My HT radio cannot communicate with my allstar node

I am building an ASL node using a raspberry pi 3b, a Baofeng BT 888s and a CM108 sound card. Everything works okay, IP address is reported on boot, DTMF codes can be successfully sent to and heard by HT, but I cannot communicate with the node with my HT, nothing is recognised on CLI client, and no audio levels are seen on the simpleusb tuning display. Can anyone help please

Since the node transmits telemetry and can be heard on your HT… To start with I’d do a recheck of the RX settings on the BF 888 and also check if CTCSS is turned on. If so make certain your HT is transmitting on the 888’s RX freq and transmitting the proper tone.
Since you say there is nothing showing on the CLI when monitored while transmitting with you HT… if the BF 888 RX doesn’t open it will be as you describe.

You might also include some info about the CM108 interface you are using and possibly the wiring mods you did to the BF 888. Possibly the RX signal is not passing to or through the CM108.
I’ve never built the node you describe so perhaps some one else with more knowledge will chime in.

Larry N7FM

Thank you for your reply, I programmed the HT (Baofeng UV-5) and the BT888S node radio to the same frequency and (I am using DCS tones) 115NN tone. As mentioned, if I send a DTMF code by Supermon, the 888S will transmit and the UV-5R will receive and I hear the message. If I key the PTT and send the DTMF code from the UV-5R the green led on the 888S but nothing is heard on the HT and nothing observed on the CLI client.

Here is a diagram of the CM108 mod

I can only embed one media item per post so I will send a photo of the 888S connections separately.

Thanks
David M7UGZ

Hi Larry,

Here is a photo of the Baofeng 888S connections

When allmon/supermon send commands to your node, they are commands through the manager interface and are not DTMF audio, just codes.

You have an audio problem or a cos issue or both.

I suggest you first verify the cos line is the correct logic and will toggle.
Once you have that, you should be able to adjust audio levels.

Thank you for your reply Mike, I have checked the COS state and it is Active High when everything is unkeyed:

REALTIME RX TELEMETRY DISPLAY:
COS | COS | COS | CTCSS | CTCSS | PTT
(composite) | (input) | (test) | (input) | (override) |
CLEAR | CLEAR | CLEAR | IGNORE | CLEAR | CLEAR

If I change to usbinvert the COS goes to Active Low but it remains in the keyed state:

REALTIME RX TELEMETRY DISPLAY:
COS | COS | COS | CTCSS | CTCSS | PTT
(composite) | (input) | (test) | (input) | (override) |
KEYED | KEYED | CLEAR | IGNORE | CLEAR | CLEAR

In this state I can see audio levels on the simpleusb tune screen and COS is detected on Supermon but it seems block PTT. I wonder if COS should be Active Low in unkeyed no COS no PTT state?

Hope this makes sense?
David

David,

I’m not sure what you followed when you wired the BF-888 but here is a link to Doug Crompton’s build of the BF-999 node. https://hamvoip.org/hamradio/baofeng888/ you might read through it and make a comparison with what you have. He also mentions COS going high when signal is incoming so it appears your setup is in the opposite state and may need the COS inverted from what you have. Also you may verify the COS pickup point on the BF-888. Perhaps there is a different point with opposite logic.