I have replaced the BF-888S radio in my AllStar node with a new BF-888S and rewired the radio according to the on-line instructions, but I still cannot set the RX voice level using the display in the ASL firmware

I have a keyboard and monitor connected to the RPi 3B in my home-built Allstar Node, and am able to communicate to/from the Pi. I have completed most of the setup instructions and testing, however I cannot set the RX voice level using the display on the monitor. I need help from someone who has successfully set the RX voice level using the display on the monitor to tell me what I am doing wrong. I have several dollars and many hours invested in building this node (including replacing and rewiring the BF-888S radio) and would really like to get it running today. I will be happy to provide whatever information needed about my node. Thanks in advance for your expertise and time.

ETA: From the ASL Main Menu, I selected item 4 Run simple-usb-tune-menu for Simple USB configuration. From the choice of options, I selected item 2 Set Rx Voice Level (using display) Then, I was presented with a screen that says RX VOICE DISPLAY: and an approximation of a loudness meter with points for 3KHz and 5KHz. I keyed the mic on my hand-held radio set to the frequency and tone squelch programmed into the BF-888S built into the node, saw the green LED on the BF-888S in the node light, and spoke into the mic on the hand-held radio. I got no response on the “loudness meter.” I changed the level from the default of 500 to 999 and tried again, but still got no deflection. What do I need to do differently? Or does the feature not work? Or am I misunderstanding what the feature is supposed to do? Thanks.

1 Like

Charles,
Can you confirm there is audio coming from the bf-888 when you are transmitting with the other radio? An LED indication may not be enough. Where are you taping off the audio from? I use the pin on the volume control that the audio comes into, not the wiper or ground pin. Do you have an O-scope or audio tracer to verify audio? make sure that you are connected to the mic input of the sound dongle. I have seen many get confused between tx and rx, input and output. Once you have verified proper audio to the sound card (dongle) then it will be software troubleshooting.
Rule of thumb - always verify the radio works before modifying it.
Good Luck
Mike