New Build Allstar micronode

Hi there, I have built a micro node using a Baofeng 888 ,Raspberry Pi 3B, modified CM108, and using an Ethernet connection, following YouTube videos, mostly the ones by G5REV. However, I cannot connect to any nodes at all, not even the parrot node. I get the welcome message on boot up and all indicator leds work as should . The 888 and my UV5R are communicating with each other. After initial boot up and the audio IP address message, the 888 hangs on TX for a good 90 seconds before going key up.
Any ideas would be welcome!
Phil

We need to know more.

First, is your node registered, and showing green at http://stats.allstarlink.org/?

Second, do you have iaxRPT installed on your windows machine, and can it link to your node?

Thanks,
Bob
K6ECM

Found node 56374 registered. From my experience, an inability to link usually comes down to a typo.

Thanks,
Bob

Also, if you are behind a NAT router, is the port forwarding setup properly?

See also Troubleshooting - AllStarLink Wiki

I do not know what you are calling a ‘parrot node’ as there is nothing built-in to a default install outside of a command that has to be set-up correctly to use and is internal.

But, there is a file that updates containing all connectable nodes and connection info

do a timestamp check on /var/lib/asterisk/ rpt_extnodes file , if it is older than one hour,

systemctl restart updatenodelist

If you lack the connection info, you will go nowhere fast.
@Bob_Pyke verified you are registered so after checking the timestamp of the file, look inside to see if you can find your node# and info.

That all would be a good first step anyway. While you may also need to verify your port forwarding for inbound connections as Bob said, it will not prevent outbound connects. But if you are not in the nodes list, nobody will accept your connection. That is security.

Thank you gentlemen for answering, much appreciated , Yes I have a node, 56374. Parrot node is UK Allstar hub test node 40894, you talk into it and it plays back your audio. Sorry, much of router talk is over my head, for what it’s worth, I haven’t done any port forwarding, and no I haven’t got iaxRPT installed.
From the YouTube vids this was supposed to be easy! Thanks again for your time.

Key down on power up might indicate you have the sense of the COR signal backwards. The node will be timed out after that and not work properly.

Ken

Phil,
I can’t help you past my last note.
If you do not verify that file exits and is updating, then I can not proceed to check anything else as it would keep you from connecting to anything. It would be a waste of both our time.

Mike, where do I find the file to verify? Ken, how do I check the COR sense?
Thanks

cd /var/lib/asterisk
ls -l

you should see a line like this
-rwx------ 1 root root 334591 2022-01-02 rpt_extnodes

I believe it updates every 10 or 15 minutes
It should be ‘about’ the same size (334591) most important the date and time of the file.
If it is today and recent then you are getting updates
If the file is empty, you have a issue. if it is old you have a issue

systemctl restart updatenodelist

would kickstart it.

If the connection info is not in the file, you can not connect to it, so,
you understand why this is your first check. Before tinkering with config
Everything could be correct except for this file.
If you want a node to test connection, try 29284, it’s currently listening to dmr so no harm can come.

If you look inside the file, you should find ‘your node data’
56368=radio@75.177.148.135:4569/56368,75.177.148.135
56373=radio@98.196.228.228:4569/56373,98.196.228.228
56376=radio@38.75.214.107:4569/56376,38.75.214.107
56378=radio@2.85.98.117:4569/56378,2.85.98.117,y

But I’m not currently seeing it so the node is off or not registered when I looked.

Your node registration in iax.conf is how you get in the list.
If your registration does not show in the file, no node will accept the connection.

Mike,thanks for all the info, but, where do I get to those files to look at them? Cheers.
Phil

Well, I’m sorry if all that was above your current knowlage, it was not intentional.
And I may not be able to convey all that here.

I might suguest you look for instructions on installing WinSCP (for windows) and install it to remotely edit and see your files on your node for a beter understanding. It is a SFTP interface.

You would also need to manually edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config to enable that remote root connection.

Again, to much to instruct here.

It is impossible to escape the need to understand in some way how to edit and config your own system.
No matter what a how2youtube states.

Problems are also learning events ! And you will always have some

Ok, thanks, for your time, regards.

Phil,
why not show us a link to the youtube you used.
I will take the time to watch it and see if perhaps they skipped something, but likely something went wrong in your install.

Hi Mike thanks for that, here is the link

This is part 1 of a six part series.
Once again, thanks for your time.

Well, not much I can say as I am not prone to HAMVOIP.
It is somewhat different from ASL and I do not know all the differences.
Perhaps someone else may chime in.
But I would say that if you re-trace your steps in the 3rd video and re-do your sd card and proceed from the point.

However, if you have issues yet again, you probably should look for hamvoip support.

Since I noticed in the video instructions that you have already installed putty and you can issue those commands I showed above. WinSCP will also show you the same.
Just a fyi, that is how it is done. Those 2 programs will let you look/make changes to about anything in the system.

OK Mike, thanks for taking the time to look at the Utube vids. FYI, I now think it may be a hard ware issue with the CM 108 sound card and/or the Baofeng 888 radio, so will be remaking those soon. All the best.
Phil