108 interface

Greetings,

I am trying to build a couple of Allstar nodes using a Raspberry Pi 3B, CM108 USB sound and a Baofeng BF-888 radio. I will probably be moving and I was hoping to leave a couple of nodes with friends to make it easier to stay in touch.

I have been reading a lot trying to figure out the issues that I have, but have not really been making much progress. I am hoping someone out there will have a few things that will allow me to get the nodes up and running finally.

So from the OS side things are looking pretty good. Asterisk starts up and appears to register itself as an Allstar node. I can see the CM108 interface on the USB bus.

repeater@node53982:/etc/asterisk $ sudo lsusb
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0d8c:000c C-Media Electronics, Inc. Audio Adapter
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMC9514 Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

On the radio side I can see the COS signal when I key up another radio. In fact if I turn the verbosity up in the Asterisk console, I can get a dump of some ot the Asterisk variables about once a second which seems to so that the COS signal is being seen by Asterisk.

node53982*CLI>
Node Variable dump for node 531922:
   RPT_RXKEYED=0
   RPT_TXKEYED=0
   RPT_ETXKEYED=0
   RPT_LINKS=0
   RPT_NUMLINKS=0
   RPT_AUTOPATCHUP=0
    -- 6 variables
Node Variable dump for node 531922:
   RPT_RXKEYED=1
   RPT_TXKEYED=0
   RPT_ETXKEYED=0
   RPT_LINKS=0
   RPT_NUMLINKS=0
   RPT_AUTOPATCHUP=0
    -- 6 variables

If I try something simple like a station status command (*70), I get absolutely nothing. If I watch /var/log/asterisk/messages on my ClearNode, I can see a message written out for each DTMF code received. Nothing like that on the nodes that I am trying to build.

If I put a scope on the receive line, I can see a good DTMF tone being produced from the radio. But unfortunately it seems that the CM108 is either not seeing the audio or is not being configured correctly so that Asterisk can decode the DTMF. Not sure which and I am not sure how to determine which it might be.

I also do not get the node to ID itself when it is booted. This tends to indicate to me that something is not setup properly with Asterisk and it is not using the CM108 correctly. I am hoping that someone here will have a few ideas of things to try and get me back on the right track.

73 de WT0F