Node radio

Hi,

I’m in the process of setting up an Allstar node using a USB fob and when I get one an ex PMR radio.

At the moment on my Echolink node I’m using a Yaesu FT-8900R radio which works very well. It is OTT though using

a quad band radio as a link radio.

Has anyone any knowledge if these radios can be used as a temporary fix until I can get another radio

The Data jack pin outs are

1 packet data input, both 1200 and 9600 baud

2 signal ground

3 ptt (ground to tx)

4 9600 bps packet data output

5 1200bps packet data output

6 squelch

Cheers

Ken G0LCE

I would suspect any radio with a packet jack can be used.

Packet data input is equivalent to raw unprocessed TX audio

PTT is PTT

Ground is Ground

9600 packet data out would be RX discriminator audio

Squelch is COR but not needed.

You will probably need to tailor the audio in Allstar to get the audio sounding right with tx pre-emphasis etc…

Doug

KD8B

···

From: app_rpt-users-bounces@ohnosec.org [mailto:app_rpt-users-bounces@ohnosec.org] On Behalf Of Ken Robinson
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:43 PM
To: app_rpt-users@ohnosec.org
Subject: [App_rpt-users] Node radio

Hi,

I’m in the process of setting up an Allstar node using a USB fob and when I get one an ex PMR radio.

At the moment on my Echolink node I’m using a Yaesu FT-8900R radio which works very well. It is OTT though using

a quad band radio as a link radio.

Has anyone any knowledge if these radios can be used as a temporary fix until I can get another radio

The Data jack pin outs are

1 packet data input, both 1200 and 9600 baud

2 signal ground

3 ptt (ground to tx)

4 9600 bps packet data output

5 1200bps packet data output

6 squelch

Cheers

Ken G0LCE

I agree.

Having these ports on the back of a radio, such as the Alincos, makes it about a 10 minute job to configure, either as a repeater (if you have 2 of them...) or as a simplex node. Stupid simple, in fact. When my Micor was down for the count and out for repair last year...strung 2 alincos together, configured them for data, locked them on the proper frequencies, built the cable, ran radio-tune-menu, kicked the power on the one I was using for xmt down to 5w out to feed the amp...shazam, it was up and operational for 5 months without a hiccup.

Do the COR in software, hook up the PTT, audio out of one, audio in to the other, ctcss in asterisk. Could not have been simpler.

Next project on the plate...figuring out if I can interface the remoterig radio control extender set up to asterisk.

···

On 3/21/12 1:26 PM, Doug Bade wrote:

I would suspect any radio with a packet jack can be used.

Packet data input is equivalent to raw unprocessed TX audio

PTT is PTT

Ground is Ground

9600 packet data out would be RX discriminator audio

Squelch is COR but not needed.

You will probably need to tailor the audio in Allstar to get the audio
sounding right with tx pre-emphasis etc..

--
Bryan
In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.
Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Sent from my MacBook Pro.