Permanent disconnect behavior

Previously, for an incoming node connection that was done as permanent from the far end, if I were to disconnect that node from the near end, the node would remain disconnected.

However, one of our users is noticing that now when we initiate the permanent disconnect via allmon3 web interface in the same scenario above, the far end node will re-connect in a short number of seconds.

What is the expected behavior? The idea is if we disconnect a node, it should remain that way (which is what used to happen I thought).

hmm

There is not enough info to diagnose your probem. Many of the bugs have been squashed but are still in the beta branch of development.

Out of curiosity, do you know if that happens with remote ASL3 nodes, or HamVoIP? I noticed the same behavior specifically with HamVoIP nodes.
There is a difference in how HamVoIP, based on old app_rpt code and protocol, handles disconnects, which is something that KC1FSZ and I ran into when debugging his ampersand-asl parrot server.

···

On Oct 10, 2026, at 22:16, Matthew Annen [email protected] wrote:

Someone replied to a topic you are Watching.

| KB9OIV
October 11 |

  • | - |

Previously, for an incoming node connection that was done as permanent from the far end, if I were to disconnect that node from the near end, the node would remain disconnected.

However, one of our users is noticing that now when we initiate the permanent disconnect via allmon3 web interface in the same scenario above, the far end node will re-connect in a short number of seconds.

What is the expected behavior? The idea is if we disconnect a node, it should remain that way (which is what used to happen I thought).

hmm


Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

I can tell you there's no issues with disconnecting between two ASL3 nodes. If you have Node 1 connect permanently to Node 2, and then Node 2 sends either a ilink 1 or link 11 (disconnect and permanent disconnect respectively) Node 1's connection stays down. So this isn't a generalized problem with ASL.

Do you happen to know if the end has a cron job or a timer or something that's forcing the reconnection? That's what I've seen before - some people following misguided information online about always forcing a reconnection outside of app_rpt.

One of the far nodes I control and it only connects once at boot up using the permanent option.

The other node I tried with is also running ASL3 of unknown version, and that node connects via the non permanent option.

My hub node and the far end node I control are latest ASL release (not beta).

I tried with another far end node that is running hamvoip and the same behavior as well. Strange.

Are you saying you can't reproduce it or you are reproducing it?

The same strange behavior--manual disconnect on the near end and the far end reconnects seconds later.

This is the versioning on the hub node:

mannen@allstar-2495:~$ sudo asl-show-version
********** AllStarLink [ASL] Version Info **********

OS : Debian GNU/Linux 13 (trixie)
OS Kernel : 6.12.111+deb13-amd64

Asterisk : 22.10.1+asl3-3.10.5-1.deb13
ASL [app_rpt] : 3.10.5

Installed ASL packages :

Package Version
============================== ==============================
allmon3 1.10-1.deb13
asl3 3.18.2-2.deb13
asl3-asterisk 2:22.10.1+asl3-3.10.5-1.deb13
asl3-asterisk-config 2:22.10.1+asl3-3.10.5-1.deb13
asl3-asterisk-modules 2:22.10.1+asl3-3.10.5-1.deb13
asl3-menu 1.18-1.deb13
asl-apt-repos 2.0-1.deb13
dahdi 1:3.1.0-2.1
dahdi-linux 1:3.4.0-11.asl.deb13

And you do or don't know what the far end is? And you do or don't control it?

I have full access the hamvoip node mentioned, and many others that connect that run hamvoip, and several others that are ASL3 nodes. I haven't tried this on all of them, but batting 3 for 3 at the moment hmm.

So, to be clear, you have HamVOIP nodes that are making permanent connections (ilink 13) to a node running ASL3. Then from the ASL3 you're sending a disconnect (what kind?). The link to the HamVOIP node drops and then the HamVOIP node is reconnecting?

I send permanent disconnects. I swear in the past this would kick them off and stay off until we reconnect manually...another control operator on our hub mentioned the disconnects were not working but had in the past.

Yes, both hamvoip and ASL3 nodes.

But is the situation I described exactly what the situation is?

Which ones are which?

2495 is ASL3 and that is the 'hub'. All of the others are either ASL3 or hamvoip.

So you have other ASL3 nodes that are making a permanent connection to your hub, you're sending permanent disconnect to them, and then ASL3 nodes are rejoining? What version?

Yes, both hamvoip and ASL3.

Here is a far end ASL3:

root@28563:~# sudo asl-show-version
********** AllStarLink [ASL] Version Info **********

OS : Debian GNU/Linux 13 (trixie)
OS Kernel : 6.18.50+rpt-rpi-v8

Asterisk : 22.10.1+asl3-3.10.5-1.deb13
ASL [app_rpt] : 3.10.5

Installed ASL packages :

Package Version
============================== ==============================
allmon3 1.10-1.deb13
asl3 3.18.2-2.deb13
asl3-asterisk 2:22.10.1+asl3-3.10.5-1.deb13
asl3-asterisk-config 2:22.10.1+asl3-3.10.5-1.deb13
asl3-asterisk-modules 2:22.10.1+asl3-3.10.5-1.deb13
asl3-menu 1.18-1.deb13
asl3-update-nodelist 2.1.0-1.deb13
asl-apt-repos 2.0-1.deb13
dahdi 1:3.1.0-2.1
dahdi-linux 1:3.4.0-11.asl.deb13

You arerunning 3.10.5 which has known issues with the disconnect not being sent properly, Like I said earlier this has already been addressed in the current beta.

Yes, that's what I was going to suggest. Please upgrade to the 3.10.8 beta packages that were released and re-test.