Plfilter and streaming

Does the “plfilter=yes” option do the filtering at a point before the audio stream is sent by 'outstreamcommand"?

In other words, should we hear the effect on the Broadcastify audio?

Thanks
Ken

That clearly is a good question.
While you might have to look through the source code to be sure,
I would think that the filter would do it’s work on inputs. Not outputs.

So if you had your rx CTCSS, the correct tone opens cor/squelch, the filter removes it before it proceeds as it enters the audio buss.

At least that has always been my assumption.

I’ve noticed that when I use apps on my computer, iaxrpt for example, I hear lots of P/L. Not sure if that’s because the audio is not filtered or because my computer speakers have base response.

Yes. Exactly why I posted the question. I guess I will have to set up a test with and without and analyze the result. I was hoping someone had already done that :wink:

How is the particular tone entering the system ? RX ? Or are you generating one on TX ?

From the aux jack of a TM733 into an RA40 “URI”.
I am using the so-called 1200 baud audio which is basically voice pass band …

Ken

Perhaps I was not clear or I’m just confused
What is ‘generating’ the tone. Or is it a unintentional tone ?

Sorry.
Since we are talking about a PL filter the “generator” is the CTCSS tone generator of a repeater. I am trying to assess if that repeater’s tone deviation level is too high. But even if it is, I expect the PL Filter to filter out the PL. No?

Ken

Ok - I did some tests. HV has a way to turn on and off the filter dynamically. There is the standard PL filter which I believe is identical to ASL and there is a “DCS” filter which is a “brick wall” filter with a 300 Hz cut off. ASL (app_rpt) used to have an option where you could compile it with filtering ability and I am sure you could construct a similar filter in ASL. But it does not have it now AFAIK,

Short story:

The PL filter knocks down a 110 Hz PL by about 30 dB
The “DCS:” filter knocks down a 110 Hz PL by about 65 dB

The latter filtering, of course, has some impact on speech “naturalness” but intelligibility is fine…

The attached image shows the Broadcastify feed with the problematical signal and two types of filtering. I have shown both linear and log displays:

linear
log

BTW - you can see the the repeater is feeding-through some of the user PL and mixing it with the internally-generated PL causing a slow “beat note”.

Ken
KE2N

Interesting.
Can you be sure the later noise measured is not from internal clocks, perhaps from the synthesizer etc.
That is something I have seen before.

Spectrum analysis shows that the :“tone” is exactly 111 Hz to the nearest Hz.
The PL for that repeater is 110.9 Hz.

It’s the PL.

2021-01-24 11_01_01-Frequency Analysis

There is a small amount of second harmonic at 222 Hz and a tiny amount at 333 Hz.

Ken