Issues getting allstar and echolink working

Hi there.

I have followed the allstar wiki and have managed to setup my allstar node without too many issues. I then went on to follow the part about getting echolink working. My purpose of settings up allstar and echolink is to further connect this into our club’s reflector and allow a few members who have neither the inclination nor ability to set themselves with a digtal voice setup. However I have not been able to connect to the echolink part of my setup. I first tried setting this up from a raspberry pi and initially thought that perhaps it was a networking issue but I quickly found out after trying several VPS hosts that either the wiki is incomplete and missing a step or I simple made a mistake. So I’ve been over EVERYTHING and can not find any deviation from what the wiki states to do. I get no errors and can see my connection attempts from the asterisk cli only for them to time out.

If someone could shed some light on this I’d be most grateful and so would the members of my club who this would benefit.

Hi Jon.

I just went though this. I feel your pain. Here is what worked for me.

• Make sure your internet firewall/router is forwarding ports 5198(UDP), 5199 (UDP), and 5200 (TCP) (Possible only a subset of these are needed, I haven’t tested it. This is what the Echolink website suggests and it worked.)
  • Make sure your Echolink node is connected to your radio node if you have them on different nodes. My Echolink is node 1999 so from your radio do *31999 to connect the two nodes. If you do not connect them, Echolink will connect an incoming connection but you will not hear it on the radio!
  • Make sure you are using different callsigns for Echolink node and your test connection. I set up KD4LQS-L (with Echolink validation) for the Allstar node so that I could connect from my cell phone with my regular callsign.

Also, you will need to test Echolink from a different network. IFAIK You can’t connect from a computer/cellphone on the same network (i.e. your home). I used my cell phone Echolink App but turn off the WiFi so it forces the traffic though the cellular network, through the interweb, back to my home network.

Once you get it working, set a startup macro to connect the Echolink node to the radio node to make the connection survive a reboot.

I’m no expert and don’t know if any/all of these are in the How To’s but they are the last things that I did to make mine work.

73’s

Mike

KD4LQS

···

From: Jon Nihill via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2020 7:23 AM
To: kd4lqs@arrl.net
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] Issues getting allstar and echolink working

|

M7KMW-Jon
September 18

|

• | - |

Hi there.

I have followed the allstar wiki and have managed to setup my allstar node without too many issues. I then went on to follow the part about getting echolink working. My purpose of settings up allstar and echolink is to further connect this into our club’s reflector and allow a few members who have neither the inclination nor ability to set themselves with a digtal voice setup. However I have not been able to connect to the echolink part of my setup. I first tried setting this up from a raspberry pi and initially thought that perhaps it was a networking issue but I quickly found out after trying several VPS hosts that either the wiki is incomplete and missing a step or I simple made a mistake. So I’ve been over EVERYTHING and can not find any deviation from what the wiki states to do. I get no errors and can see my connection attempts from the asterisk cli only for them to time out.

If someone could shed some light on this I’d be most grateful and so would the members of my club who this would benefit.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Thanks for replying so quickly, I have checked your list against what I have done so far and I’ve made sure I’ve done it correctly. The only part I haven’t done is connect echolink to a private node, is this something that needs to be done? I currently just have my all-star node setup and echolink configured correctly. I take it this must be right as I can see my echolink node listed on the echolink website and also within the client the problem arises when I try to connect to it. On the asterisk cli I can see my connection attempt but it just times out without any error.

···

On Fri, 18 Sep 2020, 4:54 pm Mike Rhodes via AllStarLink Discussion Groups, <noreply@community.allstarlink.org> wrote:

| KD4LQS
September 18 |

• | - |

Hi Jon.

• Make sure your internet firewall/router is forwarding ports 5198(UDP), 5199 (UDP), and 5200 (TCP) (Possible only a subset of these are needed, I haven’t tested it. This is what the Echolink website suggests and it worked.)
  • Make sure your Echolink node is connected to your radio node if you have them on different nodes. My Echolink is node 1999 so from your radio do *31999 to connect the two nodes. If you do not connect them, Echolink will connect an incoming connection but you will not hear it on the radio!
  • Make sure you are using different callsigns for Echolink node and your test connection. I set up KD4LQS-L (with Echolink validation) for the Allstar node so that I could connect from my cell phone with my regular callsign.

Also, you will need to test Echolink from a different network. IFAIK You can’t connect from a computer/cellphone on the same network (i.e. your home). I used my cell phone Echolink App but turn off the WiFi so it forces the traffic though the cellular network, through the interweb, back to my home network.

Once you get it working, set a startup macro to connect the Echolink node to the radio node to make the connection survive a reboot.

I’m no expert and don’t know if any/all of these are in the How To’s but they are the last things that I did to make mine work.

73’s

Mike

KD4LQS

··· (click for more details)

That was suggested in something I read so you could connect and disconnect it from the radio node separately. The 1999 node is a pseudo node (rxchannel=dahdi/pseudo.) I eventually want to do this on a repeater so that made sense. I don’t know if it is required or not.

···

From: Jon Nihill via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2020 1:00 PM
To: kd4lqs@arrl.net
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] Issues getting allstar and echolink working

|

M7KMW-Jon
September 18

|

• | - |

Thanks for replying so quickly, I have checked your list against what I have done so far and I’ve made sure I’ve done it correctly. The only part I haven’t done is connect echolink to a private node, is this something that needs to be done? I currently just have my all-star node setup and echolink configured correctly. I take it this must be right as I can see my echolink node listed on the echolink website and also within the client the problem arises when I try to connect to it. On the asterisk cli I can see my connection attempt but it just times out without any error.

Previous Replies

|

KD4LQS
September 18

|

• | - |

Hi Jon.

· Make sure your internet firewall/router is forwarding ports 5198(UDP), 5199 (UDP), and 5200 (TCP) (Possible only a subset of these are needed, I haven’t tested it. This is what the Echolink website suggests and it worked.)

· Make sure your Echolink node is connected to your radio node if you have them on different nodes. My Echolink is node 1999 so from your radio do *31999 to connect the two nodes. If you do not connect them, Echolink will connect an incoming connection but you will not hear it on the radio!

· Make sure you are using different callsigns for Echolink node and your test connection. I set up KD4LQS-L (with Echolink validation) for the Allstar node so that I could connect from my cell phone with my regular callsign.

73’s

Mike

KD4LQS

|

M7KMW-Jon
September 18

|

• | - |

Hi there.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

Can someone please confirm theres no extra steps the wiki has missed out? I have a correctly formatted echolink.conf ports are open. That should be enough to get this to work. I haven’t created a private node but the wiki doesn’t mention needing to create a private node. I see no error message other than the connection to the asl node doesn’t complete and times out.

I managed to get it working with the following command rpt fun NODENUMBER *3ECHOLINKNUMBER

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.