"No registration for peer 'iaxrpt' " message

On a new Asterisk installation I am getting the following message and am not sure what it means, other than I am unable to connect using iaxrpt to the node when i try to do so from my home WAN address 174.x.x.x [intentionally inserting x’s in place of the actual IP]. I can connect using iaxrpt if I use the same iaxrpt client and settings, but make the connect request from a different IP than 174.x.x.x.

"NOTICE[5186]: chan_iax2.c:6863 register_verify; No registration for peer ‘iaxrpt’ (from 174.x.x.x)

The error occurs every 30-60 seconds for the last 12 hours. The 5186 number is not always the same, not sure that matters.

Any ideas?

Thx. Adrian.
VE7NZ

I’m confused. Sounds like you are saying you are trying to use the same IP for both the server and the client. Of course that will never work. Maybe some more details will help me understand.

Sorry, I will try to be clearer:

My node is on a fixed IP 44.x.x.x.
My iaxrpt client is on my laptop at home. The WAN address for my home internet connection is 174.x.x.x
When I use iaxrpt to connect from home to my node at 44.x.x.x:port it doesn’t work.
When I connect my laptop to my cell phone and use the mobile operator’s data network I am able to connect using iaxrpt.
Meanwhile, when i look at the Asterisk CLI with verbose reporting I get the “NOTICE” message above repeatedly.

Basically, you are saying and showing that you are able to register iax client from outside of your home network (nat) but not inside. That’s a new one.

The first thing that comes to mind is how do you qualify the iax connection.
user/pass only
or are you also using host address.
host = dynamic ;any ip
host = 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 ;inside nat only
obviously it is not logging in the criteria you have it set for.
I would scrutinize your iax.conf for the connection or ‘make a new one for when you are at home’.
For whatever it may be worth in tracking it down anyway.

I have not dug into this particular problem, but often when I encounter this type of issue the cause is a firewall blocking ports. I would confirm that the port numbers in the application were entered correctly and that they are open in your home computer and router firewalls.

Thx to Charlie and Mike for your replies. The setting is host=dynamic No host= xxxx setting. It is not a firewall issue. The 174.x.x.x IP is actually whitelisted globally on the network I am connecting to.

HOWEVER - the problem has resolved itself over night. Nothing changed. Nothing was restarted. I simply woke up this morning and notice no more error notices on the CLI and I was able to connect successfully from my home network to this node using iaxrpt.

I am not sure what happened here or why. I will look into the logs. But it is working now.