Others unable to connect to my node

Greetings, My Allstar node is up and running. I can connect to other nodes. However, others have reported that they cannot connect to my node. I received a message from the Allstar help desk stating, “Your node is not reporting to the registration server.” Does anyone know how to resolve this issue? Thanks, Mike

1 Like

If you are behind a home (or NAT) router you need to port forward 4569 to your node. Have you already done that?

1 Like

I once read somewhere that opening ports wasnt needed for this use for example

Outbound connections do not need an open port. But for someone to connect to your node you definitely need to forward the IAX port to your node.

1 Like

Greetings, and thanks for the replies … My node is connected to my smartphone’s wifi hotspot, as we live in a rural area void of hard-wires and satellite service failed us. Any suggestions.I don’t know how to perform a “port forward” procedure. Any guidance/instruction(s) would be welcomed. Thanks, Mike

1 Like

Typically you can’t port forward a cellular connection. So you’re kinda stuck. We used to offer a proxy service for cellular users but I think that went away. There are instructions on out wiki to build your own proxy server which is a complex undertaking.

Another solution is to use an RTCM which connects to you node at home or (better) in the cloud. If interested I can explain in detail.

Or maybe someone will jump in here with another solution.

1 Like

Hi Tim, Well, I’m stuck then with my phone’ hot spot connection but, It sounds like there is a workaround. You said, “use an RTCM which connects to you node at home or (better) in the cloud.” Yes, if you would be so kind as to detail this procedure, I would appreciate it I’m sure others may benefit from this as well … when you can make time of course. Many thanks, Mike

···

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 10:24 PM Tim Sawyer via AllStarLink Discussion Groups <noreply@community.allstarlink.org> wrote:

| wd6awp ASL Admin
August 9 |

• | - |

Typically you can’t port forward a cellular connection. So you’re kinda stuck. We used to offer a proxy service for cellular users but I think that went away. There are instructions on out wiki to build your own proxy server which is a complex undertaking.

Another solution is to use an RTCM which connects to you node at home or (better) in the cloud. If interested I can explain in detail.

Or maybe someone will jump in here with another solution.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

| mdorosin
August 8 |

• | - |

Greetings, and thanks for the replies … My node is connected to my smartphone’s wifi hotspot, as we live in a rural area void of hard-wires and satellite service failed us. Any suggestions.I don’t know how to perform a “port forward” procedure. Any guidance/instruction(s) would be welcomed. Thanks, …

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

A VPN will easily solve this problem, too.

1 Like

David, Thanks for the info regarding VPN … I could give this a try, Mike

1 Like

Michael,

The RTCM connects a radio to your AllStar node computer across the internet including cellular and private IP networks. Think of it as a radio interface that uses ethernet rather than a USB cable. The RTCM was designed for simulcast and voting but it also works great for conventional repeaters and hotspots.

It’s smaller and more portable than a Rpi/URI combo. It instantly connects to your server at power on. There is no waiting for AllStar registration to complete and no concerns of SD card corruption.

But the feature you will find very useful is it requires no open inbound ports on the device end. Port 667 (default) must be open at the server end along with IAX and (optionally) SSH.

They are sold by micro-node.com. The site is currently down but units are still available. PM me if you’d like the phone number.

1 Like

Hi Tim, Great news; yours! Yes, I did a little research between our last messages here and found the web link you sent down. However, the RTCM sounds like a viable solution … I’m interested. I’ll contact you for the phone number so I may pursue this further. Appreciate your time and efforts, Mike

1 Like