NNX Node Question

I read that the NNX node is an extension of an existing a server. If the server/node is down, can the NNX node still function.

Case in point… I have a server/node at the repeater site, and I have a mobile/portable node. I am in the process of adding a radioless node. If I tie it to the server at the site and the internet or power fails, will the radioless node still be able to function and connect to other nodes?

Thanks,

Rich
Node 51172

Yes, the new node keeps running if the first is not. NNX configuration is no different than any other node. NNX is really nothing more than a set of instructions to add a zero to your first node and then adding a 1 thru 9 to your subsequent nodes, for up to ten nodes from one. Magic!

That makes sense?

Thanks Tim… Perfect… Is there an easy way to change the node number in all the files that are required (script)

By the way, Just another thanks for your really quick reply’s… Much appreciated!!!

Rich

It’s pretty easy when you know how and pretty difficult if you don’t.

Has anybody out there written a script to implement NNX on a node?

Tim,

One more question, When setting up the second node, does the IAX port need to be the same as the one in the server settings (4569)? What if you are behind the same router? Could the second node be set to 4567?

Thanks,

Rich

NNX nodes are no different than other nodes. The same rules apply for determining the port: a second server behind a NAT router needs a separate port.

Hi Guys
I have just spent an entire day trying to make sense of this as it screwed my node.
In the end the only way I could get things going again was to delete the NNX number and return it back to the original node number and everything burst back into life.
I have to also reinstate the original node number back into my node making sure everything when back as usual, still missing the database but suspect this will return in time.

I have stopped trying and going to get a new node number with a borrowed callsign as I couldnt find any help files at all on this topic.
Prehaps someone out there might be so kind as to post a how to for this as it has been a day of extreme frustration.
cheers Tubby

1 Like

Hi Tubby,

I just went through the process of changing one node and adding another. Yes, it was painful trying to figure out why the node didn’t work… But ya know, they say what doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger… I’m very new to Allstar, so this whole thing has been a learning process… But in the end, I learned a lot. What I found is the node number is seeded through a number of files. I had to change the node number in rpt.conf, extensions.conf, iax.conf and allmon. With the ease of installing a new node from scratch, It may be easier just to do that. The only issue I have now it that I can’t seem to be able to receive calls on the second node. I think that may have to do with the port number I chose for iax.

Cheers and Beers… (maybe more Beers than Cheers)

Rich

Greetings ?

Before we start I have been playing with Linux for over 10 years and am very linux challenged and have little to no understanding of how it works let alone fix it if it breaks, my work around to rebuild from scratch as Im very much paint by numbers guy. Im a radio tech not a computer guy Windows is about my limit.

I have now posted on 3 different forums and have now been told by 3 people how easy it is without any actual help. From my end this is very frustrating.

This is what happens
I go into the allstar sight and enable NNX, the moment I do this I loose my node number, so my portable node becomes useless.

Next I change the primary node number in the Pi .
Then go back in and try and connect the node to another node that i would normally connect to,…nothing no super mon and unable to login.

So I edited the almon.ini file and attempt to reconnect, this time i can see the node number change but still useless and unable to do anything to control the node.
I cannot see that it is connected to the server in all star although it is highlighted in green does not give me any indications if it is connected or working.

After many hours for the second time and I gave up in disgust, and returned the node back to the way it was originally and went into the allstar link system delete the NNX number and get back the original number and bingo my node burst back into life and all is well.

Doug said there is a how to in the web site but but I have trolled through the how to’s for this for over an hour and can find no reference to NNX.

Someone else said just do a search and this will pick up my node numbers? how??

So the only way I can see to get around this is to use a borrowed callsign and go in and set up another account and I think this might be the best work around under the circumstances.

If you think you you might be able to explain how to get NNX installed I would greatly appreciate it but at the same time I dont want to waste your time either, as I can create a new account to get around this.
Kind regards Kerry

I really wish there is a step by step for what needs to be done on the node side. I can help you but I’ll need access to your node. Would you like to talk on the phone or radio?

Edit: I added instructions to the WiKi. The last part shows the edits required to your node.

https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/NNX#AllStar_Node_Number_Extensions

For the NNX number upgrade you can run items 1 and 2 on the ASL menu and update the the node number information and registration password.

Or manually update the following files in this directory /etc/asterisk/.

rpt.conf
extensions.conf
iax.conf
simpleusb.conf (whatever channel driver you are using)

You will need to change the node number from XXXXX to XXXXXY in these
four files.

You may also have the edit the registration statements and passwords as well.

Restart asterisk.

You can use a search and replace to find and update the node number.

Marshall - ke6pcv

Hi Tim
greatly appreciate your reply but after two attempts and now a friend down south also tried and got the exact same result as me there is something seriously wrong with NNX and I will not be proceeding any further.
As stated in a previous email it easier to borrow another call sign and go and create a new account and this is what I will do on my next day off.
Forgive me if I sound a little pissed but I lost my weekend to something that should be a no brainer and it has been duplicated with the same problem with my friends node so I know it not what Im doing but rather there is a bigger problem in the system maybe?? Im no expert, however I do very much appreciate your efforts.
kind regards Kerry

There’s no need to bootleg a callsign. We’ll give you another node. Just put in the comments you can’t make NNX work and you get another node.

My offer still stands to help. I’ll send you a follow up PM.

Marshall
I appreciate your reply however no amount of searching as you suggest has found an answer for the problem. I shared this with a friend down south who tried to do as I have on his node and it too failed and he was unable to get a perfectly good working node working again.
Trust me I have now and I say Wasted 3 days on this and countless other peoples time and NNX simple will not work and until some one can produce a clear “How To” seriously mate!
There is a problem with NNX and this needs to be looked at before anyone else attempts to mess with it.
I have a work around and that is to borrow another hams callsign and create a new account and i at least know this works

···

regards Kerry

Hi All,

This may have already been covered but if I have for example node 50000 and I add NNX to it, do I loose node 50000 when I add 500000-500009…?

Cheers,

Rob…

Yes, you “loose” the original number because Asterisk process DTMF one-by-one as it sees them. Thus 50000 would always decode first and would never decode 500000.

Keep in mind that you can always revert to the original node number by removing a NNX node per these instructions.

Kerry,

I am sorry that there are issues with your node and NNX.

I am trying to figure out this issue.

Out of curiosity, what version of Allstarlink software are you using?

Is it an image or a software install?

Where did you download the Allstarlink software from?

Marshall - ke6pcv

···

From: Tele_Tubby via AllStarLink Discussion Groups [mailto:noreply@community.allstarlink.org]
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 10:20 PM
To: ke6pcv@cal-net.org
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] NNX Node Question

|

Tele_Tubby
May 25

|

• | - |

Marshall
I appreciate your reply however no amount of searching as you suggest has found an answer for the problem. I shared this with a friend down south who tried to do as I have on his node and it too failed and he was unable to get a perfectly good working node working again.
Trust me I have now and I say Wasted 3 days on this and countless other peoples time and NNX simple will not work and until some one can produce a clear “How To” seriously mate!
There is a problem with NNX and this needs to be looked at before anyone else attempts to mess with it.
I have a work around and that is to borrow another hams callsign and create a new account and i at least know this works

··· (click for more details)

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

|

KE6PCV ASL Admin
May 24

|

• | - |

For the NNX number upgrade you can run items 1 and 2 on the ASL menu and update the the node number information and registration password. Or manually update the following files in this directory /etc/asterisk/. rpt.conf extensions.conf iax.conf simpleusb.conf (whatever channel driver you are …

Previous Replies

|

wd6awp ASL Admin
May 25

|

• | - |

There’s no need to bootleg a callsign. We’ll give you another node. Just put in the comments you can’t make NNX work and you get another node.

My offer still stands to help. I’ll send you a follow up PM.

|

Tele_Tubby
May 25

|

• | - |

Hi Tim
greatly appreciate your reply but after two attempts and now a friend down south also tried and got the exact same result as me there is something seriously wrong with NNX and I will not be proceeding any further.
As stated in a previous email it easier to borrow another call sign and go and create a new account and this is what I will do on my next day off.
Forgive me if I sound a little pissed but I lost my weekend to something that should be a no brainer and it has been duplicated with the same problem with my friends node so I know it not what Im doing but rather there is a bigger problem in the system maybe?? Im no expert, however I do very much appreciate your efforts.
kind regards Kerry

|

KE6PCV ASL Admin
May 24

|

• | - |

For the NNX number upgrade you can run items 1 and 2 on the ASL menu and update the the node number information and registration password.

Or manually update the following files in this directory /etc/asterisk/.

rpt.conf
extensions.conf
iax.conf
simpleusb.conf (whatever channel driver you are using)

You will need to change the node number from XXXXX to XXXXXY in these
four files.

You may also have the edit the registration statements and passwords as well.

Restart asterisk.

You can use a search and replace to find and update the node number.

Marshall - ke6pcv

|

wd6awp ASL Admin
May 24

|

• | - |

I really wish there is a step by step for what needs to be done on the node side. I can help you but I’ll need access to your node. Would you like to talk on the phone or radio?

Edit: I added instructions to the WiKi. The last part shows the edits required to your node.

https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/NNX#AllStar_Node_Number_Extensions

|

Tele_Tubby
May 24

|

• | - |

Greetings ?

Before we start I have been playing with Linux for over 10 years and am very linux challenged and have little to no understanding of how it works let alone fix it if it breaks, my work around to rebuild from scratch as Im very much paint by numbers guy. Im a radio tech not a computer guy Windows is about my limit.

I have now posted on 3 different forums and have now been told by 3 people how easy it is without any actual help. From my end this is very frustrating.

This is what happens
I go into the allstar sight and enable NNX, the moment I do this I loose my node number, so my portable node becomes useless.

Next I change the primary node number in the Pi .
Then go back in and try and connect the node to another node that i would normally connect to,…nothing no super mon and unable to login.

So I edited the almon.ini file and attempt to reconnect, this time i can see the node number change but still useless and unable to do anything to control the node.
I cannot see that it is connected to the server in all star although it is highlighted in green does not give me any indications if it is connected or working.

After many hours for the second time and I gave up in disgust, and returned the node back to the way it was originally and went into the allstar link system delete the NNX number and get back the original number and bingo my node burst back into life and all is well.

Doug said there is a how to in the web site but but I have trolled through the how to’s for this for over an hour and can find no reference to NNX.

Someone else said just do a search and this will pick up my node numbers? how??

So the only way I can see to get around this is to use a borrowed callsign and go in and set up another account and I think this might be the best work around under the circumstances.

If you think you you might be able to explain how to get NNX installed I would greatly appreciate it but at the same time I dont want to waste your time either, as I can create a new account to get around this.
Kind regards Kerry

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Tim - I dont think this was meant for me but for Tele Tubby

jd

···

On 5/23/20 10:58 PM, Tim Sawyer via AllStarLink Discussion Groups wrote:

| wd6awp | wd6awp ASL Admin
May 24 |
| - | - |

In Reply To

| Tele_Tubby | Tele_Tubby
May 24 |
| - | - |

Greetings ? Before we start I have been playing with Linux for over 10 years and am very linux challenged and have little to no understanding of how it works let alone fix it if it breaks, my work around to rebuild from scratch as Im very much paint by numbers guy. Im a radio tech not a computer gu…

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Hi Marshal and Tim
I apologize for not replying sooner, Im currently snowed with work right now and my next free time to look at this will be Sunday Oz time Saturday USA time.
I will go back and revisit NNX again and check the directories that you have given me to check on after I have changed the numbering system,
thanks for your patience
regards Kerry

Thanks Tim and makes sense. I have now filled 8 out of the 10 NNX nodes, so no going back.

Apologies for the use of loose instead of lose. Autocorrect can be handy at times and completely frustrating at other times. (It just did it again while typing this, but this time I picked it up. :grin:)

Regards,

Rob…

1 Like