Pi-zero W SD card to Pi-zero 2W boot failure

Hi, I installed ASL beta 2.0.0 on a Raspberry Pi Zero W and connected it to Masters RA-42 and a few SIP phones via Wi-Fi. The TX audio from the SIP phones was bad, but it was perfect for monitoring traffic on handsfree.
Knowing that the zero was underpowered for this, I purchased a zero-2-W and moved the SD card to it after doing an update and full-upgrade. But it won’t boot. All I get on the monitor is the rainbow screen.
****Question 1: how do I get it to boot?

I then burnt a new image of 2.0.0.beta 6 onto a new SD card and it boots up fine.
****Question 2: can I just copy the files from a certain folder (/etc/asterisk?) from the old SD card to the new so I don’t have to configure everything? Anything to be careful of with ownership and permissions? (I’m not good that this).
All suggestions are welcome.
Tony
K2IP

1 Like

While I have not tried this on a zero2,
I might think you need to start with a fresh version of raspbian built for the cpu and build app_rpt from source.

The zero2 has a ARM A53 cpu
and the zero a BCM2835
and a Pi3 BCM2837

But I could be wrong.
The advantage of a zero2 is multi threading. It runs at the same clock speed as the zero and has the same amount of memory.
Without the correct OS package, I doubt you can take advantage of the multi threading anyway.

That’s a excellent idea. It could be that even if I got it to boot, the performance would be similar to the zero. I’ll roll up my sleeves and get cracking with the optimized system. Thank you

Just a heads up.
Once you have the OS and the source compiled, before any set-up,
pull the sd caed and make a backup image.
This gives you a way to start again from that point without going through all the hoops again should you fail later down the line. And if you succeed, you might pass that image along to help someone else out.

The other note is to not enable any modules you don’t need in modules.conf. This will help keep memory use down. Something that could be critical in a zero as I don’t know what the raspbian will leave you with.

Make it work first, then trim unless you are forced to in advance.

DAHDI must be compiled on the CPU/kernel for it to work correctly. Update the OS before compiling.

This might help

Thanks for the advice, I was considering bookworm as there may be a performance gain with the 64-bit architecture, or maybe not. I’ll take notes for the benefit of others.
Tony K2IP