On unit user interface

Just thinking…
Has anyone pondered making a user interface with an on unit display?
something that controls the asl or hamvoip node that is independent of a computer.
Maybe an up/down buttons selecting node in memory and lcd display on the node itself.
If I understood programming I might try making it myself, but i’m not that smart.
Just something I was curious about.
Mike (N3IDS)

Have you tried allmon or supermon web gui’s ?

Perhaps not what you are looking for ?

The most cost-effective way to do this is to use an old netbook or small laptop. These can be found for as little as $50 on ebay. Quite a deal considering you could pay twice that for an RPi (with no LCD, keyboard, battery, SSD, and less CPU power.) Here’s a demo video of a radio-less laptop node I just shipped to a customer yesterday: https://youtu.be/gWo4dSOewGw This has Supermon and AllScan installed for controlling the node, managing favorites, etc.

I did this with a RPi with the 7" RPi touchscreen as a front end. I used Allmon as the front end and modified it to have a popup for node # entry as well as quick connect buttons for most used links.

I’ve only ssh into a rpi, can allscan be made to display on a hdmi touchscreen attached to the rpi?

I like that idea, can this be applied to supermon/allscan?

thats what i presently use, I wanted something that makes the node a self contained unit

AllScan and any other web app can be used in any web browser and on any LCD monitor. Normally those apps are used on a separate PC or smartphone but can just as easily be used on the node itself if you use a desktop GUI like Xfce. Then just go to localhost/ in a browser. No different than what’s shown the demo video above which is a laptop with Debian 10 and Xfce.

can you refer me to a tutorial on this? I am still very new to linux

John AD2DK made a pushbutton control with LCD display as a HAT on top of the node. Look him up on QRZ

There are 3 How-To Guides at https://allscan.info that cover how to build a few different types of nodes. Those show all the steps and links needed to install ASL 2.0, update it to the latest source code, set up various dashboard programs, optional Xcfe desktop GUI, as well as the wiring for nodes using HTs, mobile radios, or radio-less nodes.

[root@n3idspi3 etc]# sudo apt install task-xfce-desktop
sudo: apt: command not found

sigh, it’s never easy…

Commands are different for HamVOIP since it runs a different Linux distribution. Following article should cover it: Install XFCE Desktop on Arch Linux

ok, got xfce installed.
how do I start it up?
I only get the hamvoip menu.
probably have to edit something somewhere.
has anyone tried installing asl under hampi ?
this command line stuff is infuriating!!!

I have not used HV so couldn’t help you there but if no one else here knows you could post on the HV forum. On Debian with ASL 2.0 after installing Xfce and rebooting the Desktop GUI starts up automatically, couldn’t have been any simpler to set up. But HV uses Archlinux instead of Debian which is an obscure Linux distro with not nearly as much online support. Or you could use ASL instead, I’m not aware of anything HV does that ASL does not.

I had some trouble with asl, like the echolink bridge didn’t work.
HV just “worked” but now that I want to try other stuff, There seems to be more incompatabilities.

Would you share your mods for others to see?

Thanks,

William KI5PHN

Just go to ASL’s website and load ASL for Pi…

What ever version you use is not going to be a “point-n-click” & easy going install without some command line coding. For some reason no one, including me, have taken the time to develop an install method that gets all the required information pertaining to a node up front (like node number, call sign, what gui or access you want to use, etc…) before installing the base software then requiring one to go back and set up the node. In other words — there is no “ASL Simple Install For Dummy’s” version available and one probably should be. Maybe with my offer of money contributions to ASL there might be one available soon…

William, KI5PN

There are some options available on ALLScan’s site ( https://allscan.info/ ), once there scroll down the page to see options… may be just what you are looking for…

William, KI5PHN

I guess I have xfce installed, not sure. couldn’t do anything with it.
so I thought I would remove it, but the command to remove returned “nothing to do” found alot of xfce related files.
I wanted to remove to save space
Mike