Node Remote 2.0 with ASL3?

Hi all

Does anyone have Node Remote 2.0 for Android working with ASL3 and can share their manager.conf file settings?

Cheers
Colin, ZL2FL

Hi there, you need to get into the firewall section of the ASL3 admin console and add a rule for port 5038

Also remember to edit the manager.conf file as described in the Node Remote documentation.

Perfect! Thank you so much :smiley:

WHere you able to get this to work I have opened the port but still not able to get node remote to connect.
I have changed the manager.conf to match line for line what is on node remotes site not sure if that is wrong or what.

Did you restart asterisk after changeing the manager.conf file?

Yes restarted it. On the app it will switch screens and then go back to the input screen and say wrong info

For reference, I have an iPhone so YMMV.

To enable Node Remote I made 3 changes to my node :

1. Enable TCP port 5038 in the firewall rules
  2. In /etc/asterisk/manager.conf, one needs to allow connections from other hosts. So, I changed “bindaddr = 127.0.0.1” to “bindaddr = 0.0.0.0”
  3. To make it easier to enter the AMI secret into Node Remote I added an additional stanza to manager.conf :

[remote]
secret = 12345
read = all,system,call,log,verbose,command,agent,user,config
write = all,system,call,log,verbose,command,agent,user,config

1. Restart asterisk

Yes, step (#3) is optional.
Yes, you can use a stanza name other than “remote”. Just be consistent in where you use it.
Yes, you can use whatever ‘secret’ you want. For me, I was going for something easy to remember/type.
Yes, one should be able to thin down the allowed permissions

Then, in the Node Remote app I entered the Node Number, the user name “remote” (to match the manager.conf stanza), the password “12345” (again, matching the stanza), and the Node IP Address.

Here is my manager.conf which works for the Android app so ymmv also;

; Asterisk Call Management support
;

; By default asterisk will listen on localhost only.
[general]
displaysystemname = yes
enabled = yes
webenabled = yes
port = 5038
bindaddr = 0.0.0.0 ; Comment when not localhost access

[admin]
secret = xxxxxxxx ;<---- your password!
read = all,system,call,log,verbose,command,agent,user,config
write = all,system,call,log,verbose,command,agent,user,config
;deny = 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 ; Uncomment when not localhost
permit=1.2.3.4/255.255.255.255 ; Uncomment when not localhost

Did you intentionally remove the semi-colon “;” from the “permit=” line?

What happens if you turn that line back into a comment?

1 Like

Yes as @WA3WCO was hinting to, this ‘only’ allows that IP for connection to the manager.
If it is correct, then all should be good.
If localhost ‘only’ 127.0.0.1 but a test to not use it is in order.

Also note that the cache on your browser may need cleared if you make changes.

Thanks followed this to the “T” and it worked i think it has to do with the username being the stanza name and that isnt documented anywhere that I could find.

It was in one piece of documentation I found, but I’ve tested it again with that commented out and it works fine. So that is not required.

I have done all was needed, but the Allmon3 stops working and the log says that 127.0.01:5038 can not be reached.
I will add the screenshot when I get back from work.
This is the original Manager.conf

After the changes from ZL2FL

Allmon error

So clearly there is something wrong and the Author of Node remote was pretty no help and I paid like everyone!

If you changed the “secret” in “/etc/asterisk/manager.conf” then you need to :

• update the “pass” in “/etc/allmon3/allmon3.ini”
  • restart asterisk (or reboot your system)

Resolved… But all request to connect are connection failed.

How do I correct the “Unable to fetch astdb.txt” error?

Jeff K3JRZ

I have Node Remote installed on my iPhone. I have no idea what version it is because there’s no way to display the version in the app. The Node Remote iPhone app works, but I’m also getting the “Unable to fetch astdb.txt” error. I watched a Ham Radio Crusader video about Node Remote, and the same “Unable to fetch astdb.txt” error is shown in his YouTube video. He didn’t mention anything about the error that was clearly displayed in the YouTube video. I asked Freddie Mac about the error, and there was no response. So, I don’t have a clue about the “Unable to fetch astdb.txt” error! But the Node Remote app still works despite the error!

A copy of astdb.txt is distributed by the asl3-update-nodelist package. That is installed by default on ASL3 Appliances but needs to be manually installed in other situations. If that’s installed and working, then it’s most likely a Node Remote problem.

I’m surprised that Freddie didn’t reply back. I’ll have to ask him if he knows of this issue & how to fix.

I did find this info on the reviews for the app on the App Store:

ln -s /var/log/asterisk/astdb.txt /var/www/html/(your_dashbord_dir -allmon2/allmon3/supermon)/astdb.txt

NOTE: Replace “(your_dashbord_dir -allmon2/allmon3/supermon)” with the folder name of whatever dashboard that you are running. I’m running Supermon 7.4+ so I would have “supermon” there.

I’m no Linux expert so I haven’t attempted to try this yet. the “ln” (lima november) command will put a hard/symbolic (when using “-s”) link between the two files. You can go to both folders and see the astdb.txt file in both.

1 Like