I'm stumped, where to now?

OK, I’m completely stumped as to where to go from here. I walked through the entire registration process, got my node number/password, downloaded the R-Pi image and ran through the setup instructions. Everything seemed to go fine until I got to the radio part. To be honest, I was thinking that Allstarlink is similar to echolink, but just running on a dedicated app. But I’m missing the whole part of how you connect to the network. Do you need a radio? What radios can you use? Is it possible to run/connect/talk without a radio, similar to Echolink? Sorry, I’m not at all understanding how this works or how to get into the network. Thanks in advance and 73,
Dave
WB6RFV

Dave,

This is a good video to watch. It covers a good deal of what Allstarlink can do.

Marshall - ke6pcv

···

From: David Erickson via AllStarLink Discussion Groups [mailto:noreply@community.allstarlink.org]
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2020 3:18 PM
To: ke6pcv@cal-net.org
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] I’m stumped, where to now?

|

wb6rfv
September 25

|

• | - |

OK, I’m completely stumped as to where to go from here. I walked through the entire registration process, got my node number/password, downloaded the R-Pi image and ran through the setup instructions. Everything seemed to go fine until I got to the radio part. To be honest, I was thinking that Allstarlink is similar to echolink, but just running on a dedicated app. But I’m missing the whole part of how you connect to the network. Do you need a radio? What radios can you use? Is it possible to run/connect/talk without a radio, similar to Echolink? Sorry, I’m not at all understanding how this works or how to get into the network. Thanks in advance and 73,
Dave
WB6RFV

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Thanks this helps. However he doesn’t describe in detail how you set up the radios and connect them to the computer. I guess you need a dedicated radio for the link. Is there any documentation on the hardware required for a node? Thanks for the help.

This is what I use for a transceiver https://hamprojects.info/shari/ It’s $60 (UHF) or $65 (VHF) for the kit or $85 (UHF) or $90 (VHF) assembled and tested. Shipping is $8. You would then need a Raspberry Pi board to control it (I’m using a 3B+) https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/

hamvoip.org has all kinds of how to’s.

Thanks very much. I’m starting to get the idea now. I guess you can modify a cheap HT to work with the URI, right? How do most people access Allstarlink? It would be great on this site to have just a basic how-to with a high level description of what it takes to get on ASL. I don’t see that anywhere on this site unless I missed it. It’s taking some research but I’m starting to find pre-built nodes or radio-less nodes. But basic operation looks like you need a radio for the node, which you can then use another radio to connect to. Is that basically correct? Thanks for all the help. BTW, I was curious as to whether you know of any plans or kits to use the Raspberry Pi with a sound card to do the radio-less node? 73

Thanks, I’ll check that out. 73

Hi David,
Take a look at this little node. It really gets the job done and does away with a lot of the confusion over trying to build stuff if you are not amenable to that. I have had one of these ClearNode devices for about three months and absolutely love it.

No radio needed on the “control” end.
I have a " No-radio" node that is currently “bread boarded”.
I have a Raspberry pi 3 running Hamvoip, which I am thinking
about changing to the newest ASL version, a Masters Communications RA-25
a mic and a touch-tone pad ( you could use a TT mic).
The RA-25 has a standard 9 pin connector, and for a no-radio
node you only need 5 pins, 1,3,5,6 and 8 ( that is ground.)
I haven’t really used it, but I know it works. (tested with a friend)

de K8ZGW

This great, thanks a lot. Starting to get more clarity on what the options are here. It would be great if the Beginners Guide on this site could include a high level diagram of what you need to put a node together, and some basic instructions or pointers to how-to’s, rather than just how to download and configure the software. 73 de WB6RFV in Thornton, NH

That’s great, good luck with the project. What are you using for the audio? USB sound card?
Thx, Dave WB6RFV

David,

That is a great idea about adding a high-level diagram of what one needs to put a node together to the Beginners Guide. That is the beauty of this open-source project. Everyone is welcome to contribute and help out.

Allstarlink has an official wiki page to help folks.

You can request an account on the Allstarlink wiki. Once you have been approved, you can help out by contributing content to the wiki.

It’s a community effort.

Marshall - ke6pcv

Hi Marshall,

I’d be happy to work on that diagram and some basic pointers to good resources for the absolute beginner. I’ll sign up for the wiki.

Best,

Dave

WB6RFV

···

From: Marshall Oldham via AllStarLink Discussion Groups [mailto:noreply@community.allstarlink.org]
Sent: Sunday, September 27, 2020 3:26 PM
To: jdaviderickson@comcast.net
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] I’m stumped, where to now?

|

KE6PCV ASL Admin
September 27

|

• | - |

David,

That is a great idea about adding a high-level diagram of what one needs to put a node together to the Beginners Guide. That is the beauty of this open-source project. Everyone is welcome to contribute and help out.

Allstarlink has an official wiki page to help folks.

wiki.allstarlink.org

“AllStarLink Wiki”

You can request an account on the Allstarlink wiki. Once you have been approved, you can help out by contributing content to the wiki.

It’s a community effort.

Marshall - ke6pcv

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

David,

Thanks, it’s good to get advice and perspective from folks that are just starting out in Allstarlink.
Sometimes, those that have been around a while forget. A fresh perspective is always welcome.
Appreciate your offer of help to make it better for the new folks.

Marshall - ke6pcv