HSR-USB with ASL3

My Fellow Hams, I’m running a Hotspotradio-USB with the new ASL3 on AllStarLink and it’s running great but I would like to know how to get into the HSR-USB to change the frequency and or the CTCSS tones. I’ve read the ASL3 manual but still can’t figure it out. Any help will be greatly appreciate by this old 70 year old ham. Thank you very much.

Best of 73, Joe, WA4ONV.

Update: Finally got my SA818 working properly and was able to program all the parameters that I needed. I had to specified the serial device path that was missing in the SA818 menu. The path that worked for me was “/dev/ttyUSB0” just in case someone is having the same problem I was having. Thank you and best of 73, Joe - WA4ONV (62301)

1 Like

Have a look at : SA818 RF Modules - AllStarLink Manual

Joe,

Login to Cockpit.

On the right-hand side click on the “ASL Manual”

Then at the top of the page click on “Advanced Topics”

On the left-hand side under “Advanced Topics” select sa818-menu

This will explain how to use the new sa818 program to program your radio module.

You use Cockpit to login into your node using the “Web Admin Portal” on the left-hand side of Cockpit

Click “Terminal” at the bottom of the left-hand side.

Once in terminal type the following:

sudo sa818-menu

That should get you into the radio module configuration program.

Marshall - ke6pcv

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your help Marshall. I did follow those instructions to a T but I keep getting connection failed error. I did place the USB cable with the programing side up and also tried it the other way and it still gives me a connection failed error. I wanted to attach a screen shot but I can’t here. It’s working ok but I would like to change the default freq and tone. Thanks again.

Thank you for the suggestion, I have followed the steps outlined but I keep getting a connection failed error. My node is working great but I would like to change the default freq and CTCSS tone.

I sent you the screenshot of the error I’m getting to your business email, Thanks !

Couple others had a problem with the usb cable. Try a different high quality usb-c cable…

I think the hotspotradio-usb cable that comes with this device is a proprietary usb cable because you have to flip the usb C side180 degrees to program the unit then flip it back to use the device. I think my problem is the serial device path isn’t correct therefore it doesn’t communicate and then it gives a connection fail error.

Yes I know I have 3 of the hotspot radio devices… I know how it works… I also help others with programming the radio. 2 of the people I have helped and solved their issue… was the cable. It’s not special cable all high quality usb-c cable does the flip. I have purchased a 6 inch short from Amazon and it works by flipping. I have used a usb-c from a android phone that came with it. So what would hurt and try a different cable.

See page 8 in this PDF.

1 Like

Thank you for your help and suggestions. I finally got to the bottom of why I wasn’t connecting. Turns out that in the SA818 menu I had to enter a specific path to the device. I had the default path selected. With Marshalls help from hotspotradio I entered “/dev/ttyUSB0” in the path selection and everything start working properly. I’m very new to this mode of communications even though I’ve been a ham for over 50 years operating mostly CW on HF and years ago Army Mars. This has been quite a learning experience for this old man. Once again, thank you and best of 73. Joe - WA4ONV

Thank you, very much appreciated. Best of 73, Joe WA4ONV.

No, the usb cable is a standard cable. Any USB C cable should work.

Thank you for that info. 73 de WA4ONV

I am having the connection error as well. I flipped the cable and it is in program mode with the switch, nothing but the error, flipped the cable over, same results.

Even tried to use a different cable and flipping it too, no luck there.

I still get the same errors.

Any suggestion on the fix?

Rob - K6IRK

Rob,

Are you using the sa818-menu to program the radio module?

If so, when you get to near the bottom there is a section called “Serial”

Try entering the following in that section.

/dev/ttyUSB0

Then try programming and see if that works.

Marshall - ke6pcv

1 Like

Make sure you have the serial connection set to /dev/ttyUSB0 The USB has to be in caps and then ZERO (0) not o . Also, make sure you have the cable in the program mode. You should be good to go then.

1 Like

Hey good morming, probably you know that, but remember turn it around the conector, one position to programing and the other to use, and if port is used by any process you cannot manager it, be sure the port not opened by other task

Thank you very much for your tip. Yes, I learned that the hard way. Finally got it to work properly once I gave the device the correct path. Best of 73 de WA4ONV.