Install ASL Beta on Existing Debian Server

I was looking at the beta downloads and documentation. Is this for a raspberry pi and/or pc only? I was going to try in on a server.

Thanks David

I think you are asking to install AllStar on an existing Debian server. The WiKi talks about that…
https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/ASL_FAQ#Can_ASL_be_installed_on_an_existing_Linux_install.2C_for_example_on_a_VM_running_Debian.3F

Thanks, that’s exactly what I was looking for!!!

I believe I have it installed. Many hoops to get there on Virmack. How can I check the version number prior to going through the setup? Also there is no asl-menu correct? I do not normally us it, but it normally gives version number.

Thanks David

The menu should be there. As root do asl-menu. If you did the beta install you might have to add the new repo key and update/upgrade.

curl -s http://apt.allstarlink.org/repos/repo_signing.key | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt update 
sudo apt upgrade

Thanks, I had done that, but did it again. May have been out of sequence. I did install allstar-helpers, asl-dahdi, and headers and the asl-menu showed up. I still can not fine if this load is actually the Beta version. I have tried:

root@TanUnconscious-VM:~# dpkg -l |grep allstar
ii allstar-helpers 0.1-5 all auto-generated package by debmake

And

root@TanUnconscious-VM:~# dpkg -l |grep asl
ii asl-asterisk 1:1.4.23-9 amd64 Open Source Private Branch Exchange (PBX)
ii asl-asterisk-config 1:1.4.23-9 all Configuration files for Asterisk
ii asl-asterisk-sounds-main 1:1.4.23-9 all Core Sound files for Asterisk (English)
ii asl-dahdi 1:3.0.0.1.2 amd64 utilities for using the DAHDI kernel modules
ii asl-dahdi-dkms 1:3.0.1.20200801-0.1 all ASL-DAHDI telephony interface (dkms kernel driver)
ii asl-dahdi-linux 1:3.0.1.20200801-0.1 all ASL-DAHDI telephony interface - Linux userspace parts
ii libgsasl7 1.8.0-8+b2 amd64 GNU SASL library
ii libsasl2-2:amd64 2.1.27+dfsg-1+deb10u1 amd64 Cyrus SASL - authentication abstraction library
ii libsasl2-modules:amd64 2.1.27+dfsg-1+deb10u1 amd64 Cyrus SASL - pluggable authentication modules
ii libsasl2-modules-db:amd64 2.1.27+dfsg-1+deb10u1 amd64 Cyrus SASL - pluggable authentication modules (DB)

I just not finding a way to check if this load is the the beta. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks David

Starting the Asterisk CLI tells you the version:

root@Node-43865:/etc/asterisk# asterisk -r

AllStarLink Asterisk Version 2.0.0-beta 03/24/2021 GIT d1e9a8b
Copyright (C) 1999 - 2018 Digium, Inc. Jim Dixon and others
Copyright (C) 2018-2021 AllStarLink Inc.
Created by Mark Spencer <markster@digium.com>
Asterisk comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type 'core show warranty' for details.
This is free software, with components licensed under the GNU General Public
License version 2 and other licenses; you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain conditions. Type 'core show license' for details.
=========================================================================
Connected to Asterisk GIT d1e9a8b currently running on Node-43865 (pid = 22214)
Verbosity is at least 3

Omg, that was easy…lol. Yes its the beta.

Thank you David

1 Like

Ok one last question. I had to add var/lib/asterisk rpt_extnode file. I did make astdb executable, but says text file being used. Am I good to go, will the beta update rpt_exnodes file or is there something else I need to do?

Those files serve different purposes.

/var/lib/asterisk/rpt_extnodes (actually it’s a symlink to /tmp in the ASL beta) should not be made executable. It is the AllStar nodes list. With the ASL beta it is updated once per minute by a system service:

systemctl status asl-update-node-list.service
â—Ź asl-update-node-list.service - AllStar NodeList Diff Updater
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/asl-update-node-list.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Tue 2021-04-06 04:15:34 UTC; 1 day 16h ago
 Main PID: 561 (update-node-lis)
    Tasks: 2 (limit: 4915)
   CGroup: /system.slice/asl-update-node-list.service
           ├─  561 /bin/bash /usr/sbin/update-node-list.sh
           └─31622 sleep 60

Apr 06 04:15:34 Node-43865 systemd[1]: Started AllStar NodeList Diff Updater.

/usr/sbin/astdb.php should be executable. There are copies of that file in /var/www/html/allmon2 and in /var/www/html/supermon. Only the one in /usr/sbin need be used. astdb.php creates astdb.txt for Allmon or Supermon use. It has no relationship to rpt_extnodes.

1 Like

Thought I give a quick update. Been running a beta cloud hub node for over two weeks. No issues found and node has been running flawlessly.

http://stats.allstarlink.org/stats/47117/networkMap

2 Likes